Got the first dose of resistance to HT

Santy

It was expected but not so soon. Today a guy from the flat just below mine came up to my doors at 10.30 pm and requested to lower the volume as its causing lot of vibrations inside his home. He clearly says sound is not heard but vibrations are making him uncomfortable.

It appeared that he was preparing for his exams. I told that I am just playing around with the settings of my new system and convinced him that I won't disturb him again. Told him that my family isn't around now, when they are back I won't find enough time to play the system.

But I really don't know how to manage this. Some of my components have not even burnt-in yet. Guess I need to befriend him and convert him into a newbie audiophile! How much so ever he likes HiFi audio, it may not be enjoyable for a listener sitting one floor below.:D

If this is the case for an entry level system, I wonder how some guys with mighty HT setup manage their neighbours. Sound- we can supress, but the vibrations cannot be helped I suppose.

How sad. :(

Perhaps, your Velodyne impact sub is the entity to blame with. In fact any sub, if not properly set up and matched may create this issue.

In my HT set-up I have not yet included any sub and I am satisfied without it.

In my case, my neighbours are keen to listen to my HT and they have ensured an invitation from me. Happy feeling.

The folks downstairs complained they day I got my Ayon CD-1s saying there's too much bass and vibration downstairs. You are not alone :lol:.

It was expected but not so soon. Today a guy from the flat just below mine came up to my doors at 10.30 pm and requested to lower the volume as its causing lot of vibrations inside his home. He clearly says sound is not heard but vibrations are making him uncomfortable.

It appeared that he was preparing for his exams. I told that I am just playing around with the settings of my new system and convinced him that I won't disturb him again. Told him that my family isn't around now, when they are back I won't find enough time to play the system.

But I really don't know how to manage this. Some of my components have not even burnt-in yet. Guess I need to befriend him and convert him into a newbie audiophile! How much so ever he likes HiFi audio, it may not be enjoyable for a listener sitting one floor below.:D

If this is the case for an entry level system, I wonder how some guys with mighty HT setup manage their neighbours. Sound- we can supress, but the vibrations cannot be helped I suppose.

How sad. :(
U do have to isolate the sub from the floor if u want the best performance. as a bonus u wont have any mor compalints from ur neighbour below.

in my dedicated HT i used an old tyre for this purpose. cheap and very effective.

@ Santy ......... shift to a bunglow ...... then only need to shut the windows and doors to be able to play loud ....... :D

Velodynes are powerful down-firing guys ... if possible, try playing around with the cross-over settings on it (if present). Set it at a point < 50 Hz, and see whether it makes any difference.

Perhaps, your Velodyne impact sub is the entity to blame with. In fact any sub, if not properly set up and matched may create this issue.

Ya but I cannot really blame that poor chap, after all I bought it. :)
Can you explain what you mean by proper set-up? And I was thinking, for a sub matching is not really important as much as placement and adjustments are?

In my case, my neighbours are keen to listen to my HT and they have ensured an invitation from me.

You are lucky but not all neighbours are same!

The folks downstairs complained they day I got my Ayon CD-1s saying there's too much bass and vibration downstairs. You are not alone :lol:.

So you used AyonCD-1s for just a day...?:p I mean how you manage it now?

Santy,
play the same stuff you were playing with the sub switched off & 'sound out' ;) the same guy below if he stills 'feels' the vibrations :D

I am sure he will like sub-off position. Rather I would give it away to him as a free gift.:rolleyes:

U do have to isolate the sub from the floor if u want the best performance. as a bonus u wont have any mor compalints from ur neighbour below. in my dedicated HT i used an old tyre for this purpose. cheap and very effective.

Ya I was thinking so, some kind of a shock absorber. Any other material suggested since the tyre might not gel with the living room? But seriously, wouldn't the tyre block the firing port?

@ Santy ......... shift to a bunglow ...... then only need to shut the windows and doors to be able to play loud ....... :D

If I had that much money, I would rather buy the flat below and add connecting steps! :eek:hyeah:

Velodynes are powerful down-firing guys ... if possible, try playing around with the cross-over settings on it (if present). Set it at a point < 50 Hz, and see whether it makes any difference.

Thanks, but this is my understanding... lower the frequency= more the vibrations... correct me if I am wrong? I will try that anyway.

Guys do you think something like this can subdue the vibrations penetrating the floor below? Any idea of the availability of a similar one locally?

Isolation riser.
SUBDUDE-LARGE.jpg

Or may be this could also help?
Dampening pads (ebay)
anti-vibration-pad_big.jpg

Seriously, after creating this thread, I haven't used the sub at all. :sad:

So you used AyonCD-1s for just a day...?:p I mean how you manage it now?

I end up finishing my listening sessions by 10:30 so that they don't come running again. Getting a cork floor and carpets soon which should fix the problem hopefully.

Did you try the cross-over settings at @ 50 Hz till now?

avidyarthy
I do not want to curtail the performance of the sub, but ensure its effect is not travelling through the floor. I usually keep it at 80z. If I lower it to 50Hz, I would some of the effects- I would rather turn down the volume. Essentially I am looking for the best material to keep the sub on top, so that vibrations can be dampened. One suggestion is the tyre, which I am not comfortable with.

The Auralex Subdude isolation riser is available in ebay.in cart2indiaonline but it is very expensive (Rs.4k+). The rubber dampener on ebay.in can be tried, but I need some advice regarding the same or any other simple solution.

Still I must try 50hz but I would need my neighbour's cooperation during testing. :eek:hyeah:

This is what I did yesterday. Thick foams kept below the feet. They are hard enough not to allow spikes to cut through, yet soft enough to absorb fine vibrations. I will check it out today but that bugger is not seen. His doors are closed. Would be happy if it remains that way :D

DSC04519.jpg

DSC04520-1.jpg

This is what I did yesterday. Thick foams kept below the feet. They are hard enough not to allow spikes to cut through, yet soft enough to absorb fine vibrations. I will check it out today but that bugger is not seen. His doors are closed. Would be happy if it remains that way :D

DSC04519.jpg

DSC04520-1.jpg

:D Santy, your starting to suffer the 'Hemant Syndrome' :lol:
Proof in the 'experiment' being a success will be only be confirmed when your neighbour 'down under' comes back to his house & does not come back running to your door with the 'vibrations' complaint:p

Meanwhile let the sub goes as 'low' as possible :eek:hyeah:

You can try using multiple ... 3 or 4 ... one on top of each other .... rubber car mats. They are cheap and available with any auto spare parts shop. In case your existing solution is not meeting the reqmts, you may try this. Should work!

The question is are the vibrations arising from the subwoofer itself and then passing through the floor downstairs
Or
The bass frequencies are being reflected in the room and causing vibrations

If it is the subwoofer itself then isolating it from the floor should solve the problem.

Meanwhile let the sub goes as 'low' as possible :eek:hyeah:

If he tolerates with the sub, I can really go 'low' since the floor below his a*s is the car parking. :eek:hyeah:
BTW what is Hemant's syndrome? :D

You can try using multiple ... 3 or 4 ... one on top of each other .... rubber car mats.

yes bro, I already have a spare, will try if the foam dosen't help. Thanks.

The question is are the vibrations arising from the subwoofer itself and then passing through the floor downstairs
Or
The bass frequencies are being reflected in the room and causing vibrations

If it is the subwoofer itself then isolating it from the floor should solve the problem.

The sub stays rock solid on its feet. The low frequencies are travelling through the feet to the floor below.
This is what I believe in which case, yes, isolation should help. Foam is one choice of material I am trying now.

If he tolerates with the sub, I can really go 'low' since the floor below his a*s is the car parking. :eek:hyeah:
BTW what is Hemant's syndrome? :D

Hint - What did hemant recently collect from you? :cool::rolleyes:;)

:p

On a serious note, I think the hard foam pads you have used right now should solve the issue :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back