Got a pair of "Fried Signature Series Speaker Model A/6"

mgdelhi

I got a pair of Fried Signature Series Speaker Model A/6.

These are 10 years old and sound exceptionally well. Physical condition is so good that it can be mistaken as a couple of months old. The previous owner (US diplomat) had kept it with full boxes, thermocol and plastic intact.

There is hardly any information on the net about these speakers but the little information I got tells me that these are one of rare gems.

AudiogoN Forums: Fried A/6's -- An offer you can't refuse?

Speaker Asylum: Fried A\6 vs GR Paradox1 by jonbee

Fried Products - Speakers of Truth

One of these is being sold on eBay US for USD 900 approx. The condition is much inferior than mine. :p

Fried Model A/6 Speakers Audiophile - eBay (item 230573632732 end time Apr-13-11 09:12:45 PDT)

I think this is the beginning of my stereo setup for music.

Any views on these speaker?

How can I use them for the time being? Can I connect them a Zone-2 speaker with my Onkyo for music or should I use them as front speakers?

This is just for the time being till the time I buy my other components for a stereo setup.

Actual pictures of my speakers (before coming to my place) :

4l0mbt.jpg

1zfijw2.jpg

Last edited:
re: Got a pair of "Fried Signature Series Speaker Model A/6"

....wow specs.

Is it with a twetter and a single woofer 6.5"? If so, then it might be equivalent to their current Monitor 7 model ... 90 db ... 4 ohm.

Is it heavy .... close to 45 kg each? How much did they cost you?

No need to use them for zone 2 in your current system or use them as fronts.

You MUST need to pair them up to a high class amp in the region of 200 W. Get a dedicated CDp with a high class integrated amp or a pre/power combi and enjoy stereo at a separate location.

Last edited:

Thanks.

the specifications, as told by the previous owner, are:

34"H x 10.5"W x 12"D,
5-way all metal gold-plated binding posts,
Sensitivity 89 db.
Frequency Range +/- 3 db.,
32 Hz - 20 kHz

He bought them for US$ 1,200.

You rightly guessed about their weight. It is more or less same.

They are still in their boxes because some work is going on in my home and will be taken out next week.

If these can only be used with a separate amp, will they be just a show-piece till the time I buy dedicated CDp with a high class integrated amp or a pre/power combi?

I am so desperate to hear them in my home. and I am not planning to buy cdp or a new amp anytime soon, maybe after a couple of months.

Mods: Request to please change title to "Got a pair of "Fried Signature Series Speaker Model A/6"

Let me take a guess .... 10 yr old speakers .... original $ 1200 ... you would have paid @ 15 k ... that is a killing!

Thanks.

Now I am waiting for the next week to unpack it and listen to it in the limited option of hardware I have. :)

Bud Fried and some of his speakers are legendary. You are lucky !

Hi,

Agree.

Regards
Rajiv

Even I thought that this person is offering dead speakers for a while. :)

After googling, came to know what it is all about.

BTW, it is pronounced as 'freed'.

That's correct. I suspect Bud Fried's ancestors probably came from a part of Europe where they spoke some Germanic language. In German, 'ie' is pronounced as 'ee' and 'ei' is pronounced as 'i'.

Regards.

Some more information about these speakers I got from another website:

Fried A/6 floor standing speakers. Fried has been noted for it's studio monitors and home series of loudspeakers in Hi End circles for many years. They feature a Fried softdome 1" tweeter and a Fried 8" dual voice coil woofer. The woofer is made of kevlar, wool and paper and treated. Tight bass, punchy and will go down to the low to mid 30's. It features the MARS system. McShane Ambience Recovery System. System really gives a wide soundstage.

Specs: 34HX10.5WX12"D, 49 lbs, Crossover 2.7kHz, Black Ash, 8" Vented pole piece MCF Woofer, 1" fluid damped dome, 89 db, 8 ohms, +- 3db, 32Hz - 20kHz, 25-100 watts per channel, 5 way all metal gold plated binding post.

Was lucky to visit MGdelhi's home and check out the superb sound setup. its a very well planned, wired and beautiful set up he has... The AV rack appears loaded, with the monster onkyo 5300 sitting below... next to all the media storage Xtreamer etc...

The speakers blend in very well with the aesthetics of the room, no wire clutter anywhere, evrything concealed.... Sound was mind blowing as well... watched a few movies...

Forgot to check out the Tatasky HD demo with the AVR combo....
Listened to the famous, FRIED and Norge combo... was pleasure to the ears.... MG has been very lucky in getting the FRIED and also the Norge... both are in pristine condition...

One lucky and loaded mgdelhi :)
Thanks for playing the host..... and the data as well ;)

Last edited:
The A-6 is a good line tunnel enclosure using series crossover. The Gefco 8" are world class drivers.

Before seeing this thread, if someone had told me their speakers were "fried" I would have been ready with the sympathy! :eek: :eek:

Now I know it is a really interesting-looking product range, for those that can afford.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back