Group order for Vinyl of best of AR Rehman

arj

Staff member
Opening a new Thread as a side thread to the Main thread on getting a New LP created based on demand

The album decided was best of AR Rehman

Songs are
New song list of Best of Rahman will be

4 songs from Saathiya - Saathiya, Ae Udi Udi, Chupke Se, Humdum Soniyo Re
2 from Meenaxi - Do Kadam, Yeh Rishta
2 from Thakshak - Rang De, Khamosh Raat

please place your order here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZ9TahTjeCxoiqsFHh7PkTLbF_NPC_o-mRgsLGprDUE/edit?usp=sharing

Expected price is Rs 800-850 per LP. we need to reach a min of 2.55 Lakhs ( ie 300) to make the order. most of the history is in the above Parent thread.
Many of us are "Investing" in 5 or more to make the number.

And if this is a success then this is a ray of Hope for Many future popular Vinyls, with good masters, which are so difficult to source

Last edited:
I would suggest for the time being lets close the other thread with last post showing link to this thread and requesting new members to submit their name here. So as not to create confusion for new members who are interested. and easy working of our project. Project name is "Rahman - back in black" :)

I am also ok if price is increased to 1000 rs. to meet the target. I will ask friends in my home town if they are interested.
Regards

@Arj, updated my requirement in the Google document.

@Prem not putting spanner in the works but since Srinivasan seemed to indicate that albums from other labels like Universal etc could also be included and since brand ARR got famous due to the songs from movies like Roja and Bombay which I enjoy listening immensely, felt that those deserve to be in the list.

Rest I leave to you guys who are taking the lead to take the call.

Last edited:
Hi Captrajesh

We have 8 good songs as of now. Taal, Bombay, Roja, Dil SE are all titles worthy of their own vinyls.

Right now Sony has physical rights for entire Saregama and Zee Music catalogue. Rajesh Menon works for Sony DADC which is an independent manufacturing entity. They will press CDs and vinyls for anyone. So technically they will have no problems pressing a Taal. The question is will Tips give the rights to use one or two songs of Taal? Answer is no. Have you ever heard songs of Taal in any compilation other than the ones released by TIPS?

Sony right now has paid a bomb to Saregama for the physical rights for their entire catalogue. If I am not mistaken the contract ends in December of this year. In case it's not renewed, Sony will not be able to offer us Saathiya and Thakshak post December on the current terms

Let's get the first one out. Post that we can look at a second lp of Rahman hits wherein we can speak to Tips and get them to manufacture it either through Sony or directly from some vinyl factory in Germany. To get a vinyl pressed, you have to speak to the company which has the music rights, not the company which is manufacturing it. Sony DADC is just a manufacturing company. In this case being a sister concern of Sony Music which has Saregama rights, they are in a position to offer us both Sony Music and Saregama titles

If you are ok with just one song Ishq Bina from Taal, I might still have the original master of it somewhere:) Since I was doing some work for Taal, the master of Ishq Bina came to me first directly from Rahmans studio. But you would still need Tips permission to use it

Last edited:
Hi Captrajesh

We have 8 good songs as of now. Taal, Bombay, Roja, Dil SE are all titles worthy of their own vinyls.

Right now Sony has physical rights for entire Saregama and Zee Music catalogue. Rajesh Menon works for Sony DADC which is an independent manufacturing entity. They will press CDs and vinyls for anyone. So technically they will have no problems pressing a Taal. The question is will Tips give the rights to use one or two songs of Taal? Answer is no. Have you ever heard songs of Taal in any compilation other than the ones released by TIPS?

Sony right now has paid a bomb to Saregama for the physical rights for their entire catalogue. If I am not mistaken the contract ends in December of this year. In case it's not renewed, Sony will not be able to offer us Saathiya and Thakshak post December on the current terms

Let's get the first one out. Post that we can look at a second lp of Rahman hits wherein we can speak to Tips and get them to manufacture it either through Sony or directly from some vinyl factory in Germany. To get a vinyl pressed, you have to speak to the company which has the music rights, not the company which is manufacturing it. Sony DADC is just a manufacturing company. In this case being a sister concern of Sony Music which has Saregama rights, they are in a position to offer us both Sony Music and Saregama titles

If you are ok with just one song Ishq Bina from Taal, I might still have the original master of it somewhere:) Since I was doing some work for Taal, the master of Ishq Bina came to me first directly from Rahmans studio. But you would still need Tips permission to use it

That's quite a background!!!

To just add to my earlier post, there are three types of rights for every album.

1. Physical which means cd, cassette or vinyl

2. Publishing which includes broadcast and ground rights

3. Digital which includes streaming, ringtones and downloads

In case of Saregama only physical rights has been given to Sony. When I say given, it's not forever. It's got a limited time period. The other rights have been retained by Saregama.

Now when I say Tips will not give rights to Sony for one or two songs of Taal to be included in a compilation, it's not a no in that sense. If you are willing to pay big money, they will give the rights.:)

Folks we are at 120 now @ ~ 800-850 odd per LP for 300 lot

I for one am really hoping this model works as then we have a ray of hope for Vinyl for us and thats why have put in 5 and many other like minded folks have put in upto 10 copies

Last edited:
Couple of friends here are interested but not confirmed. So can not guarantee. But if they confirm I can add 4 to 5 nos to the tally. In couple of days I can update. Those who do not like vinyl media (and don't have machines to produce sound from it :D ) can also join in. This will be a nice souvenir to have or pass on to your loved one as gift. I promise if you all bring out any audio cd project I will join it too.
Regards.

Would it be possible to bring in any dealers/sellers? Souravin had said he would check in Kolkata.

Have booked 1 for me. Kudos to the folks who have started this initiative.

When is the cut off date for filling up this sheet? Am willing to pick up one more to support this cause in case we are not able to make it for lack of numbers.

Best,
apk

I would love to put down myself for five copies. Is there any issue if I am based in the US? Any options for overseas buyers or will this be India only?

m_007

We can ship to the US. No issues there. Shipping will be charged at actuals. Pl put in your order

Last date for ordering on the forum is November 20. After 20th we will be looking at dealers. MRP will then become 1500 because after 20th, any order will be processed by the dealer. Packing and shipping anywhere in India will be Rs 150 upto 2 vinyls. For 1 also it will be Rs 150

Prem since you have the back up experience from the industry you must take forward to check the mastering is done properly. Iam a layman choice for technical discussions. Similarly i think Hindi records sell more in Gujrat, Kolkatta, Delhi , Maharashtra States , down south Chennai, Bengaluru would be the option. We must try to rope in more members from individual contacts for adding to pre order quantity.
Regards
Srinivasan

Not able to add my name, will try later again....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I would love to put down myself for five copies. Is there any issue if I am based in the US? Any options for overseas buyers or will this be India only?

Many FMs do travel to the US. Maybe someone could hand carry and post locally.

Last date for ordering on the forum is November 20. After 20th we will be looking at dealers. MRP will then become 1500 because after 20th, any order will be processed by the dealer. Packing and shipping anywhere in India will be Rs 150 upto 2 vinyls. For 1 also it will be Rs 150
1500 Rs. is dealer price isn't it ? That is those who buy from dealer. HFV Members will be getting it 800 to 1000 rs.. Am I right ?
Regards

Hiten, only uptill Nov 20, will HFV members get the 800-840 price. After Nov 20, this thread will close because I will approach the dealers and try get the balance from them. They are likely to sell at 1499 from what I have spoken to them. Members after Nov 20 will not be able to place order here. They will have to buy from online retailers directly.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back