Gramophone and the ABC of it!

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

I have an area in my home which I want to convert into a vintage area for beauty and show.

I am planning to add a Gramophone and a table lamp on the console. Its more about the looks of it and less about the quality of sound.

However I know very little about gramophone and its functioning, maintainence etc.

1.) To begin with I am getting a gramophone+1 record for about 2000rs. Is it reasonable or are cheaper ones available as well?

2.) I read some threads and found that vinyls come in 3 different speeds. If the gramophone cannot play all 3 types, which type of discs are more common and popular?

3.) Does anyone know of a gramophone which can play music via usb and auxiliary as well? The below link says that it is possible to modify gramophone to connect ipod to it but I couldnt get much of the process.

Modifying a Gramophone/Phonograph to work with an iPod

4.) What is the maintainence required for a gramophone?

5.) On an average for how much time can you play a gramophone after rotating the key? Are there electronic gramophones as well?

Thanks.

Hello everyone

I have an area in my home which I want to convert into a vintage area for beauty and show.

I am planning to add a Gramophone and a table lamp on the console. Its more about the looks of it and less about the quality of sound.

Although looks are important, in this forum discussions are more on sound quality.

However I know very little about gramophone and its functioning, maintainence etc.

Don't worry. You'll find out as you go along.

1.) To begin with I am getting a gramophone+1 record for about 2000rs. Is it reasonable or are cheaper ones available as well?

If it is a vintage gramophone it is very reasonable. If it is a modern reproduction it is a fair price.

2.) I read some threads and found that vinyls come in 3 different speeds. If the gramophone cannot play all 3 types, which type of discs are more common and popular?

Vintage gramophones rotate and play at 78 rpm.

3.) Does anyone know of a gramophone which can play music via usb and auxiliary as well? The below link says that it is possible to modify gramophone to connect ipod to it but I couldnt get much of the process.

Modifying a Gramophone/Phonograph to work with an iPod

Vintage gramophones reproduce sound mechanically, precluding an interface with electronic devices. Some fellow members have recently posted about an electro-magnetic pick up device which can be connected to the tone arm of a mechanical gramophone. It is very rare. You would be very lucky to pick up one. About USB connectivity I leave it to more knowledgeable and experienced members to guide you.

4.) What is the maintainence required for a gramophone?

Very little, apart from occasional cleaning and lubrication.

5.) On an average for how much time can you play a gramophone after rotating the key?

There are single and double spring gramophones with varying playing times.

Are there electronic gramophones as well?

Yes

All the best in your quest.

Hi
Gramophone machines come in two basic shapes . One with the horn and another without a horn- box type - called as wind-up gramophones.
wind-up gramophones - come with or without front doors(You can control the volume by opening and closing the doors ).
I suggest you to not buy the fancy ones displayed in shops and roadside. They not only have shorter life span but also may ruin the records. Go for an antique one made by HMV/Columbia/Angel or Victor. A good one may play for another 50 years. What it requires is just some lubrication/over-oiling once a year (based on usage/dust accumulation etc). Also do not forget to buy few boxes of needles and a good-sharp needle with play max 3 -4 records only. on further usage of same needle the sound starts deteriorating and record grooves too gets damaged.
I have a UK made HMV gramophone of 1930's and a VICTOR wind-up box of 1921. Both plays well even now.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back