Goodmans axiom 401

vmscbe1974

Recently got a Goodmans axiom 401 speakers . Want to build a cabinet . Kindly suggest the best ribbon tweeters and midrange that can be paired to build a cabinet for this goodmans speakers .
thanks
Srinivasan

Recently got a Goodmans axiom 401 speakers . Want to build a cabinet . Kindly suggest the best ribbon tweeters and midrange that can be paired to build a cabinet for this goodmans speakers .
thanks
Srinivasan
Hi,

The Goodmans Axiom 401 are full range drivers. No need for a midrange . You may feel the need to use a tweeter but in my experience with the Axiom 301 and 201 drivers I did not feel the need for a tweeter.

These are very good full range drivers .Among the best made. They are very efficient and can easily be driven by a low power tube amp. They can't handle a lot of power so be careful with big SS amps.

Best use them in big cabinets with a tube amp.

Google Goodmans Axiom for cabinet plans.

Regards
Rajiv

Srinivasan hang in there buddy. No need to delete the thread. It may be helpfull to others.

I want to help you but I am not any expert. wait while others chip in. I can only say I looked at these spekers. it says maximum fq. range is 12000hz. so go for high fq. drivers that can handle 2 octaves below. i.e. <6000 and one more < 3000 so any high fq. which can go from 3000 and up will be suitable. Box volume will need to be calculated . Lets me browse and update. But dont take my word others will soon join in to help you.
Regards.

thanks
Srinivasan

Hi,

Can you please post pictures of your drivers?

Regards
Rajiv

Sure

Attachments

• 49B3872F-011A-4C30-BD1E-11A847CFE8D1.jpeg
    49B3872F-011A-4C30-BD1E-11A847CFE8D1.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2AB9F7D4-5007-4186-95C1-5A4E8D816C9F.jpeg
    2AB9F7D4-5007-4186-95C1-5A4E8D816C9F.jpeg
    849.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2E628893-3CD0-4827-8AED-06CDCD959B57.jpeg
    2E628893-3CD0-4827-8AED-06CDCD959B57.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 91
I found some info. Here is the link. You can measure Vas of speaker and than make approximate 'sealed enclosure' tweeter or small driver for duty above can be built separately
https://sound-au.com/tsp.htm
go to Vas measurement in the above link
Iam not a techie to understand but now on the go to make sure the Goodman’s sound good . Thanks a lot Hiten sir .

Are surrounds original and not dented ? The cones look pristine. It will be much better to measure these for TSP and then decide on a cabinet design. They will do great topped by a super tweeter. No need for bass drivers in an appropriate cabinet. But it all depends on their actual TSP and how they compare to the published ones.

Are these 10” or 12” ?

You can also look for popular designs around them tested and confirmed by other on the net.

12” sir

thanks
Srinivasan
I recently scooped a pair as well. Picked up some free vintage cabinets and they contained a pristine set of 401’s.
Was a two way set up in a ported enclosure. Tweeters are realistic/RadioShack.
Sq is very nice and efficiency is awesome but I see so much more potential.
Will follow thread and see what you come up with.
Considering building transmission line cabinets with external tweeters...or sell and find another pair of energy Veritas 3.2’s (best speaker I’ve owned so far). LOL

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back