have you built enclosures using only glue?? (without screws and other fasteners)

Naveenbnc

hi all,

In some forums, I read that glue is sufficient for small or medium sized speaker enclosures, and screws are not necessary.
Has anyone built enclosures using only glue? If so, how big did you build?

hi all,

In some forums, I read that glue is sufficient for small or medium sized speaker enclosures, and screws are not necessary.
Has anyone built enclosures using only glue? If so, how big did you build?
afaik atleast supporting nails should be there.
Only glue will not hold the box for long time.IMO

Glue joined wood is stronger than the wood itself provided it is cured under proper pressure. The exception may be hard tropical woods which are inherently very, very strong.

MDF is another story.

Combination of both is better than using one. Half threaded screw with 3/4 of it being threaded with strong glue like SR or even can use araldite, will make sure both the panels join as one. Along with this make sure you use F clamps till it dries..it also makes no sense to remove screws after all the process creating holes. .

My few thoughts. .

Glue joined wood is stronger than the wood itself provided it is cured under proper pressure. The exception may be hard tropical woods which are inherently very, very strong.

MDF is another story.
Actually i asked this question because I read in a couple of forums that glue joint is stronger than the wood. And if the speaker falls down, the wood will crack, but the glue joint will be strong.

If that is true, we can avoid filling the screw holes later, while painting etc.

Secondly i saw some youtube videos, where they didn't use screws.

So i wanted to clarify here.
But any special reason you said "mdf is a different story" ?

this is my wild guess....
May be for small and light weight enclosures glue is enough.

And for bigger and heavy ones screws may be needed.

But if we join using screws, we feel lot more confident while building.

"
May be for small and light weight enclosures glue is enough.

And for bigger and heavy ones screws may be needed. " - Logical . There is no rule ;) Should not rattle, should not leak air , should not break .. thats it.

But any special reason you said "mdf is a different story" ?

Even HDF (high density fiber) boards are much weaker than wood. So the glue joint between MDF/HDF may be strong but if one were to accidentally knock over a speaker (like I have done twice!) the MDF/HDF cracks along the joint. But if the cabinet was wood, it will just make a ding/dent and structurally won't be compromised (assuming the fall is not severe).

Not knowing anything about building speakers, what I know is that the enclosure has to be as rigid as possible, with the least amount of driver resonance. That rigidity is what makes the driver's sound like they should.

Most box vendors make only a glue joint speakers, I have made a couple of Speakers from vendors and usually found them to be good structurally. No issues reported till date.

Not knowing anything about building speakers, what I know is that the enclosure has to be as rigid as possible, with the least amount of driver resonance. That rigidity is what makes the driver's sound like they should.

Not if it is a BBC monitor. They don't believe in rigidity but rather in the walls of the cabinet sympathetically vibrating.

A box within a box is a great idea if you can manage the weight. I find an inner frame seals the edge joints and adds support. If you provide cross braces it will take care of the hot spots inside. This will also allow you to construct the cabinet with a mix of 18 and 12mm.

Brute force 18mm always works if you can live with the weight.

Attachments

• 515T - Frame with Outer Sides.jpg
    515T - Frame with Outer Sides.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 515T - Inner Frame.jpg
    515T - Inner Frame.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 22
I've always built the outer shell around an inner frame. Keeps the cabinet rigid and minimizes problems.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
You are building an inner frame like a skeleton. You use similar pieces of cut plywood like the ones we use as inner braces in the enclosure ??

A box within a box is a great idea if you can manage the weight. I find an inner frame seals the edge joints and adds support. If you provide cross braces it will take care of the hot spots inside. This will also allow you to construct the cabinet with a mix of 18 and 12mm.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I got the point.

That's a lot of work indeed !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong...
You are building an inner frame like a skeleton. You use similar pieces of cut plywood like the ones we use as inner braces in the enclosure ??

The inner frame has to be timber, not plywood. Build it strong and you have a good foundation. Sized at 1" x 1" works well for a 200lt (7 Cu.ft) box in my experience. Mine is a sealed box so there is a lot of pressure inside.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back