Gruby goes DIY, atlast! <WARNING! Long, meandering & boring ramble ahead!>

grubyhalo

So, after about 17 years of scrounging for second-hand audio magazines, drooling in showrooms, stealing extended demos, comparing, dreaming, planning, hoping, learning, unlearning, estimating, fantasizing, budgeting, fidgeting, frustrating, understanding, mis-understanding and theorizing, I think I am in a good position now to list down what I think I need for a reasonable-fidelity audio system. I am also thoroughly convinced that the biggest bang for my buck in India would be to go DIY.

I am hoping to use this thread as my public notepad to gather my thoughts, keep track of all the to-dos and more importantly to hear opinions and ideas from anyone who would indulge me with a few minutes of their time. Even if I do not end up implementing everyones thoughts and ideas, I would at the very least know what to look out for. I am also hoping that this thread would help others who may be looking for the same things as I am. Or throw up a lot of anecdotal knowledge through interesting OTs and asides that usually accompany threads. I am also planning to open individual threads for logging the build details for each component I decide to go with. The entire journey is probably going to be over a long period of time and will certainly be one component at a time. I am hoping that I have the patience to sustain the pursuit till its over.

Musical Preferences

My musical preferences are quite all over the musical spectrum and I expect my system to do justice to all possible types of music. Based on my limited experience, I would hazard to say that any system that does large-scale western classical well could pretty much nail all the other genres, without any significant problems. Of course, I have a lot more silly ideas where that one came from.

Sonic preferences

Having experienced a lot of live music of all flavours, one thing I find lacking in most systems I hear is dynamics which makes it to the top of my wish-list for my speaker/system. I should also be able to listen to music without losing details at very low levels. I can compromise on the last drop of resolution as long as I make up for it in sound-stage. Imaging would be nice but as long as the music makes me slap my thighs and bob my head with a stupid grin on my face, it shouldnt matter too much. I also prefer to have my symphonies sound real enough with decent separation of the instruments. I am not sure if I would dare wish for a speaker that can go down to 13Hz to sate my craving for the organ fugues but at the least I need my double-basses to sound real. I would be perfectly happy with a 30Hz response, in-room. It appears to me that Im looking for something like my Sennheiser HD650s, but big enough to take on my room. I am not sure if Im missing anything else.

Room and placement constraints

The room would be 12X14 foot (approx.) and would also double-up as the living room. It does not have too many pieces of furniture or upholstery. I can spare a foot and a half behind the speaker and a foot on the sides. The listening position would be about 4 feet from the rear wall, opposite to the speakers, on the shorter side of the room. WAF is not a big worry as my slightly better-half is music and audio-trained. I do plan to implement a bit of portable acoustic treatments to the room without any structural modifications.

Speaker preferences

No open-baffle or full-rangers. As much as I would love to have an OB in my house, I just do not have enough space to make OBs effective. I am yet to hear a full-ranger that can do hard-rock as good as I want it to sound. My initial idea was for a bookshelf-sub combo, however considering the added cost and efforts involved in building a BS and a sub, Im thinking a compact floor-stander is a much better option. My options are still open. BOM budget: 50000 INR

Pre-amp/buffer preferences

Tube-based, 3 inputs, 2 pre-outs, 1 tape out. BOM budget: 30000 INR

Amp preferences

Though the ultimate choice of the design would depend on the speaker I decide on, I am quite certain of a few things. As much as I love the sound of SETs, I am not sure they would handle hard-rock (or dub) with enough aplomb. Class A monsters like the Pass F4/F5 could be a very good option but Id rather not if I can get away without. I really do not want to spend money fitting an AC for my living room. I guess my options are still open. BOM budget: 30000 INR

Source preferences - Digital

Like a lot of people, music reproduction off of a vinyl disc sounded more real to me than all the digital options I have heard. But then, I have not heard a lot of digital systems, or analog systems for that matter. That said, I am pretty certain that with all the CDs, SACDs, DVD-As and concert DVDs I have been collecting over the years, the sensible option would be to get a working digital rig before thinking of a turntable. Unless ofcourse I get really, really lucky and get a good vintage turntable for cheap. I am also fairly certain that I could not live purely off of vinyl in the future. Taking all these into account, I expect the heart of my system to be a DAC and Im going to try and get the best that I can. To begin with, I would be hooking up my old Pioneer universal DVD player to the DAC and will be building a cheap media player using an inexpensive platform like the Raspberry Pi. Eventually, I would like to get a Denon universal player, like the 2930, and hack it to use it as an SACD transport, feeding the DAC. BOM budget - DAC: 40000 INR, media player: 10000 INR

Cable preferences

To start with Im planning on getting Mogami cables, clad and heat-shrunk for the interconnects, terminated with Neutrik Pro-fi plugs. Thinking of TDK/Mogami/Belden raw cables for the speakers. BOM budget: 3000 INR

Room treatment preferences

I am hoping not to need room treatments right off. Over time, I am hoping to figure out a way to implement simple bass-traps, corner-traps and diffusers that do not need to be nailed to the walls. BOM budget: 12000 INR

This is what I have in mind at this time, any comments, critiques, suggestions, advice are all most welcome.

If you are not dead set on tube amp you might want to check up on Goldmund Mimesis Clone on diyaudio. As reported by one user to be better than Aleph, F5,F5 balanced (he has them all) & good thing it is not Class A

Again if you are hung up on tubes :), pass b1 or the Goldmund Mimesis preamp board from Jim's audio are extremely good preamps.

For speakers you can try Troels Gravessen site & see if any design fits your style

For DAC look for a proven dac around the ESS chipset

:rolleyes:
17 Years or R&D! hmm... I may be lost by this time to make any decision in the first place. But I have to say "unlearning" is the most difficult part.

This is what I have in mind at this time, any comments, critiques, suggestions, advice are all most welcome.
After such an eloquent presentation of self-awareness , this seems a seal of modesty.
Seems to me a "Precision" DIY requirement with very low tolerances.:).

Hey Richie, congrats. I'm glad you took the first tentative step. So is it going to be the Salas 6V6 preamp. What is the power amp and which speakers are you thinking of?

I love long, meandering and boring rambles:)

Whew, so there's going to be atleast one person in the room for sure then, thanks!

If you are not dead set on tube amp you might want to check up on Goldmund Mimesis Clone on diyaudio. As reported by one user to be better than Aleph, F5,F5 balanced (he has them all) & good thing it is not Class A

Again if you are hung up on tubes :), pass b1 or the Goldmund Mimesis preamp board from Jim's audio are extremely good preamps.

For speakers you can try Troels Gravessen site & see if any design fits your style

I am not dead-set on a tube amp at all. At this point in the game, anything would be a fair bet. The only caveat may be the fact that I would prefer to decide on the speakers and then choose an amp that would play well with it. Thanks for the hint on the Mimesis clone, let me go take a look. Regarding Troel's site, I have seen some that are interesting, a few of which may not work for me, but I'll take another look. Thanks again.

:rolleyes:
17 Years or R&D! hmm... I may be lost by this time to make any decision in the first place. But I have to say "unlearning" is the most difficult part.

After such an eloquent presentation of self-awareness , this seems a seal of modesty.
Seems to me a "Precision" DIY requirement with very low tolerances.:).

Thankfully not all 17 were spent on R&D. Most of them were spent on the scrounging and dreaming bits during my high-school and college days. Yes, I agree with you on the unlearning part. Modesty? Nah. I do have a few designs in mind, but I would rather have the more experienced and knowledgeable suggest options that are not colored by my preferences. I was trying hard not to put out a 'precise' wish-list, maybe I should have tried harder. :D

Hey Richie, congrats. I'm glad you took the first tentative step. So is it going to be the Salas 6V6 preamp. What is the power amp and which speakers are you thinking of?

Hey Cap'n, I've decided to jump off the cliff after all! I did draw quite a bit of courage from the DIY pursuits of Rajiv and you, among others here. The 6V6 is one of the options I'm considering at this time but I am not too keen on finalising it yet before deciding on the speakers and the amps...

These seem to be the links in question, however the thread seems to have been blocked and the member banned.

Goldmund Mimesis 3 Clone, World's Best Amplifier!!!! - Page 13 - diyAudio

PCB order for Goldmun clone - Page 34 - diyAudio

For the DAC, the ESS chip is exactly what I am considering at the moment. :)

Musical Preferences

My musical preferences are quite all over the musical spectrum and I expect my system to do justice to all possible types of music. Based on my limited experience, I would hazard to say that any system that does large-scale western classical well could pretty much nail all the other genres, without any significant problems. Of course, I have a lot more silly ideas where that one came from.
Yeah, thats as close to truth as you are going to get. another opinion is that no single system can do great for all the genres.
Sonic preferences

Having experienced a lot of live music of all flavours, one thing I find lacking in most systems I hear is dynamics which makes it to the top of my wish-list for my speaker/system. I should also be able to listen to music without losing details at very low levels. I can compromise on the last drop of resolution as long as I make up for it in sound-stage. Imaging would be nice but as long as the music makes me slap my thighs and bob my head with a stupid grin on my face, it shouldnt matter too much. I also prefer to have my symphonies sound real enough with decent separation of the instruments. I am not sure if I would dare wish for a speaker that can go down to 13Hz to sate my craving for the organ fugues but at the least I need my double-basses to sound real. I would be perfectly happy with a 30Hz response, in-room. It appears to me that Im looking for something like my Sennheiser HD650s, but big enough to take on my room. I am not sure if Im missing anything else.
30hz in room is not that difficult to get in a small room. getting headphone like sound in a room will require massive room treatments. Dont aim for the headphone sound. you probably will be disappointed:).
Room and placement constraints

The room would be 12X14 foot (approx.) and would also double-up as the living room. It does not have too many pieces of furniture or upholstery. I can spare a foot and a half behind the speaker and a foot on the sides. The listening position would be about 4 feet from the rear wall, opposite to the speakers, on the shorter side of the room. WAF is not a big worry as my slightly better-half is music and audio-trained. I do plan to implement a bit of portable acoustic treatments to the room without any structural modifications.
You've already hit the jackpot. No WAF to worry about:).
Speaker preferences

No open-baffle or full-rangers. As much as I would love to have an OB in my house, I just do not have enough space to make OBs effective. I am yet to hear a full-ranger that can do hard-rock as good as I want it to sound. My initial idea was for a bookshelf-sub combo, however considering the added cost and efforts involved in building a BS and a sub, Im thinking a compact floor-stander is a much better option. My options are still open. BOM budget: 50000 INR
Dont disregard the full rangers. with a sub or FAST, they do really well. Even for hard rock.
50k in india means about 600$ in US. Unless of course someone is getting it for you by flight. I made ER18MTMs in that budget and I am quite happy with these. They do about 30hz, so in room they will go lower.
There is a FS MLTL version of continuums that maynardg built on PE forums, check it out.
Here's a list of a bunch of speakers, see if you like anything.
Pre-amp/buffer preferences

Tube-based, 3 inputs, 2 pre-outs, 1 tape out. BOM budget: 30000 INR
You know more, you were advising me on tube pres on another thread recently.:)
Amp preferences

Though the ultimate choice of the design would depend on the speaker I decide on, I am quite certain of a few things. As much as I love the sound of SETs, I am not sure they would handle hard-rock (or dub) with enough aplomb. Class A monsters like the Pass F4/F5 could be a very good option but Id rather not if I can get away without. I really do not want to spend money fitting an AC for my living room. I guess my options are still open. BOM budget: 30000 INR
myref with tube pre does really well it seems. or some other chipamp, for more power, there's a dual 3886 chip also, cant seem to remember the number. Class D is also there.
Source preferences - Digital

Like a lot of people, music reproduction off of a vinyl disc sounded more real to me than all the digital options I have heard. But then, I have not heard a lot of digital systems, or analog systems for that matter. That said, I am pretty certain that with all the CDs, SACDs, DVD-As and concert DVDs I have been collecting over the years, the sensible option would be to get a working digital rig before thinking of a turntable. Unless ofcourse I get really, really lucky and get a good vintage turntable for cheap. I am also fairly certain that I could not live purely off of vinyl in the future. Taking all these into account, I expect the heart of my system to be a DAC and Im going to try and get the best that I can. To begin with, I would be hooking up my old Pioneer universal DVD player to the DAC and will be building a cheap media player using an inexpensive platform like the Raspberry Pi. Eventually, I would like to get a Denon universal player, like the 2930, and hack it to use it as an SACD transport, feeding the DAC. BOM budget - DAC: 40000 INR, media player: 10000 INR
There's a gb on for subbu dac right now. seems like a good dac. spdif only. for usb, odac is a good choice.
Cable preferences

To start with Im planning on getting Mogami cables, clad and heat-shrunk for the interconnects, terminated with Neutrik Pro-fi plugs. Thinking of TDK/Mogami/Belden raw cables for the speakers. BOM budget: 3000 INR
MX:lol:.
you can get some cheap cables from apexjr. good silver plated stuff. anyway you will need rcas, binding posts etc etc for all these builds and he's got it all.

For mimesis you can contact

---bigpandahk - he ran the gb to see whether he has boards available
---alexmm - who did laid out the boards to see whether he has silkscreen or Gerber
----get the board from Nagysaudio.,com who got banned :)

The bigpandahk thing varies from the nagys stuff in that it has so called improvements over the original design & TOP3 mosfets,while Nagys boards are Puritan.

You will also find a vendor on diyaudio selling Goldmund Telos boards.

For ESS the choices are Buffalo dac from twisted pear audio or a GB happening in DIYaudio + anotherGB for gerhart o/p buffer

For speakers I built the Troels Nomex 2.5 ..price + performance ,ease & the fact that there is a well known design (Elsinore) with the same drivers so reusability

If you are going digital it make sense to invest in a real old netbook.Slap stripped down Linux,install alsa,mpd ,output to dac via USB. If you have a home wifi & smartphone then that acts as remote :)

Last edited:
Links please. :eek:hyeah:

Captain...to increase usage of limited brain real estate I have long moved on to storing pointers to information (read Google search words) rather than the information itself :).

Jokes apart I really like the idea of a tube pre driving a SS amp.

And one link that all might enjoy

24-bit (sorry grubyhalo not related to you post)

Captain...to increase usage of limited brain real estate I have long moved on to storing pointers to information (read Google search words) rather than the information itself :).

Jokes apart I really like the idea of a tube pre driving a SS amp.

And one link that all might enjoy

24-bit (sorry grubyhalo not related to you post)

Another GB for tube pre;)

Regards,
Sachin

Very naughty Sachin :)....leave me some some money to buy music maan :)
The way things are going I'll only be able to hear my daughters 'twinkle twinkle lil star' on my DIY system :)

Last edited:
Very naughty Sachin :)....leave me some some money to buy music maan :)
The way things are going I'll only be able to hear my daughters 'twinkle twinkle lil star' on my DIY system :)

This is true.I have postponed my F5 build for 2-3 months for the same reason.BTW could you direct me to an Indian source for Tube Output transformer.I am planning to build Decaware design or low cost AK Tube amp
The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Sorry OP for too many OTs
Regards,
Sachin

Thank you all for your replies, appreciate your time. Apologies for not replying earlier. I have been thinking about the responses and considering the various options that have been kindly provided. I thought I'll reinterate this again as I feel my earlier posts were not quite clear in this regard. I am not 100% set on any specific design for any of the components I am planning on. The closest I have come to is for the DAC, and that is not set on stone either. I would not want anyone to think that I have already made up my mind and wasting everyone's time here. :)

Yeah, thats as close to truth as you are going to get. another opinion is that no single system can do great for all the genres.

30hz in room is not that difficult to get in a small room. getting headphone like sound in a room will require massive room treatments. Dont aim for the headphone sound. you probably will be disappointed:).

I understand that I may be overreaching if I try to emulate the HD650s and I am going to use the sound just as a reference. And, be prepared for compromises.

You've already hit the jackpot. No WAF to worry about:).

I think I did win that lottery. However, I am resisting all temptation to push my luck too far. For now.

Dont disregard the full rangers. with a sub or FAST, they do really well. Even for hard rock.
50k in india means about 600$ in US. Unless of course someone is getting it for you by flight. I made ER18MTMs in that budget and I am quite happy with these. They do about 30hz, so in room they will go lower.
There is a FS MLTL version of continuums that maynardg built on PE forums, check it out.
Here's a list of a bunch of speakers, see if you like anything.

The only strike I have against FAST or FR-Sub combo is the fact that I have to buy another amp for the low-end. I was thinking I'd keep my first build as simple as possible. Thanks for the link on the Continuums, looks quite promising. I will read up on it soon.
You know more, you were advising me on tube pres on another thread recently.:)

myref with tube pre does really well it seems. or some other chipamp, for more power, there's a dual 3886 chip also, cant seem to remember the number. Class D is also there.

I do have a few options in mind however, I'd like to make sure I don't miss any available options. :) Did you mean the LM4780 chip? One of the amps I have in mind is the TPA Sympatico, which uses this chip. Another option for me is the Class D audio SDS-254.

There's a gb on for subbu dac right now. seems like a good dac. spdif only. for usb, odac is a good choice.

Subbu Dac is a good option, thanks. Looks like it uses the ESS 9023 chip instead of the 9018, which I believe is the top Saber chip available currently. If I understood all that was being spoken in the forums, USB through SPDIF may not work with a DSD stream, but I could be wrong. Let me read more about it to see if it can do everything I want.

MX:lol:.
you can get some cheap cables from apexjr. good silver plated stuff. anyway you will need rcas, binding posts etc etc for all these builds and he's got it all.

Oh, yeah Apex Jr is a stellar resource. I can foresee that I would be getting atleast some of my supplies from them, especially their Teflon coated hook-up wires and hardware. Thanks for reminding me!

For mimesis you can contact

---bigpandahk - he ran the gb to see whether he has boards available
---alexmm - who did laid out the boards to see whether he has silkscreen or Gerber
----get the board from Nagysaudio.,com who got banned :)

The bigpandahk thing varies from the nagys stuff in that it has so called improvements over the original design & TOP3 mosfets,while Nagys boards are Puritan.

You will also find a vendor on diyaudio selling Goldmund Telos boards.

The Mimesis seems like a capable design. On a glance, it appears to use a lot of components. Any idea how helpful 'bigpandahk' is when it comes to support? Also, the other guy does not seem to be someone I'd like to buy a drink for. His attitude is quite caustic. :D Is this the Telos thread you were referring to for the Telos?

For ESS the choices are Buffalo dac from twisted pear audio or a GB happening in DIYaudio + anotherGB for gerhart o/p buffer

The Buffalo is definitely a top contender for the DAC stakes. :)

For speakers I built the Troels Nomex 2.5 ..price + performance ,ease & the fact that there is a well known design (Elsinore) with the same drivers so reusability

The Nomex 164 looks interesting, how much did the parts cost you? I have read a bit on the Elsinores some place, looked quite capable of shaking a room.

If you are going digital it make sense to invest in a real old netbook.Slap stripped down Linux,install alsa,mpd ,output to dac via USB. If you have a home wifi & smartphone then that acts as remote :)

Is there any advantage if I go for an old netbook instead of something like the Raspberry Pi? MPD is probably what I would be using for the media player, but seems a tad too complicated to setup and fine-tune. We shall see.

...24-bit (sorry grubyhalo not related to you post)

...Sorry OP for too many OTs
Regards,
Sachin

Please guys, OTs are OK here. :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back