Great Tasting Vinyl

malvai

Banned
Banned
As I collect more and more vinyl, I realise that a whole lot of GREAT music has been recorded before the advent of the CD. Or for that matter, even before the Compact cassette became the norm.

While a lot of it is easily available on CD today, a whole lot of it isn't.

2 years ago, had anyone said this to me, I would have chuckled disbelievingly...

But what I say is a fact!

Every time I go on a Vinyl hunt, I find a Vinyl or two that has just not been issued on CD or even if it were - very, very limited runs!

One of the more recent ones that I picked was a superb Jazz fusion bands from the 70s, called Caldera.

Here is what they sound like (A song from the Caldera "Dream Child" album that I picked up):

YouTube - CALDERA - Dream Child

As we go along I'll list out more great stuff that I have collected in the last 2 years and some more from my continuing hunt. I know there are a lot of you out here who share the same kind of passion. And it would be really nice if you guys can share some of the rare gems that you have in your rack!

Great TASTING Manav?
I hope you are not nibbling at your vinyls.
That would really be a first for a vinyl lover :)

Manav, exactly that's why listening to vinyl is a great hobby. You can taste (by ears :)) different music. I listen to all types of music which sounds good to my ears. I liked the Caldera song you have posted. An accidental find was osibisa album osibirock song komfo. Will try to post few vinyls I have, most are 'popular' music so won't be rare and unknown but pl. tell me which are good and rare.
Thanks

Don't know if this are rare ? but comments/info on following titles will be very much appreciated.
- Frank Sinatra sings Cole porter
- Beatles -- Rubber Soul
- Kraftwerk -- Trans Europe Express
- Be yourself Tonight -- Eurythmics
- Grace Jones -- Isand Life
- Transvision Vamp -- Pop Art
- David Cassidy -- The Higher they climb
- Elgar pomp & circumstances -- Sir Arthur Bliss (London Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Rimsky korsakov-Scheherazade -- Zubin Mehta (Los Angles Philharmonic Orchestra)
Thanks

Beatles albums can never be considered "rare" as there were probably several million pressed in their heyday, but of late especially in India, there does seem to be a bit of a scarcity, probably due to hoarding, or sellers holding out for higher international bids (Beatles Indian pressings are highly sought after by loony foreign collectors, for reasons best known to them and the Lord Above).

Of course, I'm presuming you have an Indian pressing. If it's US or UK (especially UK, as that would contain the tracks as the Beatles recorded them, rather than the botched-up Capitol issues with odd tracks missing and others spliced in), hold on tight! The album itself is a classic, though the Beatles went on to surpass it with almost every record they put out in the following years

On the original subject of LPs unissued on CD (well until 2005 anyway - I bought this in the late 90s when it was definitely unavailable on CD), I have a gorgeous 2-LP set of Harry Chapin's "Legends of the Lost and Found : New Greatest Stories Live" on the Elektra label. A fabulous performance, even though it doesn't include some of Chapin's more famous songs.

Great TASTING Manav?
I hope you are not nibbling at your vinyls.
That would really be a first for a vinyl lover :)

Haha,

Ajay, Malvai's probably drooling uncontrollably over his vinyls and I'm sure in the near future we'll see a thread 'The Malvai tongue cleaning method for vinyls' :D

regards

Haha,

Ajay, Malvai's probably drooling uncontrollably over his vinyls and I'm sure in the near future we'll see a thread 'The Malvai tongue cleaning method for vinyls' :D

regards

Perhaps Vinyl wil start coming in different flavours.Vanilla,Mocha,Figs & Honey,Dark Chocolate...:)

Haha,

regards

Please don't give suggestions:lol:

Speaking of the cleaning method, I had been following a slight variation, and it works very well. I now follow the exact method as espoused by the inventor (after a light tongue lashing from the formulator) and I must say it works even better.

Coming back to the topic at hand, vinyl has certainly widened my listening to well beyond what it would have been only with CD. When I see a nice looking (or even not so nice) records, I can't resist the urge to grab it. For instance, I barely listened to western classical before, now I have a sizable collection that I listen to when the mood is right. Also, I dared venture into buying 50s and 60s records as well early 70s records and have discovered a great treasure trove of good and (sometimes) not so good music. Genre wise, I have become much more adventurous, less bigoted and tolerant too:). I will need to plough through my collection to say which are the great tasting ones:) That vinyl happened to me is one of the good things in my life.

Joshua

Don't know if this are rare ? but comments/info on following titles will be very much appreciated.
- Frank Sinatra sings Cole porter
- Beatles -- Rubber Soul
- Kraftwerk -- Trans Europe Express
- Be yourself Tonight -- Eurythmics
- Grace Jones -- Isand Life
- Transvision Vamp -- Pop Art
- David Cassidy -- The Higher they climb
- Elgar pomp & circumstances -- Sir Arthur Bliss (London Philharmonic Orchestra)

- Rimsky korsakov-Scheherazade -- Zubin Mehta (Los Angles Philharmonic Orchestra)
Thanks

I have never seen the ones in bold. so, if you like the music on 'em. Hold on tight!

Ok, just by chance last night, I cam across a Classical LP that I haven't seen before... It was in a whole bunch of LP's brought over by Hemanthwaghe... ALL of the stuff was classical and i haven't really gotten into classical much...

So, just because this friend lugged 200 LPs to my place, I decided to buy 2. Of which there was one that I had never encountered before: Holst - The Planets op 32...

Conductor: Herbert Von Karajan.

An english pressing with a detailed write-up at the back.

It seemed interesting so I just went for it.

On cleaning it, I found the LP to be in an 'unplayed" , M condition.

And I was in for a treat!

What lovely music. On further reading, I found that this was composed by Holst in 1914. So, I guess that makes him a composer from the modern period!

As per wikipedia:
The Planets, Op. 32, is a seven-movement orchestral suite by the English composer Gustav Holst, written between 1914 and 1916. Each movement of the suite is named after a planet of the Solar System and its corresponding astrological character as defined by Holst. With the exception of Earth, which is not observed in astrological practice, all the planets are represented.
From its premiere to the present day, the suite has been enduringly popular, influential, widely performed and the subject of numerous recordings. However, it had a protracted birth. There were four performances between September 1918 and October 1920, but they were all either private (the very first performance, in London) or incomplete (two others in London and one in Birmingham). The premiere was at the Queen's Hall on 29 September 1918, conducted by Holst's friend Adrian Boult to an invited audience of about 250 people. The first complete public performance was given in London on 15 November 1920, with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Albert Coates.

While couldn't find a video on You Tube with Karajan as conductor, i am putting one of the track with a different conductor, so you guys can get a feel of it!

YouTube - Gustav Holst - The Planets - Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity

Manav, I had this vinyl (Holst the planets) though I liked the compositions condition of record was not good so discarded. Transvision vamp, Grace jones have only few tracks I like so won't keep them for long. David Cassidy I am keeping for my dad. Rest are my favorite.

Sughosh, Beatles album is pressed in US (Capitol). Though has only few tracks which I like, since album is a classic I am keeping it.
Regards

Last edited:
Any info on Ananda Shankar vinyls ? I like his music. Are they rare ?
Thanks.

Yes. They are not so easily available. When i was into lps i tried getting one or two. Either they were highly priced on ebay or in not so good condition

Yes. They are not so easily available. When i was into lps i tried getting one or two. Either they were highly priced on ebay or in not so good condition

Try Jitendrabhai. I picked up one (I think:confused::confused:) from him.
Joshua

I have picked a few lps from Jeetendra but i do not remember seeing any Ananda Shankar with him.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back