good quality plain DVDs in chennai ?

amateur

where can I get good quality DVDs (plain) in Chennai ? I could see Sony's one but it's the purple colored one - I am looking out for gold coloured plain DVD for my use - Can you please let me know where can I get in Chennai ?

Any Electronics shop (suc as Mercy), and all bookshops (such as Landmark and Odyssey) carry writable DVDs.

Cheers

Hello Venkat Sir,

all of them sell the DVDs that is purple in color , not the gold one (any good DVD in English in landmark or so if we buy,the inside color will be gold color and not purple one ) - the purple ones quality seems to deterioate in just 6 months - whereas the gold ones last for atleast 1.5 years.
Hence was asking for such a shop - I tried in Mercy already - FYI

Thanks much for your suggestion.

So far as I know, the pre-recorded discs (DVD ROM) are gold in colour while the mass market recordable discs (DVD R/RW) are purple in colour.

This is apparently because the former are created by physical pressing in the factory with moulds which creates "lands & pits" on the surface whereas the latter contain organic dye on the surface on which the laser acts during recording.

The 2 processes are different and hence the difference in construction / colour.

P.S. - Request techies to polish / supplement the above.

So far as I know, the pre-recorded discs (DVD ROM) are gold in colour while the mass market recordable discs (DVD R/RW) are purple in colour.

This is apparently because the former are created by physical pressing in the factory with moulds which creates "lands & pits" on the surface whereas the latter contain organic dye on the surface on which the laser acts during recording.

The 2 processes are different and hence the difference in construction / colour.

P.S. - Request techies to polish / supplement the above.

Oh ok, thanks for the explanation - ok this means we can't get such gold colored ones at all for our personal use - Only drawback in purple ones is that they don't last long for sure.

Amateur: If you can goto Ritchie street you can get Gold DVDs. 2 weeks back when I went, they even had Gold verbatim CDs/DVDs (made purely for digital backup). They have 100 yrs guarantee and are scratch resistant. The Gold CDs were prices 100 / CD and DVD was 120 rs / DVD.

Apart from that verbatim DVDs are around 110 rs for a 10 pack. Moser Bear Gold was around 240 rs for a 10 pack (they had just 2 left though)

You can buy MoserBear platinum DVD online @ http://shop.moserbaer.in/products-details.asp?id=137 They are prices at 1350 for 50 DVDs

Platinum features:
Scratch free disc
200 yeas archival
Unique patented coating
Videographers and Audio libraries
Media houses/ Entertainment companies
Storing important projects, music and movie files
These discs are a useful resource for all institutions where data needs to be stored for archiving

Last edited:
Excellent, this is the precise information that I wanted - any specific shop in Ritche street ? - (I know in many shops it could be available ...)

thank you very much for the information, much appreciated.

Sorry mate, I dont remember the exact shop, there is one shop in ritchie street itself which specializes on Moser Bear but even they dont have platinum. If you need platinum, online is the best bet

hi sir,
i too need those gold cds and gold dvds for storing my backups. if you can give some locations or some nearest spot on ritchie street it will be very much useful to find shop which you have mentioned.

thanks

When you enter Ritchie street from the Bata showroom side, there is a shop on the left side of the road (somewhere midway) that sells only CDs/DVDs. You can easily make out looking at the shop as they sell only empty disks.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back