Got a new AVR

VRavichandar

I have purchased a new Denon X1200W AVR from Flipkart. This was primarily to replace my basic SC-XH 175 Panasonic HTib. This is going to be a long post as it covers my experience, but also has some questions that I would like you to answer for me.
I bought the panasonic HTib a few years back as an interim measure. Though not great in fidelity, it was easy on the ears, worked well with my Panasonic LED. I used to connect my portable drive to the TV and play downloaded content off it. The HT supported only Dolby Digital and could not handle other surround sound formats. With more and more HEVC content I had to use an old Vaio laptop and VLC. Laptop -> TV -> HT. Obviously this was not suitable for any surround sound. With Dolby prologix there was some simulated surround, but was not happy with that.
Further I had a pair of Sony SSD 950 AV 6ohm 200W speakers from a 26 year old HiFi system (LBT905) lying idle as the amplifier conked out. So decided to take the jump and bought the Denon as I felt it fulfills my requirements. I auditioned a 2200 in ProFx Chennai but procrastinated buying as I had too many doubts!
Joined this forum went through a lot of posts that gave me some clarity on taking a decision. Unfortunately I don't have deep pockets to invest in many fine speakers, AVRs talked about here. Further my hearing is not all that great either! (Blame it on hours and hours spent on listening at high volume to walkmans, hi end audio systems, ipod and phones for three+ decades)
There was a compelling reason to buy from Flipkart and I paid 48K. It was delivered yesterday after much follow up - don't want to bore you with the details.
Set up was a breeze. Sony speakers are the front speakers now. The speakers from Panasonic HTiB are rated at 160W @ 3ohms per channel. Denon output is rated at 120W @ 6ohms. Took a calculated risk after capping volume at 70%. Connected the front speakers of Panasonic as surround and the centre as centre. The surround speakers are the front B at present. Request members here to suggest if these speakers can be put to better use as atmos. I know these are low fidelity speakers, but they have to do for the time being as I cant invest anything more at present. Further the system is at present set up in our 16 x 14 living room.
There is no subwoofer at present. Panasonics sub was passive. Denon requires active sub. I am trying to set the Front speaker to handle the bass. The Sony speakers used to give thumping bass with my original amp.
I have tried these settings. In the speaker selection menu, I have selected no subwoofer. In the crossover menu the least option is 80Hz. When playing music, I believe the bass punch is missing. I hate using equalizer. I can hear the bass in certain songs, but it is underwhelming. Any suggestions?
It was fun assembling the tripod for Audyssey set up. Worked extremely well and was a breeze again. Tried watching a few minutes of Avatar amazing surround effects.
That brings me to a doubt I had prior to buying this. Will my 7 year old Vaio (with hdmi) decode all surround formats? Seems it does. Used VLC. Avatar has DTS. But, Denon display says multichannel in + Dolby surround and not DTS. Is there something else I need to do?
I had no issues with my Airtel HD. I was using optical with my Panasonic. So I set my STB HDMI audio to Dolby Digital Plus. Denon displays it correctly and the sound effects were amazing again.
Had to use an Ethernet cable for the initial network setup as I have to allow the mac address in my router. There was a firmware update and it went through without any hassles. After ascertaining the mac address I set up my router, it works on wifi. Except a few internet radio stations, there is nothing much of interest for me there. No spotify! May have to set up a proxy at a later time. Tested Bluetooth streaming, works well, but some lag was noticeable.
A major issue initially was that I had to crank up the volume >50% for a decent sound. Later I adjusted the source level to +12db. Seems I have to do this for each selected source. Now I can get decent sound at about 40%. Is there something else I need to do?
Overall it is a very decent receiver. Excellent clarity on mids and highs. The surround effects even with my low end surrounds and centre speaker are worth mentioning. Combined with Audyssey it is definitely recommended. Delta: not so good for listening to music as it gives a spatial effect and lacks bass.
I will write more in the coming days. Thanks for reading!

Congratulations!!! Dont worry about anything much now. Enjoy your movies. Go ahead and add that atmos speaker and let us know how it performed.

Congratulations on the new purchase. 3ohm is not ideal cor this amp. Keep the volumes less than 50%. Set the front speakers to large and let the rest of the speakers settings remain as is.

MaSh

Congratulations on the new purchase. 3ohm is not ideal cor this amp. Keep the volumes less than 50%. Set the front speakers to large and let the rest of the speakers settings remain as is.

MaSh

Thanks for the input. I have set the front speakers to large. But still Bass is weak.

Firstly, congrats on your purchase...
A few bits from my side on your doubts:

In the speaker selection menu, I have selected no subwoofer. In the crossover menu the least option is 80Hz. When playing music, I believe the bass punch is missing. I hate using equalizer. I can hear the bass in certain songs, but it is underwhelming. Any suggestions?

This is bound to happen - you need to use better speakers with dedicated low frequency drivers (like a 3 way FS) or even better an active sub-woofer to get that "thump". Plus the impedance and power output matching of your speakers is skewed - not sure how much will this effect the capability of the AVR to drive them - but I am sure it will have some effect.

That brings me to a doubt I had prior to buying this. Will my 7 year old Vaio (with hdmi) decode all surround formats? Seems it does. Used VLC. Avatar has DTS. But, Denon display says multichannel in + Dolby surround and not DTS. Is there something else I need to do?

I doubt the sony viao is decoding all the formats while pushing through the HDMI, I think its the job of the AVR onboard decoder to do it. Try putting it to "surround standard" mode (or similar) and not the pseudo surround modes.

A major issue initially was that I had to crank up the volume >50% for a decent sound. Later I adjusted the source level to +12db. Seems I have to do this for each selected source. Now I can get decent sound at about 40%. Is there something else I need to do?

Not sure about this.

Of course the pro members on this forum can put more light on the issues you are facing.

Anyway, enjoy listening to the existing set up and save-up for upgrading your speakers...all the best.

you can add a sub to enhance the effect

I wish I could. Budget constraints :sad:

My sony speakers (3 way 6ohms 200w RMS) used to give excellent bass with my previous audio amp. I am still trying to figure out if there is some setting which will enhance the bass.

This is bound to happen - you need to use better speakers with dedicated low frequency drivers (like a 3 way FS) or even better an active sub-woofer to get that "thump". Plus the impedance and power output matching of your speakers is skewed - not sure how much will this effect the capability of the AVR to drive them - but I am sure it will have some effect.
Nindo Thanks for your input.
The Sony speakers are 2.5 feet tall 3 way 6 ohm 200W RMS - the AVR is rated @ 6 ohms. 12 inch bass speakers in a bass reflex enclosure (wood). I used to get the thump with the original stereo audio amp. Initially I connected only the sony speakers (all other channels unconnected). Even then no thump!
There is a stereo mode for listening to music - where all other speakers are switched off. The AVR is supposed to have 7 discrete amps - so I am assuming that the skewed speaker load wont affect the music play back in this mode. What do you think?
I did not find a simple 2.0 type setting anywhere. Still trying to figure out.

A few bits from my side on your doubts:

I doubt the sony viao is decoding all the formats while pushing through the HDMI, I think its the job of the AVR onboard decoder to do it. Try putting it to "surround standard" mode (or similar) and not the pseudo surround modes.

Guess you may be right. The video may be decoded by VLC, but the audio
may be raw digital encoded data.

Anyway, enjoy listening to the existing set up and save-up for upgrading your speakers...all the best.

Thanks a lot. I wish the savings grow at the rate of spending :)

Congrats on the great Avr. Try to change the panasonic apeakers since they are 3 ohms. Also to be safe do not increase your volume more than 60%. Happy listening.:yahoo:

Nindo Thanks for your input.
The Sony speakers are 2.5 feet tall 3 way 6 ohm 200W RMS - the AVR is rated @ 6 ohms. 12 inch bass speakers in a bass reflex enclosure (wood). I used to get the thump with the original stereo audio amp. Initially I connected only the sony speakers (all other channels unconnected). Even then no thump!
There is a stereo mode for listening to music - where all other speakers are switched off. The AVR is supposed to have 7 discrete amps - so I am assuming that the skewed speaker load wont affect the music play back in this mode. What do you think?

Is bi-amping an option with the speakers? The avr is capable..

Sent from my Samsung Galxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back