HD Media Players: Seagate; Iomega or WD

terence_fdes

I would be grateful if users could share their experience of using any of these brands [or suggest any other] and their performances.
Seagate : FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player - Model STCEM201-RK [ capa 500 GB to ?
Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player USB 2.0/Ethernet/AV [capa uptp 2TB]
Western Digital TV-Live Hub [1TB built in]
Are these reasonably priced ?

Note: I hv an 47LG-LED TV4600 series [This has a USB input which takes upto 1TB capa & support for the foll file formats - DAT; MPG; MPEG; VOB; AVI; DIVX; MP4; MKV; TS; TRP; TP; ASF & WMV]

I would love to watch either blu-ray rip's or full HD 1080 movie files.

Initially, I thot of just going for a 1TB seagate usb HDD only & plugging it directly to my TV... I checked out my nephews 500 GB HDD and watched Avatar [Blu-ray rip 720p] - towards the end had lip-sync issues. Again, I feel that all of the above HD media Players hv 1 major advantage - HDMI throughput for better quality signal than me just attaching a usb-hdd

Alternately & sometime in the future - I also thot of going in for a Sherwood Blu-ray player [BDP-5004] - It's "region-free" & will also help in the playback of my over 300 dvd's - upscaled to 1080 thru this player.

Lastly, I would not like to make any unwise expenditure.

I would be grateful if users could share their experience of using any of these brands [or suggest any other] and their performances.
Seagate : FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player - Model STCEM201-RK [ capa 500 GB to ?
Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player USB 2.0/Ethernet/AV [capa uptp 2TB]
Western Digital TV-Live Hub [1TB built in]
Are these reasonably priced ?

Note: I hv an 47LG-LED TV4600 series [This has a USB input which takes upto 1TB capa & support for the foll file formats - DAT; MPG; MPEG; VOB; AVI; DIVX; MP4; MKV; TS; TRP; TP; ASF & WMV]

I would love to watch either blu-ray rip's or full HD 1080 movie files.

Initially, I thot of just going for a 1TB seagate usb HDD only & plugging it directly to my TV... I checked out my nephews 500 GB HDD and watched Avatar [Blu-ray rip 720p] - towards the end had lip-sync issues. Again, I feel that all of the above HD media Players hv 1 major advantage - HDMI throughput for better quality signal than me just attaching a usb-hdd

Alternately & sometime in the future - I also thot of going in for a Sherwood Blu-ray player [BDP-5004] - It's "region-free" & will also help in the playback of my over 300 dvd's - upscaled to 1080 thru this player.

Lastly, I would not like to make any unwise expenditure.

ALL 3 DOES NOT support HD audio codecs i think,why not X treamer or AC ryan?

ALL 3 DOES NOT support HD audio codecs i think,why not X treamer or AC ryan?

Hemant now u got me all confused:
Western Digital support for HD audio codecs are: - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

Now isn't this sufficient ???

Though all products claim support for various codecs, what is important is whether they have implemented their software well. Companies such as TViX, Popcorn Hour, and Dune have mature software that supports media formats including Blu-Ray well. I have found the WDTV Live Hub to be deficient in support of Blu-Ray formats as well as some audio formats such as WMA. It does support basic formats such as MP3 and AVI quite well.

Cheers

Mostly for HD Audio it is the chipset which has to be compatible in getting a licensed firmware .....

It is the chipset company that has to procure license first so these guys can release new firmware supporting newer formats.

The WDTV Live Hub uses a Sigma 8654 processor. According to the company's spec sheet, the chip set supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS MA, and WMA. I can confirm that the Hub did not process DTS MA nor WMA.

Actually Blu-Ray support has been available from the days of Sigma's 864x series. So I am not sure it has anything to do with the chip set.

Cheers

Though all products claim support for various codecs, what is important is whether they have implemented their software well. Companies such as TViX, Popcorn Hour, and Dune have mature software that supports media formats including Blu-Ray well. I have found the WDTV Live Hub to be deficient in support of Blu-Ray formats as well as some audio formats such as WMA. It does support basic formats such as MP3 and AVI quite well.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. I really appreciate ur feedback & hv also checked ur detailed review of WD Live TV Hub. What's ur opinion on Seagate & Iomega's HD media players? Or should I look at other options/brands ?

My main interest would be in "excellent playback/PQ" of Blu-ray & HD content at 1080p or 1080i without any flaws.

Thanks Venkat. I really appreciate ur feedback & hv also checked ur detailed review of WD Live TV Hub. What's ur opinion on Seagate & Iomega's HD media players? Or should I look at other options/brands ?

My main interest would be in "excellent playback/PQ" of Blu-ray & HD content at 1080p or 1080i without any flaws.

No HD sound requirement?

For proper playback of Blu-Ray contents, the only companies that I know for sure to have proper implementation are Syabas Technology, Dune and Dvico. I am sure there are others, but these are what I have some personal experience with.

Cheers

For proper playback of Blu-Ray contents, the only companies that I know for sure to have proper implementation are Syabas Technology, Dune and Dvico. I am sure there are others, but these are what I have some personal experience with.

Cheers

Thanks again Venkat. I guess my Budget [upto 9-10k only!] is proving to be a constraint [+ easy availability of some of these brands in India]. Of course I was blown when I checked out Xtreamer-Pro Media player....but it's sooooo expensive :mad:

I am from Mumbai] so I want to re-consider the WD TV live hub .... did it really prove to be consistently problematical with 1080 content [i.e stutter/judder/lip-sync issues] ??

Secondly, I might hv to go in for Sherwood Bluray BDP-5004 at a later date [everyone claims it's region-free!!] - so that my collection of 300+ DVD's can be viewed better [upscaling to 1080].

I hv an ancient :mad: Mitashi DVD player [DiVX also] which has served me well....maybe it's time for me to say R.I.P to it :sad:

Lastly do any of the current HD-storage based Medial Players upscale SD content [can I route signals thru them]. Most of them have various A/V outputs only.

Of course I was blown when I checked out Xtreamer-Pro Media player....but it's sooooo expensive :mad:

:):).

I am from Mumbai] so I want to re-consider the WD TV live hub .... did it really prove to be consistently problematical with 1080 content [i.e stutter/judder/lip-sync issues] ??

From what I can understand, the Hub is a standard WDTV Live with a 1TB drive and a few extra features. Both the WDTV Live and the Hub have been (dis)reputed to have issues with Blu-Ray. WD is very silent on the specifications side, though there is a lot of buzz on the forums. Over the last few days, I have seen the Hub perform extremely well with standard video and audio files. It is only with full Blu-Ray folders that the Hub stutters and struggles.

Secondly, I might hv to go in for Sherwood Bluray BDP-5004 at a later date [everyone claims it's region-free!!] - so that my collection of 300+ DVD's can be viewed better [upscaling to 1080].

Though the price is very attractive, Sherwood is not a very reputed brand. I have seen companies such as Pioneer, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc., sell their Blu-Ray players for as low as 5K in Dubai. I am sure these products will be available around that price in India also soon. It might make sense to wait.

I hv an ancient :mad: Mitashi DVD player [DiVX also] which has served me well....maybe it's time for me to say R.I.P to it :sad:

:) Lay a wreath on the coffin from my side also.

Lastly do any of the current HD-storage based Medial Players upscale SD content [can I route signals thru them]. Most of them have various A/V outputs only.

AFAIK, none of the media players have any upscaling facilities. They are simple players that mount a media and play it for you. Since they have to contend with never ending media formats, they leave all processing to external units.

I would suggest that you look at a decent AVR as your central processing unit. In the recent past, i have started ripping all the DVDs I buy and play them through my HTPC so that the upscaling requirements are taken care of by my AVR. I hardly ever use the Pioneer DVD Player that I have now. If the movie is good, I keep the rip. Or, as you say, I say 'R.I.P' to the digital copy.

Sheesh, I am getting poetic!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Whoosh Ventak [ur a guy after my own soul]:clapping:. I really appreciate ur technical expertise on these issues....as well as ur poetic leanings so next time we meet the :beer: on me pal

Since u mentioned all the famous brands in India [Blu-ray players] - I am afraid ALL of them have "region-code" issues with most branded DVD's not playing thru them. I DESPERATELY WANT A REGION-FREE BD Player [both for DVD's & Blu-ray discs yaar].

I tested the LG BD550 and was sooo dissappointed [it played Moserbaer DVD's purrfectly] BUT rejected Excel Home Video's; Big-Cinema - reliance dvd's; etc.

So if my budget is below 10k .... yeeks and that's stretching it [ 'coz my wife wud bbq my :licklips: .....gotcha]......which would be the best brand to go for ...... Full HD player with 1 TB storage ?????

i would suggest have a look at AC Ryan players. Both the Mini and the full one. both can serve your purpose very well and that too with all parameters you are talking about

plus the support is fabulous for them (check the forum reviews). and the best part is all under your budget and you can buy from the mumbai office of theirs. so no shipping issues too

i have cross checked with all reviews and players and zeroed in on AC Ryan Play ON HD Mini.

all the best

i would suggest have a look at AC Ryan players. Both the Mini and the full one. both can serve your purpose very well and that too with all parameters you are talking about

plus the support is fabulous for them (check the forum reviews). and the best part is all under your budget and you can buy from the mumbai office of theirs. so no shipping issues too

i have cross checked with all reviews and players and zeroed in on AC Ryan Play ON HD Mini.

all the best

STILL THEIR hd AUDIO PASSTHROUGH CAPACITY IS DOUBTFUL,no-one confirmed till end and company was lying in first phase ( BTW Extreamer too) so just recheck the facts..

all the best

Well thats interesting. Can you give me the address/ph nos of their Mumbai Office and what is the price of the above.

These prices are of Jan 5th so i suggest cross check again, maybe the prices have gone down. also ask if the HD Mini 2 has launched or not.

ACR-PV73200 P+
AC Ryan Playon!HD Mini FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Out Wifi Dongle ) rs.6810.00

ACR-PV73200 P+
AC Ryan Playon!HD Mini FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) rs. 8200.00

ACR-PV73100 P +
AC Ryan Playon! HD Full HD Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) rs. 9500.00

Shrivinaya Bhatt <[email protected]> Mumbai representative

i think they have their office somewhere in vikhroli.
you can call their bangalore office and take the details of mumbai one.
Tele : 91 080 41753490 / 41139553 / 41210347

all the best and with your equipment i think Mini should be enough. also checked with them and they said that 2tb works fine with the mini. saw 1tb on sale for 3000rs today on the net. so overall a mini (6800) plus a 2tb hdd (5000) should do you. in 12000 you have a 2tb media player set.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back