Guidance on purchasing speakers and bringing to India

SSlovesmusic

Hi
I'm planning to purchase a set of speakers (not available in India) from Bangkok and carry with me to India (Mumbai). Request knowledgeable junta to advise if this is a good idea. The speakers will cost around INR 70k (in Bangkok)... how much can i realistically expect to pay in customs etc. Any inputs/ tips will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm planning to purchase a set of speakers (not available in India) from Bangkok and carry with me to India (Mumbai). Request knowledgeable junta to advise if this is a good idea. The speakers will cost around INR 70k (in Bangkok)... how much can i realistically expect to pay in customs etc. Any inputs/ tips will be most appreciated.Thanks.

You may (or) may not be asked to pay duty, depending on how the customs officer mood / values the item.. Is it a FS / BS ?..

Worst case, they would ask you to produce the bill and value the item + basic customs duty (% might vary) may/may not be applied depending on how the customs officer classify the speaker (HS code) + GST of 18% will be applied..

I had got Klipsch BS / Center from US, thru the friends returning to India and didn't pay any duties.. Just lucky :).. Try your luck..

I was able to get my satellites without paying any duty but had to shell out for the floorstanders.
If the speakers are noticeably big, chances are customs will ask you to pay.
Then it depends on the officer/ your bol-bachan etc. ;)

Which brand and model of speakers are you planning on bringing?

Hope the dimensions and weight are factored in, and the excess baggage goat to airline is factored in.
Indian national is allowed to import goods worth 50K if returning after a stay of at least 3 days.
Whether the duty (if inspected at all) will be on total 70 K or difference 20 K, I am not aware.
Also will depend on what other valuables are you importing.

Thanks for the replies.

As I understand it's bit of a punt then... Worst case scenario what outgo am I looking at?

Regd this point of "Indian national is allowed to import goods worth 50K if returning after a stay of at least 3 days."... is this per group or person?
We are 2 adults... and no other valuables envisaged except maybe duty free liquor :)

Also does anonymous packaging help?

I'm looking at Bookshelves, either Klipsch Sixes / Audiodoengine HD6.
Shipping weight will be ~15+ kg.
Box dimensions - 45 cm x 51 cm x 40 cm approx

~hazaar thanks

Thanks for the replies.

As I understand it's bit of a punt then... Worst case scenario what outgo am I looking at?

Regd this point of "Indian national is allowed to import goods worth 50K if returning after a stay of at least 3 days."... is this per group or person?
We are 2 adults... and no other valuables envisaged except maybe duty free liquor :)

Also does anonymous packaging help?

I'm looking at Bookshelves, either Klipsch Sixes / Audiodoengine HD6.
Shipping weight will be ~15+ kg.
Box dimensions - 45 cm x 51 cm x 40 cm approx

~hazaar thanks
The duty free allowance is 50k per person. If two persons are together, then you got 100k limit. The custom duty is applied to the amount over and above the free allowance. So in your case it would be on 20k.

Hi,
The duty will be applied only on the amount above 50000.
However if you are 4 people travelling it does not mean you can bring a product worth 50000 x 4 = 2L.
Only 1 person will be in possession of the product.
This is to the best of my knowledge.

True. 50k per person. Product cost cannot be spread. Most importantly, it's the transparency of the Customs Act which is baffling. Even if we were to bring a product, which was eligible, how many of us would have the proof and argue with the customs officer at that time. All they have to say is pay up this much or leave the product behind.

Imagine if you had to leave behind your speakers in a rat infested customs godown and imagine if they had some crazy crap rule about 2 bottles per group.....:oops:

Hi,
The duty will be applied only on the amount above 50000.
However if you are 4 people travelling it does not mean you can bring a product worth 50000 x 4 = 2L.
Only 1 person will be in possession of the product.
This is to the best of my knowledge.
To be more clear allowance is per person per invoice.

Dont worry too much about most probably the speaker will be bookshelf I think. Double pack it to hide the brand name and carry with you nothing to worry 95% you will not get any customs charges.In rare condition they might ask for bill so carry it with you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back