Happy Fortieth to our beloved CD

sachinchavan 15865

Some might contest it’s dying, most would agree it’s ailing, and a few of us hope it could revive. Especially as forty is hardly an age to die. But also because most of us have grown up with it, and many of us still remain loyal to it.

The compact disc was introduced on this day in UK and Europe, forty years ago in 1983. Here’s a short video from back then on its reception including the watchful distancing by EMI - one of the largest publishers of music then.

Could we post pics of our CD collection to celebrate this anniversary? Let me initiate with a part of mine.

5DFBDB05-7445-4581-AF8F-9F414F789555.jpeg

Last edited:
Some might contest it’s dying, most would agree it’s ailing, and a few of us hope it could revive. Especially as forty is hardly an age to die. But also because most of us have grown up with it, and many of us still remain loyal to it.

The compact disc was introduced on this day in UK and Europe, forty years ago in 1983. Here’s a short video from back then on its reception including the watchful distancing by EMI - one of the largest publishers of music then.

Can we post pics of our CD collection to celebrate this anniversary? Let me initiate with a part of mine.

View attachment 74960
Was trying to attach a file but 1.5 mb was showing too large. Will compress it n attach it later.

Thanks for the thread Sachin, a good nostalgic reminder.

Last edited:

Could we post pics of our CD collection to celebrate this anniversary? Let me initiate with a part of mine.

View attachment 74960
Love your writing skills and presentation 😍🙏

Fingers crossed! Here's a part of my collection

Attachments

• CD.jpg
    CD.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 42
Love your writing skills and presentation 😍🙏
Thanks Manohar. Compensates partly for my lack of technical knowhow and limited gadget exposure.
Was trying to attach a file but 1.5 mb was showing too large. Will compress it n attach it later.

Thanks for the thread Sachin, a good nostalgic reminder.
Thanks Nitin. When I upload an image (in iPhone - Safari) I am given an option to downsize. Do check if there’s something similar for you.

Fingers crossed! Here's a part of my collection
Lovely! Especially the alternate vertical and horizontal arrangement is visually appealing. I went for the linear design for my CD rack as I’d read that there’s a less chance of CD warping if placed vertically (which I haven’t seen a proof of - never came across a warped compact disc - but went with nevertheless). 😊

Lovely! Especially the alternate vertical and horizontal arrangement is visually appealing. I went for the linear design for my CD rack as I’d read that there’s a less chance of CD warping if placed vertically (which I haven’t seen a proof of - never came across a warped compact disc - but went with nevertheless). 😊
Yeah, I do remember seeing something on the internet about storing CD's horizontally being bad for them and was quite hesitant at first. Horizontal storage was necessitated by the "long tall sally" packaging of some box sets. I didn't notice any negative effects on those CD's over a few years of horizontal storage and then decided to make the maximum usage of space in the rack while still allowing for reasonably easy retrieval.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back