Gravity - a must watch

@Shaiju
Thanks for the invite! Will plan it and inform in advance. Yes this is meant to be watched in Imax... Gravity: IMAX Behind the Frame - YouTube

Santy/Shaiju - Does Phoenix has the dome kind of Imax screen? I was checking the seats on bookmyshow and both Imax Wadala and Imax Phoenix has quite different kind of seating arragements. The Phoenix one is the traditional arrangement, whereas the Wadala one is quite different. I for one, thought that the Phoenix one was a more traditional set up and they are projecting the Imax movie on a regular screen instead of the large dome which is very visible at the Imax Wadala theatre. Someone in this forum also commented about some so called Imax theatres showing those movies on regular screens instead of proper Imax projection.

Do let me know once you visit Phoenix whether the experience is that of Imax dome.

What's the best theatre to watch this movie in delhi? Preferably somewhere in north delhi. Or do I have to go to PVR directors cut (vasant kunj)? Is that good enough? The only few times I've watched 3d movies in theatres turned out to be absolutely horrible with really really dim screens and way too much crosstalk. My projectors does a 10x better job than those theatres in 3d. So don't want to waste my time going to another such crap theatre.

Santy/Shaiju - Does Phoenix has the dome kind of Imax screen? I was checking the seats on bookmyshow and both Imax Wadala and Imax Phoenix has quite different kind of seating arragements. The Phoenix one is the traditional arrangement, whereas the Wadala one is quite different. I for one, thought that the Phoenix one was a more traditional set up and they are projecting the Imax movie on a regular screen instead of the large dome which is very visible at the Imax Wadala theatre. Someone in this forum also commented about some so called Imax theatres showing those movies on regular screens instead of proper Imax projection.

Do let me know once you visit Phoenix whether the experience is that of Imax dome.

IMAX PVR is curve screen, where as IMAX wadala is flat screen, IMAX wadala was constructed as a dome theatre but now due to digital projection they installed a flat screen which is almost 40% bigger screen, compared to PVR.

kneo,

I've been to IMAX Wadala quite a few times; when they had the dome screen and for Deathly Hallows P2 when they turned to flat screen. PVR IMAX was a first for me and I must say I enjoyed it better compared to BIG IMAX. Maybe it was the traditional seating arrangement but I would favor PVR over BIG. Try middle seats on rows H - L. I was on G and had felt it was tad close. Avoid row J unless you want to be disturbed by people walking in and out front of you.

Last edited:
Watch it at Prasadz Screen 4. It has Dolby Atmos sound system and the experience was unbelievable! Probably the best aural experience in a movie theater for me.

Too bad this movie was not released on IMAX here...

suggest theatre in HYD to experience gravity as its best... planning to go on sunday..

Me too..watched in prasadz in hyd today.
Awesome movie.
It gave me the same feel of watching "space station 3d" .
Only point not clear to me was that how come the abandoned Russian and chinese space stations which are in the same orbit survived the first parse of the exploded satellite debris.:rolleyes:

I finally watched this at a Dolby Atmos screen, for me the sound was the best part of this film. The sound mix is one of the most immersive I have heard in recent times and it made great use of the surround channels. Atmos helped the pans in the surrounds sound seamless and smooth but the the use of top surround channels was not very noticeable as they got drowned in the sounds coming from the side surrounds. This mix should hold good in a 7.1 theatre too and I guess we can get 70-80% of the Atmos experience in a 7.1 theater.

The 3D work is the best I have seen till date and is very less distracting. While watching Gravity I wore the 3D glasses till the very end, while watching films in 3D I usually get fed up of the picture quality and remove my glasses towards the end :D

It was nice to see a few Indian names in the end credits and I think these were the people who did some of the 3D conversion work at Prime Focus India :clapping:

Me too..watched in prasadz in hyd today.
Awesome movie.
It gave me the same feel of watching "space station 3d" .
Only point not clear to me was that how come the abandoned Russian and chinese space stations which are in the same orbit survived the first parse of the exploded satellite debris.:rolleyes:

The story had some major flaws but many would argue that the film maker can take some liberty as this is a work of fiction. But I went to watch this film with hopes of it being more realistic but I was disappointed, a film like Apollo 13 worked better for me in terms of story and stuff. The technical brilliance of Gravity is what made it work and helped cover up the flaws to a certain extent !!

Also, I watched this movie in a theater which was advertising the movie theater as having "4k Digital Projection".
Is this anything new or just marketing gimmick?

Also, I watched this movie in a theater which was advertising the movie theater as having "4k Digital Projection".
Is this anything new or just marketing gimmick?
The movie itself is 2k (there is no 4k master of this movie). But scaling it up to 4k has advantages, like not being able to make out individual pixels as easily if you are sitting too close to the screen.

And while upscaling doesn't add information that wasn't there originally, it does smooth out (minimize stair-stepping) diagonal lines and curves. Anyone who has compared a DVD on a standard def display vs a high def display has seen the advantages of having more display pixels that source pixels.

Saw the movie at BIG IMAX. It was a disappointment compared to PVR IMAX. The 3D was dull. Too much crosstalk effect. It lost details. Sound was not that immersive. PVR screen is bright and rich. Sound effects were more pronounced rather than just being bold and loud.

Thumbs up to PVR.

Watched today in PVR - a must watch if possible in IMAX - the sound engineers and SFX experts deserve Oscar! If you have'nt already watched please go to your nearest IMAX theatre.... go..

Watched the movie last weekend at PVR Lower Parel on Shaiju's suggestion. Brilliant movie and spectacular visuals.

This was my first Imax movie and I am a bit lost about what was so Imaxy about this as compared to the regular 3D stuff. Yes, the screen was bigger, curved and the images were quite bright, but it was not as 'immersive' as I was expecting the Imax experience to be. Maybe I should have opted for seats closer to the screen to have the screen completely fill up my field of vision. But having said that the image was super bright and rich.

Saw Gravity at IMAX 3D, a must watch for the technical brilliance. While my all time favorite movie remains to be Apollo 13, the visuals, the concept of just 2 actors holding the story for 90 mins and 3D effect made me actually watch it again!

Highly recommended.

P.S. Second time I watched it at a regular PVR screen in 3D. It was at Mega Mall Gurgaon. Horrible seats, diffusing red light from EXIT logos on to the screen and poor 3D with below par screen brightness. Should we not start a thread in General lounge sharing best and worst theater screens in each cities so our fellow HFVians can chose better venues to enjoy their movies?

The IMAX release of Gravity will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.
Unquote

This is from here on the IMAX site. Just wondering if a remaster would be quite the same as an original IMAX version or would it come up short of a full blown IMAX experience?
No IMAX here in Nagpur unfortunately:sad:

Hi

Hats off to the Director who could produce a whole movie with almost only one star and still able to make you sit on the edge of the seat with his visuals, music and direction, may be too early to say but surely OSCAR in the waiting.

Regards

sub

Great thing is, it's more than a month (2nd month) and this movie is still showing in PVR (DAILY 3 SHOWS). But 100 Crore Club hindi movie doesn't survive even for ONE month :lol: Many rubbish movies earn 100 Crores and get a tag of Superhit, don't know how?

Anyways, Also noticed in the movie when Ryan was crying her tears were flying/going down slowly on the screen (every thing was moving slowly but it was awesome). After the blast of Chinese Station, it was looking like the objects were coming out from the screen, really for a moment I was saving my self from them and my eyes were flickering :eek:hyeah:

Really great work!!! :clapping:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back