HBO Defined and HBO Hits - Two new channels launched

just4kix

HBO has launched two new channels as mentioned above. These are ad free channels. Preview is available on DishTV and Airtel Digital.

I hope that these are launched across all DTH platforms in India, specially TataSky, which is very laggard in introducing new channels but does not hesitate to increase monthly subscription fees every now and then.

Sources:
HBO Asia and Eros launch two ad-free pay channels in India - Livemint
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...or-dish-tv-airtel-digital-113022600099_1.html

Hope tatasky moves to Gsat quickly to accommodate new channels. For now they are full to brim and have no space to add new HD channels.

HBO has launched two new channels as mentioned above. These are ad free channels.

I think it will be commercial ad free but their channel promotion ads will be huge to compensate the ad timings more so without the usual nuisance. This ad free itself is a mockery by these channels when they charge you a subscription. It makes sense to have any kind of ads if the channel is FTA but not when a subscriber is already paying for the same.

It is definitely nice to watch movies without a break. Both these channels are also dual audio channels. Both of them have HD transmission but Airtel has not yet subscribed them for HD.

Was excited until I realised it'll show both Bollywood and Hollywood movies. Not sure if it'll be worth it if it ends up dedicating any more than 3-5 hours a day on Hindi movies/other content.

The best thing I found about these 2 channels is... they are showing all the famous HBO TV Shows on these channels such as Game of Thrones, True Blood, The Sopranos, The Boardwalk Empire etc. Indian viewers have always been deprived of these great HBO shows directly on TV.

However we all know the content is always restricted with all the adult scene and talks deleted or muted/blurred. So I personally would prefer watching these shows on Bluray or with the help of Internet; but still it's a great thing on Indian TV.

The best thing I found about these 2 channels is... they are showing all the famous HBO TV Shows on these channels such as Game of Thrones, True Blood, The Sopranos, The Boardwalk Empire etc. Indian viewers have always been deprived of these great HBO shows directly on TV.

However we all know the content is always restricted with all the adult scene and talks deleted or muted/blurred. So I personally would prefer watching these shows on Bluray or with the help of Internet; but still it's a great thing on Indian TV.
I never enjoy movies/serials showed on English channels because of ridiculous censoring. In fact, I never watch English movies end to end.

I mentioned the above news about the new HBO channels just as a matter of interest.

I hope that these are launched across all DTH platforms in India, specially TataSky, which is very laggard in introducing new channels but does not hesitate to increase monthly subscription fees every now and then.
Very true...it'll take atleast 2-3 months for tata sky to add these channels in their kitty...and of course with an addtional charge of 30-40 rs. per month...

I still could not digest Airtel cutting off Star cricket and Espn HD channels and instead giving some Sony sports channel in HD. I'm vey much thinking of moving to Videocon soon. Hope they do not go the airtel way.

Dish TV has these two channels in HD. Will they have 5.1 audio as well? I was planning to go with Airtel or Videocon but now I don't have a choice except to go for Dish TV as I really want these two channels in HD.

Dish TV has these two channels in HD. Will they have 5.1 audio as well? I was planning to go with Airtel or Videocon but now I don't have a choice except to go for Dish TV as I really want these two channels in HD.

They will be on other platforms soon. The channels have just been launched. You do what you feel you ought to do.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I never enjoy movies/serials showed on English channels because of ridiculous censoring. In fact, I never watch English movies end to end.

I mentioned the above news about the new HBO channels just as a matter of interest.

I am also utterly surprised at the level of censoring tolerated by the media-watching Indian public in this day and age, which otherwise has no problem in professing itself as a liberal country.
There is more completely out-of-context implied sex, ridiculous violence and bad language in Bollywood movies than the way English movies in general handle the same.

+1 one there Staxxx, the mindset of the ministers and mandarins implementing the censorship rules is about 200 years behind the times. Wonder why they do not put up a notice on screen stating " Fornication causes AIDS and other terrible diseases" every time the actors get close on screen. (They cannot mention " S*X" as that word apparently is also forbidden. Even medical terms like " Gluteus Maximus" is censored !

The obnoxious practice of placing huge cross advertising right across the middle of the screen often even blocking the actors faces, is increasing led by Star World, Zee TVNDTV, Discovery among others is increasing by the day.
I have protested against this practice and have written to TRAI ,some movie /TV critics who choose to ignore such issues. I have never seen these practices adopted in any other democratic country.

Sadly the one movie channel that really cared for movies (TCM )has ceased its India coverage, I now limit my viewing to some live sports events and try and get the DVD / BD of the series I really enjoy watching.

Last edited:
The HD channels are available on TS now and the charge is Rs 99 per month for the same.

If Tata Sky will charge 99 for these new HD channels, it will be very expensive to stay with TS. Because I already paying Rs. 100 as HD Charge and the New HBO HD channels and Star World Premier HD are exclusive of this Amount.

I think it will be commercial ad free but their channel promotion ads will be huge to compensate the ad timings more so without the usual nuisance. This ad free itself is a mockery by these channels when they charge you a subscription. It makes sense to have any kind of ads if the channel is FTA but not when a subscriber is already paying for the same.

Exactly..

If Tata Sky will charge 99 for these new HD channels, it will be very expensive to stay with TS. Because I already paying Rs. 100 as HD Charge and the New HBO HD channels and Star World Premier HD are exclusive of this Amount.

Yes, it is charging Rs 99 on their site now. So guess the era of special channels have started which will not be part of any Mega or HD package.

The new HD system simply is a new way to get more money out of us. But none of the channels actually are HD. HBO is always great lets see how these two work out.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back