Great music albums...recorded really well!!

zoso02

Hey...I tried to post this to an old thread but couldn't hence a new thread.

I wanted your opinions on some great albums that have been recorded brilliantly. I also wanted to share a few of my fav albums that have been recorded well...if u like Classic Rock, Rock, Blues, Jazz etc. then u should definitely give these a shot. They are not the usual...common ones but if u download you should be able to find the FLAC files...else buy online if you don't already have them...else come home and will burn some for u:) so here goes;

1. Eva Cassidy - Songbird
2. Sara K - Hell or High Water
3. Natalie Merchant in Concert
4. Gomez - Bring It On
5. Beck - Sea Change
6. Bikram Ghosh - Beyond Rhythmscape
7. Diana Krall - Live in Paris
8. Eric Clapton - Unplugged
9. Dev D - OST
10. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
11. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
12. Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill
13. Joni Mitchell - Blue
14. Mary J Blige - Reflection (A Retrospective)
15. Crosby,Stills, Nash and Young - 4 Way Street
16. Best of Rare Earth
17. Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenour - Harlequin
18. America's Greatest Hits
19. Van Morrison - Moondance
20. Bad Company - Burnin' Sky

There are so many more but too tired now...will save it for later. Do let me know your list as well...would love to listen!!

Good night...

Steely Dan on 180g pressing is a great test of tightness of bass response (especially the number Black Cow). Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms (also 180g pressing) is another reference records for me. America Greatest Hits is another great record, especially for delineating acoustic instruments so well in the acoustic space, though what I have is a lesser pressing. CD version is also quite good. George Martin (of Beatles fame) is at work here. And most songs were recorded at the famed EMI Abbey Road Studios. I also like Jeff Buckley's Grace a lot. For sheer jazz dynamics and out-Frank-Sinatra Frank Sinatra voices, Michael Buble and Jamie Cullum albums come to mind. Both are on heavy rotation for me these days. One recording I really like is "River of Sorrow", a Chinese classical album. You need to hear what a two-stringed bow instrument (erhu) with python skin covering the resonating chamber can do in terms of sheer dynamics. It out-violins the best of violins. Of course it helps that it was mastered on XRCD.

For sheer loudness without falling into the trap of over compression and distortion, Bruce Swedien's masterings of Michael Jackson albums are still considered benchmarks by many studio engineers.

More to come....

Nice thread!

I love the drum in Unknown Pleasure-Joy Division (shadow play). Will update on more. Thought of putting it up as I was listening to it. :yahoo:

This is a well recorded album
m42877yby0s.jpg

Live Concerts albums which come 'alive':)

Peter Frampton/Frampton Comes Alive
The Allman Brothers/Live At Filmore East
Crosby Stills Nash & Young/Four Way Street
Neil Young/Live Rust
Jimi Hendrix,Band Of Gypsies/Live At Filmore East
Bob Dylan/Newport Folk Festival '65
Cream/Live 68-70,Live At Royal Albert Hall 2005
Grateful Dead/Live Dead
Simon & Garfunkel/Central Park
Woodstock

you are like a hurricane there's calm in your eye and I'm gettin' blown away
YouTube - NEIL YOUNG & Crazy Horse - Like A Hurricane (Live Rust)

Two more that u guys must try...really amazing musicality and recording!

Aaron Neville - Warm your heart
BT - A Binary Universe

Will keep posting more as I listen!

1.Cafe Blue, Mythologies -----------------Patricia Barber
2.The Wall-------------------Pink Floyd
3.Dire straits ------------All most all his albums
4. Song bird, Somewhere, American Tunes, Imagine----------------Eva Cassidy
5. The Essentials-----------------Neil Diamond
6. The Essentials-----------------Leonard Cohen
7. Making Music --------------Zakir Hussain

Guys,

How do you identify recording quality of a CD? Just purely based on price ? or ?

Can you also mention the label of recording company ? It will help people interested in buying these albums.

Thanks

My all time favourites...

CD - The Best of Fourplay - Warner Bros.Made in Germany - Rs.445

LP - Holly Cole - Temptation(double LP)
200gms Classic Records - QUIEX SV-P Hand Made - Super Vinyl Profile - (If I recollect 60 Singapore Dollars)

Cheers!

1. Steve Winwood: Seven Lives (Sony/BMG) - bought at Rhythm House-Rs.499/- (Great songs & music - ECs solo on Dirty City is an eye-opener).
2. Mickey Harts Mystery Box (Ryko) - bought at Rhythm House-Rs.600/- (Fabulous harmonies with a great groove through-out)
3. Bela Fleck & the Fleck tones (Warner Bros.): Greatest Hits of the 20th Century - bought thru online store-Rs.600/- (Groovy Fusion music)
4. Susan Tedeschi: Hope & Desire (Verve Forecast) - bought at Rhythm House-Rs.395/- (One of my favourite voices - In this album she covers famous artists & outshines them all)
5.Robben Ford & the Blue Line: Handful of Blues (Blue Thumb/MCA) - bought thru online store-Rs.525/- My favourite guitarist (ignore the voice, which pales before his mastery of the instrument) - A great album all the way thru.

These are some of the albums that I like. Though I am not, in a real sense, an audiophile, these albums would sound great on any good system. Still, individual tastes differ.

Last edited:
Surprised No takers from Bollywood and tollywood side.

My list

Mungaru male(kannada) : Music director Vidya sagar
Woh Lamhe(Hindi) : Pritam
Dostana(Hindi) : vishal sekhar
Awara(telugu) : Yuvan sankar raja
Yamudu(telugu) : devisriprasad
Race(Hindi) : Pritam

And there are quite a few.

No matter how great the music system is without good to great recordings it means nothing.

Thought u guys would like the below link!
Honor Roll of Dynamic Recordings

Here are a few more that I could recollect. Love all three for the music and recording!

Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Roger Waters Amused to Death
Marillion Misplaced Childhood

Kittuthere are some well known labels like Sheffield Lab, Chesky, Blue Note, ECM, Winter & Winter etc that are good however the more I listen I feel that there is no hard and fast rule for me. I like some and I dont like someregardless of the label. I experiment a lot with musicthanks to FLAC downloadsand then buy a CD if I really like it ?

SoundofMusicure so right on the Eva Cassidy musicsounds beautiful. Songbird and Live at the Blues Alley is by far my fav of her albums.

Recent discoveries for me, all these albums have excellent sonics:

1. Tabula Rasa (Bela Fleck - banjo, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt - Mohan Veena, Jie-Bing Chen - erh-hu, Ronu Majumdar - bansuri, Poovalur Srinivasan - mridangam and Sangeeta Shankar - violin) - a fusion of the western banjo (I never knew a banjo had so much depth), Hindustani (Mohan veena), carnatic violin and mridangam, and the very oriental erh-hu. Recorded with tubed mics and analog electronics custom tweaked by the master Tim de Paravicini himself, without using any compression, limiting of any sort, noise reduction or equalization, then finally mastered as DSD (SACD) from the analog tapes. Needless to say, the sonics are reference grade.
The music for me is a very complex confluence and I am still trying to absorb even the rough outlines. A Water Lily record, and lives up to the reputation of the label.

2. Zakir Hussain - Making Music. This was a surprise find at Landmark yesterday. Messrs Zakir Hussain, John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar), Jan Garbarek (tenor and alto sax) and Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia are the star cast. The overall level is very low in the best tradition of ECM Record's pressings, but this results in some startling dynamics, especially from the sax and acoustic giutar. Very good music too.

3. Remember Shakti - recorded live at Rang Bhavan and Shanmukhananda Hall (both in Mumbai). I thought that only classical live albums are worth listening to (from a purely sonics point of view). This album changed my mind. I cant recall the name of the label but I think it's French.

Back