Good Sounding Regional Vinyl Pressings

bhaskarcan

Hello All,

There's a very interesting and informative thread, started by our good friend Saket, about good sounding Hindi vinyl pressings here in HiFiVision. On the same line of thought, I would like to learn, discuss and share about good sounding Regional Music and regional vinyl records.

As the thread starter, let me start with Bengali music vinyl.
When it comes to vinyl records, we, the Bengalis, are blessed in a way that the first record pressing plant of India was set up in Kolkata, backed by one of the largest music company of the world, EMI. IMHO, this fact somehow helped to flourish the Bengali music and Bengali vinyl records a big way. There's a considerably large pool of Bengali vinyl. HMV used to churn out a healthy flow of Bengali records in a regular basis. Irrespective of quality of music(since that is very subjective and varies person to person), majority of the Bengali records sound fantastic.

We get to hear songs written by Rabindranath Tagore (Rabindra sangeet), Kazi Nazrul Islam(Nazrul Geeti), D. L. Roy (Dwijendra Geeti), Rajanikanta Sen etc. prominent poets/song writers of Bengal who created their own sub-genres by themselves. Rabindranath Tagore alone covered a very broad area of Bengali record releases with his Songs, Plays, Musical-Dramas etc.

Then there's a huge chunk of non-film, Basic songs which are called "Modern Songs" (or "Adhunik Gaan" in Bengali). S.D. Burman, K.L.Saigal, Salil Choudhury, R.D. Burman are few well known names pan India, who contributed greatly to this genre. Apart from local Bengali singers, we have many non-Bengali singers from Bombay and South India singing Bengali "Modern Songs". K.L. Saigal. Pankaj Mallick, Hemanta Mukherjee, Manna Dey, Shyamal Mitra, Sandhya Mukherjee, Arati Mukherjee, Talat Mahmood, Md. Rafi, Mukesh, Mangeskar Sisters, Kishore Kumar, Yesudas, SPB, Bhupen Hazarica, Bapi Lahiri are few of many other names that come in mind. The Modern Song records are literally innumerable in all formats, starting from 78 Shellac to 45 RPM EP/SP and everything in between. The Durga Puja was a major occasion when bulk of these modern songs were released and hence these are also called "Puja Songs".
We have heard the best of the works of RD Burman in Bengali Modern Songs. Since he was free of any film related bindings that a music director has while composing film songs, he vigorously experimented with forms, orchestration and tunes of his Bengali songs, all of which are exemplary master pieces. Same was done by Salil Chaudhury too. He brought rural folk tunes to modern arena and amalgamated same with western style orchestration, including Western Classical styles. Each of his songs are considered classic today.
Besides these genres, we have Devotional Song records, Pure folk song records, records containing folk dramas and modern plays and of course Bengali film music records.

After HMV, INRECO (Indian Record Company) also established a record pressing plant in Kolkata. Becoming a rival short of to HMV's big muscle in Bengali music. Inreco managed Hindusthan records to get their records pressed in INRECO plant, thus getting the Artists from Hindusthan Records sing on INRECO label.
Kishore Kumar was signed by Megaphone records. His basic songs were on Megaphone label, besides HMV. Polydor/MIL too had few Bengali releases, but those were really small in number, when compared to HMV or Inreco. There were many smaller labels too, like Gathani, Bharati, Kiran, Classic etc who used to get their records pressed either by HMV or INRECO plants.

So here we have a brief introduction to Bengali music and records. Shall continue to discuss more on this.

Kindly contribute with information and experiences regarding records and musics of your region.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Very well written and informative write up Bhaskar da. Really we, the people of Bengal are blessed with a rich music tradition. We have Rabindrasangeet, nazrulgeeti, songs of Atulprosad, DL.Roy, Rajanikanta, Baul songs, Bengali adhunik, movie songs, dramas and so on. Besides we have also Bengali Raagprodhan songs, kirton , shyamasangeet and devotional songs. Apart from loving songs of Tagore on vinyls we are pleased with the wonderful works of S D Burman, Salil Choudhury, satinath mukherjee, RDBurman and many more. You have mentioned puja songs that we got during the Durgapuja. Another thing was getting Mahisasuramardini the Taj built in air on vinyl which was once the largest selling Bengali vinyl . Please remember another famous Bengali drama NOTIBINODINI which was released on vinyl and it became a smash hit. Really Bhaskar da your writing makes me nostalgic. Till date can remember that my aunt had to stand on a queue to procure a copy of Gnayer Bodhu ( EP) , can never forget Manobendro's Bagichay Bulbuli tui, or Nazrul's elegy Robihara written after the demise of Tagore , Saigal's Bengali songs and wonderful works of pancham da.
I have however, kept aside Bangla Band and jeevonmukhi Gaan as both the genres don't have any releases on vinyl.
Regards

Last edited:
An example of a nice sounding Bengali song vinyl. The stereo separation of this record is fantastic. Each and every song of this record is nice.

View attachment 60319
During the end of 70's HMV took a project of reviving old bengali songs. They got the original artists to sing their own songs, with new orchestra arrangement. Hemanta, Sandhya, Satinath, Arati (all of them have Mukherjee surname btw ) etc., re-recorded their old popular numbers. The result was some fabulous sounding records.
The one mentioned here is one of many such records. This one is from 1980. The crisp and open sound, great stereo imaging and beautiful vocal reproduction really make this record a pleasure to listen to.

Yes, for this good initiative we have some good records. Other FMs from different Indian states please let us know about the vinyl release of your own vernacular. I am sure that just as we have music in our mother tongue and we have those on vinyls, other FMs also have such treasure. So please come forward and share your experiences.
Regards

A wonderful thread @bhaskarcan da. However, I have not used vinyl that much, I can say that there are many good sounding Bengali vinyl releases. Some examples can be Manna Dey's "Sara Bochorer Gaan", "Sara Jiboner Gaan", his Puja EPs etc.

During the end of 70's HMV took a project of reviving old bengali songs. They got the original artists to sing their own songs, with new orchestra arrangement.
Manna Dey was also approached by HMV for this purpose. But he denied doing the stereo remakes. However, he did some remakes of his own songs in albums released in Paramount MusiCassettes in the 90s.

I have however, kept aside Bangla Band and jeevonmukhi Gaan as both the genres don't have any releases on vinyl.
A small Information here: The first three albums of Mohiner Ghoraguli was released only in vinyl format. Their first album "Shangbigno Pakhikul O Kolkata Bishayak" was released in 1976 by Bharati Records. Those three albums were 45 RPM EP. There is a total of 8 songs in total in these three albums. These were never digitized officially. They do not sound good, The reason might be the low budget of the band during the making of their albums. However, these albums are claimed to be the first-ever Band Albums of India and these are the only Bangla Band albums released in vinyl format.

Thanks ,Anirban for this info. Didn't know that Mohiner Ghoraguli was released on vinyl. Besides this, Manna De's Sarajiboner Gaan , sarabochorer Gaan albums are very nice to listen to. Yes, his 45 RPM EPs are very good. But I have never come across good recordings of the songs of shyamol Mitra. Even some vinyls of Dhananjoy Bhattacharya are not so pleasing, though, all the songs are soul touching.
Cheers

Thanks ,Anirban for this info. Didn't know that Mohiner Ghoraguli was released on vinyl. Besides this, Manna De's Sarajiboner Gaan , sarabochorer Gaan albums are very nice to listen to. Yes, his 45 RPM EPs are very good. But I have never come across good recordings of the songs of shyamol Mitra. Even some vinyls of Dhananjoy Bhattacharya are not so pleasing, though, all the songs are soul touching.
Cheers
I have those "Mohiner Ghoraguli" EPs with me. But as they are not particularly "good sounding", I too skipped them. Later, on their comeback, Mohiner Ghoraguli re-recorded those songs on digital format and released them on cassettes. This time the sound have been great, but unfortunately no vinyl release.

In my limited experience, all 12’’ 45rpms released by EMI sound stellar. These include Manna’s Sara Jiboner Gaan , Sara Bochorer Gaan , Lata - Salil Bengali Modern Songs (mentioned before ) , Runa Laila Back Again etc. I am very much interested to dig up more of these records.

Also , as Bhaskar da mentioned - all 33rpm recordings made within the HMV project sound fabulous due to their beautiful midrange - notable especially is the Arati Mukherjee compilation, among others.

Last edited:
Aarati Mukherjee is undoubtedly a very good singer whose musical journey came to an end all on a sudden. I do believe that she should have sung more songs . She was once very popular and she sang in Bengal and in some Bollywood movies but she could not be another Sandhya Mukherjee. However HMV released a record of Aarati's Bengali movie songs . This vinyl is a nice one with good separation and overall good presentation.perhaps it was rerecorded in 1980 as FM bhaskarcan has already mentioned.IMG_20210629_224159.jpg

Thank you so much for raising such a nice topic @bhaskarcan da. Many contemporary music directors have enriched the lavish legacy of bengali music culture. Many of the releases being modern bengali songs including Puja releases have been an open area to music directors for experimentation and innovations. No situation specific requirement and absence of pressure from Producers/ directors have been blessings to this bengali music universe especially recordings.

Being a hardcore R.D.Burman fan, his finest recordings through LPs and EPs& SPs are really an aural treat to us. We have seen stereo EPs SPs since 1973 while full stereo recording in HFM was unveiled in Sholay during 1975. Later during 1980 to 1986, there are superb LP releases during Durga Puja, which are sonically just out of the world.

Minimalistic orchestration, acoustic instruments have made avenue to make the vocal (midrange) a priority for most of the recordings and Shure V15 Type III with JICO is a cherry on the cake.

Salil Chowdhury's LPs EPs are again a real treat to audiophiles in terms of recordings. Re recordings during later part of 1970 with popular songs from Golden Era have made place too.

I will share a few LP EP pics in this thread.

Sara Bochhorer Gaan.jpegSara Jeeboner Gaan.jpeg
The two Manna Dey records here "Sara Bochhorer Gaan"(1978) and "Sara Jeeboner Gaan"(1980) are very unique releases as far as Bengali Music is concerned. These two are purely concept albums with themes and songs flowing in chronological order following the themes. I have not come across anything like these two in any other Bengali album besides some theme based Tagore song compilations.
The album "Sara Bochhorer Gaan" or Songs of Year, celebrates the six seasons spread within a year, namely Summer, Monsoon, Autumn, Late Autumn, Winter and Spring. The six songs follow this order. The lyrics, Tune and instrumentation are set in such a way that each song depict the mood of the respective season vividly.
The Second of these two is "Sara Jeeboner Gaan" or Songs of Life. Here we have 7 songs depicting stages of our life from birth to death. And again, like the first one, the attributes of the songs here beautifully depict those specific stages of our life. The emotions are overwhelmingly absorbing as one can relate with songs' descriptions of his/her own life cycle.
As mentioned before, end of 70s marked the starting of a golden period for Bengali non-film Basic music as far as technicality and sound quality is concerned. These two albums bear the mark of that era clearly. The recording and reproduction quality are truly fantastic. Stereo separation and imaging is of top class. Any Bengali record collection is incomplete without them.

Regards

These two records are the best example of good pressed vinyl. All the songs are mind blowing too. However, apart from the genres mentioned by FM bhaskarcan there is one which none of us has mentioned so far. This genre is called parody song . Though I am not a fan of this , I am writing about this as parody songs got released on vinyls. Can remember one such. Bhupen Hazarika's Ami ek jajabor was parodied as Ami soytaner Chor. Don't know whether parody songs are sung these days or not. It is good to think that we in Bengal have so many varieties of songs. Our music is never film oriented. We have basic songs and those have immense popularity. Almost all the leading vocalists and music directors created Bengali basic songs and those were released on vinyls on regular basis.

View attachment 60378View attachment 60379
The two Manna Dey records here "Sara Bochhorer Gaan"(1978) and "Sara Jeeboner Gaan"(1980) are very unique releases as far as Bengali Music is concerned. These two are purely concept albums with themes and songs flowing in chronological order following the themes. I have not come across anything like these two in any other Bengali album besides some theme based Tagore song compilations.
The album "Sara Bochhorer Gaan" or Songs of Year, celebrates the six seasons spread within a year, namely Summer, Monsoon, Autumn, Late Autumn, Winter and Spring. The six songs follow this order. The lyrics, Tune and instrumentation are set in such a way that each song depict the mood of the respective season vividly.
The Second of these two is "Sara Jeeboner Gaan" or Songs of Life. Here we have 7 songs depicting stages of our life from birth to death. And again, like the first one, the attributes of the songs here beautifully depict those specific stages of our life. The emotions are overwhelmingly absorbing as one can relate with songs' descriptions of his/her own life cycle.
As mentioned before, end of 70s marked the starting of a golden period for Bengali non-film Basic music as far as technicality and sound quality is concerned. These two albums bear the mark of that era clearly. The recording and reproduction quality are truly fantastic. Stereo separation and imaging is of top class. Any Bengali record collection is incomplete without them.

Regards
Absolute bliss. Mind-blowing quality indeed.

View attachment 60378View attachment 60379

Regards
Superbly articulated Bhaskar da. Yes both of these concept albums are unique , and their thematic consistency propelled by the lyrics and instrumentation are very apparent even to the causal listener. The clarity of the sitar and santoor on few songs of ‘Sara Jiboner Gaan’ is something I’ve never found on any other bengali basic songs album.

The second vinyl in this pic should be a must for an audiophile. All the songs are beautifully recorded. In every system, be it a budget one or high end , this record sounds very sweet. Reshmi churi has however become a most sought after vinyl. The cover of Reshmi churi is awesome.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back