H.265 video playback

sujithblaze

Hi,
I have a denon x1000 av receiver and have some h.265 videos(movies) on my external hdd (1tb), my blu ray player is unable to play these h.265 videos it says unsupported video format. Now what i want to know is how can i play these files( i know i can use a pc and play on vlc or any such players, but thats not an option for me), will i be able to use a android tv box to play h.265 videos from my hdd, what i am thinking is hooking up the tv box to my receiver using hdmi and plugging in the 1tb hdd to the tv box(not sure if it will work or not) so guys your inputs will be much appreciated. I am looking for a cheap option.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sujith

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a denon x1000 av receiver and have some h.265 videos(movies) on my external hdd (1tb), my blu ray player is unable to play these h.265 videos it says unsupported video format. Now what i want to know is how can i play these files( i know i can use a pc and play on vlc or any such players, but thats not an option for me), will i be able to use a android tv box to play h.265 videos from my hdd, what i am thinking is hooking up the tv box to my receiver using hdmi and plugging in the 1tb hdd to the tv box(not sure if it will work or not) so guys your inputs will be much appreciated. I am looking for a cheap option.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sujith
Any Android tv box with h.265 support will do. Eg, himedia q5 or q10. AliExpress will be cheaper than Amazon but will be difficult to get service if purchased from AliExpress

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

In the spec sheet it is mentioned to be having h265 support and hdd USB support. But going by the price, I have my doubts. Browse through the various threads? about media players on this forum for cheaper but effective options

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

how much did you pay for it?, i guess its quite expensive, i am looking for something below 5k, my only requirement is to play h.265 videos with full 5.1 , dtshd ma etc

Last edited:
how much did you pay for it?, i guess its quite expensive, i am looking for something below 5k, my only requirement is to play h.265 videos with full 5.1 , dtshd ma etc

All these Chinese players out there even though specs on paper will say H.265 playback support, they are just OK, some would work, some wont. It's a gamble, on these low-cost players. Not recommended for high-end playback

Your BEST bet around 5K is Xiaomi Mi Box, else you have to pay more in order to get proper quality H.265 playback. Again least expense is 10-12K for Himedia Q5 Pro (Himedia Q5 Pro - futeko.com - High Performance Media Box. Android Box, Kodi Box, Mini-HTPC. UK Based.)

All these Chinese players out there even though specs on paper will say H.265 playback support, they are just OK, some would work, some wont. It's a gamble, on these low-cost players. Not recommended for high-end playback

Your BEST bet around 5K is Xiaomi Mi Box, else you have to pay more in order to get proper quality H.265 playback. Again least expense is 10-12K for Himedia Q5 Pro (Himedia Q5 Pro - futeko.com - High Performance Media Box. Android Box, Kodi Box, Mini-HTPC. UK Based.)

Thanks for the reply, i saw himedia q5 pro for $132 from ali express so that would be around 9000 rupees, also saw two another boxes yoka tv ($67) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yok...lgo_pvid=30af6c7f-ce9e-4796-8463-cb86d480f93c), minix neo u1 ($110) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...lgo_pvid=30af6c7f-ce9e-4796-8463-cb86d480f93c) and the xiaomi box ($70) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glo...lgo_pvid=30af6c7f-ce9e-4796-8463-cb86d480f93c). Also what about himedia h8 pro (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The...lgo_pvid=f64601b4-c31a-46d8-aae7-aa16de12a3c6)
So is it best to go for xiaomi box, or the yoka tv box, the yoka tv box has good reviews on youtube and comes with amlogic s912 processor

Last edited:
It plays the h.265 files very smoothly.. no lags . ON KODI
But dont expect very smooth app interface on the android interface., sometimes the apps like saavn, facebook work and sometimes they need to be opened twice or thrice to work properly. While it comes to using KODI as the HT app it serves the purpose very well. I play the files thru LAN , where d movie files are stored on my desktop. So in that way network streaming is also very good and plays these files smoothly.

It plays the h.265 files very smoothly.. no lags . ON KODI
But dont expect very smooth app interface on the android interface., sometimes the apps like saavn, facebook work and sometimes they need to be opened twice or thrice to work properly. While it comes to using KODI as the HT app it serves the purpose very well. I play the files thru LAN , where d movie files are stored on my desktop. So in that way network streaming is also very good and plays these files smoothly.

Thanks for the reply, i am not interested in any other features all i need is a player which will play h.265 videos, with full 5.1 audio or dts hd ma etc, so are you playing your videos is it in kodi or are you using mx player to play videos(is it possible? or vlc mayb?) i believe you are using an external hdd coz my intention is to use my 1tb extrenal hdd with this box, also have you connected it to your receiver? if not could you please connect and check if there are any issues?, your help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Never heard Yoka, Himedia H8 is good and trusted, if you want to go for proper Android TV OS Mii Box is to go for. If there is not much of a price difference between, H8 and Q5 then go for Q5.

Never heard Yoka, Himedia H8 is good and trusted, if you want to go for proper Android TV OS Mii Box is to go for. If there is not much of a price difference between, H8 and Q5 then go for Q5.

Thanks for the reply, i am not after android tv, i am concerned about playing hevc files off my external 1 tb hdd through my avr

Agree with sam..

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, i am not after android tv, i am concerned about playing hevc files off my external 1 tb hdd through my avr

I am using Q5 purchased from Futeko.com, recommended by Sam..its amazing product. visit futeko.com - High Performance Media Box. Android Box, Kodi Box, Mini-HTPC. UK Based.. They have more products now. If you have friends coming over from UK, you can ask them to carry for you. Its not very big in size. Or else Futeko is now shipping all over world.

Android TV Mii Box will do that as well, and Himidia Q5/Q10 will also perform in the same league, its up to you what you prefer. I would say Q5/Q10 is a safer bet, and would strongly recommend it, but if you are like tooooo tight on the budget and absolutely cannot extend it, then if you have to take risk, take it on Mii Box.

Thnaks guys for the feedback,so everyone is backing the himedia boxes, so i guess i will take a chance and get the himedia h8 plus and hope it works, not too keen on the mi box looks too simple for me, the h8 plus is available for $93 from aliexpress, one more thing are we able to order off aliexpress using icici debit card

The only thing I'd personally recommend is the Shield. Everything else doesn't do HDR properly. Also streaming services won't send 4k streams to most of these chinese devices as they have not been tested.

The only ones that can reliably do 4k+HDR right now are Intel Kaby Lake, NVIDIA 10xx series GPUs and the Shield.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back