Hathway goes HD in Bangalore??

navinmra

This morning the Hathway collections guy spilled the news that Hathway will start offering HD content from June at the current price point of SD. He offered to bring a set top box for Demo. They're also coming up with an exchange scheme to replace the old SD box. I checked their website but there's nothing to this effect...
I'll keep everyone posted if the demo happens!
Cheers
Navin

I live i Mumbai and use a SCOD 18 set top box..
from the mast month onwards i have seen two channels namet HD test1 and HD test 2..
the set top box i have doesnt support HD
and i get a msg saying "The content on this channel is blocked.."

i did ask my cable operator...the local guy about this and he said he had no idea...
Fingers crossed..

@navinmra
Let me know how the demo goes. I am interested in HD settop box. Keep us updated on price of set top box too.

by the way, which part of Bangalore do you stay?

Gopichand Pai

I heard this from my cable guy 4-5 months back. He was speculating the set top box price at INR 6000/- and I laughed on it. So far they are on track on delivering in June, which is good news.

Will cable support N number of HD channels in future, or do we need to upgrade to OFC?

I called one of the HathWay numbers in Bangalore and the person to whom I spoke to told me that HD will be coming by end of June. They don't have HD boxes now. This box will cost approx. Rs3000 and he said it has built in recording facility too. He didn't know much details. Fingers are crossed :)

Gopichand Pai

Sure folks... As soon as he demoes it I will get back to everyone on this forum. I'm not too sure if I want to rewire back to Hathway given that I just moved to airtel for the HD channels. But the second connection in the house is still Hathway so I'll probably just hook the new HD set top box to this second connection.
Lets see how the demo goes. Looking forward to the weekend...
Navin

I heard this from my cable guy 4-5 months back. He was speculating the set top box price at INR 6000/- and I laughed on it. So far they are on track on delivering in June, which is good news.

Will cable support N number of HD channels in future, or do we need to upgrade to OFC?
hehe, I don't think you would need an OFC or for that matter it can not be a feasible solution even if you need it...

hehe, I don't think you would need an OFC or for that matter it can not be a feasible solution even if you need it...

750 MHz will be exhausted easily when number of HD channels will go up or at least they have to start shedding up analog transmission which occupies huge space of current available bandwidth of coaxial cable.

If they continue with those analog, digital and "digitals with HD" channels then even MPEG-4 will not come to rescue at some day or even lowering bit rates of HD channels will not help. They have to let go some part of analog channels.

I am from Trivandrum, Kerala and Asianet is the biggest cable TV operator here. I believe Hathway is a major share holder of Asianet. Today's regional newspaper has an ad of Asianet starting to offer HD content through it's set top box.

The ad said the new set top box is called Asianet-HD DVR (something like that) and as the name says it will have both HD and DVR capabilities. The capacity was given as 320 GB and the price Rs. 9999 which includes a free 1 year subscription of 150 channels.

750 MHz will be exhausted easily when number of HD channels will go up or at least they have to start shedding up analog transmission which occupies huge space of current available bandwidth of coaxial cable.

If they continue with those analog, digital and "digitals with HD" channels then even MPEG-4 will not come to rescue at some day or even lowering bit rates of HD channels will not help. They have to let go some part of analog channels.

They are going to deploy those Ericsson "Bandwidth optimized compression techniques" like what Tatasky does to make picture look cleaner but heavily compressed with more loss of quality and people are still happy with it.. Hence they can do extra compression on those HD channels to match the available bandwidth on the regular coaxial cable and people might still be happy with the PQ like they are with Tatasky :yahoo:

Any updates on Hathway HD services.... June is about to start... eagerly waiting for this service and keeping my fingers crossed from almost a year..
??

I called the customer care today again and I was told that it would be first or second week of next month. STB costs around 3000 and it will have recording feature too. He didn't know much about channel details.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back