Gravity - a must watch

Santy

One of the marvelous opening shot I have ever seen in a movie. Just when I was about to decide 3D is no more involving (rather distracting) this movie changed my mind. Great execution of 3D effects/moments. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both have performed superbly though you could see less and hear more of him.

What you might see for the first time are breathtaking explosions/ wreckage in complete silence (since sound doesn't travel through vacuum) and I enjoyed seeing that truth in action. It was cool to see the beauty of mother earth from space in various shades and colors.

We realize through the movie that what are so cheap on earth are so expensive outside it (oxygen/ communication). The movie succeeds fairly well in delving into the deep fears of everyone - being on the verge of death.

Towards the end of the movie, I am sure everyone would have felt that 'weightlessness' feeling. That involving it was.

Its a short movie but its so intense and gripping right from 0 min till 90 min that I am sure it will appeal to a great majority of audience. Gravity is one hell of a ride.

Thanks for the great review Santy. I think it has been a while a good movie with great effects came along. I think I have to wait till the BluRay release to enjoy the movie. Can't afford to go to a movie hall with my 9 month old :).

-John.

I thought of posting about this early today. I think it definitely is worth a watch (I'm planning for the second time soon).

In short, it is the kind of movie that is made for the big screen. 3D and IMAX is preferably better. It is thought to create another benchmark in movie-making.

I've liked the director Alfonso Cuaron's earlier work "Children of Men" and the realism achieved through very long takes. I think that's the way cinema should be.

It could be the benchmark for audio excellence as well. In space, we can't hear sound; but what we have are the vibrations that we can feel. The devastation and the apparent soundlessness of explosions is flipped to actually create an eerie texture to the mood.

John, I think you should consider watching on the real theatre. People should also see this doc
Director Alfonso Cuarn Discusses the Realistic Approach to Sound in 'Gravity'

Last edited:
They say that the sound is recorded using transducers

My question is how will the sound be reproduced...will we get the desired effect from our normal subs or will we require tactile transducers for this...I think there is going to be a lot of low frequency sound in this movie and tactile transducer will really compliment it

Well waiting curiously to download this and see what effects can be felt

They say that the sound is recorded using transducers

My question is how will the sound be reproduced...will we get the desired effect from our normal subs or will we require tactile transducers for this...I think there is going to be a lot of low frequency sound in this movie and tactile transducer will really compliment it

Well waiting curiously to download this and see what effects can be felt

Ofcourse the vibrations caused by impacts (between actors and objects) in the movie have to be felt by us from the subwoofer only. Ideally if the seats have Buttkickers (this is what you mean), it would be much more realistic.

ps: Watch in theatre if you want to truly enjoy this movie or wait for the BluRay if you have a good HT (with 3D projector).

Ofcourse the vibrations caused by impacts (between actors and objects) in the movie have to be felt by us from the subwoofer only. Ideally if the seats have Buttkickers (this is what you mean), it would be much more realistic.

ps: Watch in theatre if you want to truly enjoy this movie or wait for the BluRay if you have a good HT (with 3D projector).

I think this could be the test of the subwoofer's skills; as we "hear" a lot of low-frequency rumble.

Yeah, I agree ... watching a pirated download on a smallish screen wouldn't do any justice. This one is meant for the big screen; the one with Dolby Atmos, that is :)

@Santy/Kratu I agree with both of you ill definitely watch this in the theater but there is no theater in Delhi which would be having transducers to give the tactile feedback.

Even normal movies have great tactile effects that cannot b heard but felt for example world war zee and recently watched monsters university had great tactile effects.

I do have a projector but not a 3D one and I do enjoy watching movies at more than in theater because the tactile effects are a necessity now.

Finally I am gonna watch this movie both in a theater for the surround sound and screen size and at home to feel the tactile effects.... I am sure that this movie is going to have much more effects than normal movies. Lets see...

This could probably a good test for my new home theater room :).

Best use of Dolby Atmos I have heard so far (and I've tried to catch all the major Atmos releases). None of the other Atmos mixes come close. Even with your eyes closed, you are always aware of where everyone is around you (even if they are above you or behind you).

There must be some sort of (quite understandable) rule for movie mixers to keep dialogue predominantly in the screen channels and not pan it to the surround field. 'Gravity' breaks that rule spectacularly, doing something that a traditional 'establishing shot' cannot do, by keeping you aware of where off-screen characters are in 3D space around you. Best part, it's never distracting (i.e., you don't turn away from the screen, looking for the voice behind you).

Pair that with a tight film that doesn't overstay its welcome (90 minutes) and it's no wonder this movie is succeeding beyond expectations. So if you are driving distance from one of the few Dolby Atmos equipped theatres in India (e.g., Chennai), this movie is a must see (hear).

Good reviews about this film all around, gonna watch it next week at a Atmos screen !!

Sanjay, how was the bass in the Atmos mix? I have been watching movies at a Atmos screen with two big surround subwoofers at the back of the hall but never experienced any really deep bass content in any of the films in Atmos till date :eek:

Sanjay, how was the bass in the Atmos mix?
'Gravity' is not a bass heavy movie (like when I saw 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in Atmos), but the few times there is bass, you can feel it. What stands out in this mix is the pin-point localization of the dialogue around you, made all the more noticeable because there is no background ambience in this movie (just music and some muffled sound effects).

BTW, Dolby Atmos is no less subject to variability from theatre to theatre as any other sound system. There are 11 Atmos-equipped theatres (no joke) around me here in Southern California. I've been to 5 of them and they all sound different from one another.

According to the Dolby theatre locater (use link below, filter for Atmos), there are a couple of Atmos theatres in the Chennai area: Satyam and Mayajaal. Is that true? If so, have you been to both?

Movie Theater Locator - Find a Theater with Dolby Sound

Just watched this movie after going through many glowing reviews.
I have to say, this is the first time I enjoyed a 3D movies without having any headaches.
I almost ducked when the shrapnels were flowing towards me. Amazing experience!!

This is my first movie experience in Dolby Atmos and it's an understatement to say I was floored. The sound mix was incredible (esp. panning of voices, falling debris). Must watch in Atmos.

'Gravity' is not a bass heavy movie (like when I saw 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in Atmos), but the few times there is bass, you can feel it. What stands out in this mix is the pin-point localization of the dialogue around you, made all the more noticeable because there is no background ambience in this movie (just music and some muffled sound effects).

BTW, Dolby Atmos is no less subject to variability from theatre to theatre as any other sound system. There are 11 Atmos-equipped theatres (no joke) around me here in Southern California. I've been to 5 of them and they all sound different from one another.

According to the Dolby theatre locater (use link below, filter for Atmos), there are a couple of Atmos theatres in the Chennai area: Satyam and Mayajaal. Is that true? If so, have you been to both?

Movie Theater Locator - Find a Theater with Dolby Sound

Looking at all the rave reviews about Gravity's Atmos mix it looks like we can use Gravity as a reference to rate other Atmos mixes :)

Your right, the Atmos experience varies across screens. I feel the surround effects, especially the height surround channel sound better in a smaller theater. In a large theater with high ceiling the surrounds effects were not very impressive.

Right now there are 6 theaters in Chennai with Atmos screens. The Dolby theater locater does not seem to list all the screens in the map, but below the map they have listed all Atmos screens in Chennai except for 1 screen which I think will be updated. I have been to two screens in Chennai, yet to check out the others. Sathyam cinemas who operate theaters across Chennai will be installing Atmos in 31 screens which is in addition to their existing 4 screens and this will take the total number of Atmos screens in Chennai to around 40 in the next few months. It is being said that soon Chennai will be the city with the maximum number of Atmos screens. :)

is there any Dolby atmos theater in Kolkata ? :-(

I think none of them have installed Atmos. But keep an eye on your local PVR and Inox theaters, my guess is that one of them will be the first to install Atmos. Dhoom 3 which is releasing in December is getting a Atmos mix, so this being a major release will push a few theaters to install Atmos in time for the movie's release.

pvr cinema's have worst sound system. Kolkata is no
place for audiophiles. There was one Imax, they closed it even before i got a chance to experience.

Watched the movie today at the inox theatre, in Garuda Mall. The movie was excellent. The sound system in the theatre was nothing to write home about though.
Santy, your review led me to book the tickets for the movie. Wonder whether movie reviews on a regular basis, with points for the movie's video and audio, as well as for the theatre's audio would be of help. For me, this thread definitely was.

Looking at all the rave reviews about Gravity's Atmos mix it looks like we can use Gravity as a reference to rate other Atmos mixes :)
Yup, I would consider it a reference point for comparison. It is the most aggressive use of Atmos I have heard to date. And by "aggressive" I don't mean loud and noisy, but the most daring and creative use of surround panning and precise localization (taking the most advantage of Atmos' capabilities).
Right now there are 6 theaters in Chennai with Atmos screens. The Dolby theater locater does not seem to list all the screens in the map, but below the map they have listed all Atmos screens in Chennai except for 1 screen which I think will be updated. I have been to two screens in Chennai, yet to check out the others. Sathyam cinemas who operate theaters across Chennai will be installing Atmos in 31 screens which is in addition to their existing 4 screens and this will take the total number of Atmos screens in Chennai to around 40 in the next few months. It is being said that soon Chennai will be the city with the maximum number of Atmos screens. :)
That's terrific news, and fitting for the country producing the most films in the world. Hopefully the adoption of Atmos will spread to other cities, so that others can enjoy the experience.
Dhoom 3 which is releasing in December is getting a Atmos mix, so this being a major release will push a few theaters to install Atmos in time for the movie's release.
Aren't there other Indian movies that have been mixed in Atmos? Sholay 3D, Thalaiva, Bhaag Mikha Bhaag, Ghanchakkar, Shootout at Wadala, Aatma, ABCD-Any Body Can Dance, Race 2, Shivaji 3D.

Dolby Atmos Movies

Aren't there other Indian movies that have been mixed in Atmos? Sholay 3D, Thalaiva, Bhaag Mikha Bhaag, Ghanchakkar, Shootout at Wadala, Aatma, ABCD-Any Body Can Dance, Race 2, Shivaji 3D.

Dolby Atmos Movies

Yes, we have already had a number of Indian movies in mixed in Atmos. But Dhoom 3 will get the biggest release in terms of the number of screens and marketing spend when compared to other Hindi movies released in Atmos. Big movies always help promote any new format, so I think at least a few screens in the North will install Atmos for Dhoom 3.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back