HD Ready Plasma or Full HD LCD

avfactor

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum but I have read a lot in the forum and am convinced there are very knowledgeable members who could help me out.

I am planning to buy a TV (42"). I will mostly watch TATA Sky SD or downloaded movies. Watching distance will be around 8 ft.

I had decided for panasonic plasma P42U30D (which was Full HD) but since it is not available I thought P42X30 may be considered (but is HD Ready). Is there real difference in PQ of both the TVs.

Considering the above please advise if P42U30D is worth waiting or P42X30 may be purchased to save money. Or should any Full HD LCD TV be considered over P42X30.

Samsung D450/D490 is the choice in this price range.
Samsung has excellent USB playback in addition to better colour reproduction in this range. The black levels of X30 (which is the USP of panasonics) is also average compared to higher end models. Samsung is slimmer and light weight too.

Overall D450@ 35k and D490 with 2 3D glasses at 39k (CROMA) is better value than the X30.

Samsung D450/D490 is the choice in this price range.
Samsung has excellent USB playback in addition to better colour reproduction in this range. The black levels of X30 (which is the USP of panasonics) is also average compared to higher end models. Samsung is slimmer and light weight too.

Overall D450@ 35k and D490 with 2 3D glasses at 39k (CROMA) is better value than the X30.

go for D550 ..superb :clapping:

Coffee or Toffee - the battle continues ;). Well my vote is for a 42 inch Plasma anyday, as I am myself a Plasma user and find the viewing on it much better than LCDs.

Agree with Blasto on quality of Samsung in color reproduction but will say go an compare the sets on your own in a showroom. One more point to be considered - if Pana is still giving a 3 year warranty, think about it- both LG and Samsung have a series of complaints on panels failing in less than a 1-2 year time frame (again from personal experience - LG has fixed things for me though).

let us know what you buy. I am also on look out for a new tv and i was considering pana model 42x 30.

let us know what you buy. I am also on look out for a new tv and i was considering pana model 42x 30.
Sure.

With the help of this forum I came to conclusion that for TATA Sky SD & downloaded movies, 42X30 is the TV for me but Blasto has suggested that D450 is better than X30. I am a little confused now between X30 & D450. Can somebody clear the confusion.

Sure.

With the help of this forum I came to conclusion that for TATA Sky SD & downloaded movies, 42X30 is the TV for me but Blasto has suggested that D450 is better than X30. I am a little confused now between X30 & D450. Can somebody clear the confusion.

You can go and take any one of them and you will be happy. D450 has more features vs-a-vs USB HD playback which will come in handly for playing downloaded content. It produces richer (but albeit unnatural) colours too.

Edit: Ofcource 3 year warrenty of the X30 is a consideration too. Samsung comes with 1 year.

Last edited:
You can go and take any one of them and you will be happy. D450 has more features vs-a-vs USB HD playback which will come in handly for playing downloaded content. It produces richer (but albeit unnatural) colours too.

Edit: Ofcource 3 year warrenty of the X30 is a consideration too. Samsung comes with 1 year.

no,now pana after diwali is with 1 year worronty.I brought one more x30

Samsung has panel problems, also they r giving only 1 yr warranty.
Whereas Panny is giving 3 yrs warranty (AFAIK) and no such panel probs whatsoever.
Though any electronics appliance is prone to hv prob at any point of time....:rolleyes:

my 2 frnds bought an 26" LED (can't remember model) nd a Plasma D450 4 months ago.......nd both of them got visual artifacts on their TV panels after 2 months using.....the LED was totaly dead on after 2 months......finally they got the replacement last month.......may be their bad luck too......:sad:

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum but I have read a lot in the forum and am convinced there are very knowledgeable members who could help me out.

I am planning to buy a TV (42"). I will mostly watch TATA Sky SD or downloaded movies. Watching distance will be around 8 ft.

I had decided for panasonic plasma P42U30D (which was Full HD) but since it is not available I thought P42X30 may be considered (but is HD Ready). Is there real difference in PQ of both the TVs.

Considering the above please advise if P42U30D is worth waiting or P42X30 may be purchased to save money. Or should any Full HD LCD TV be considered over P42X30.

hi,
my suggestion is to look at a full hd 42"/50" plasma,you wont regret.

even i had the same dilemma when i was planning to purchase,between full hd and hd ready.

i decided to go with full hd and i am happy with my decision.

i selected because of the following

1) i watch full hd downloaded movies - Favours full hd
2) dth is shifting towards full hd(1080i) - Favours full hd

happy hunting.
Dijeesh.

Now that I have decided for plasma, could anybody please guide me about break in, is it necessary, if yes, what is the procedure and for how long should it be followed. Please guide.

Whats the use of warranty when it doesn't apply to burn-ins. :p

Whats the use of warranty when it doesn't apply to burn-ins. :p

Warranty is for the whole TV........plasma panels can be faulty ar even any electronic defect can arise in the TV while using........nd nw a days it is somehow true that, no. of years of warranty, the product will run good for that stipulated time..........after that its in god's hand :rolleyes:
so the bottomline is more the warranty safer the buy......

avfactor - HD ready is usually inferior to full HD LCD.

What HD ready typically means it the TV is capable of playing HD signals (720p/1080p etc) but the catch is the display resolution of the screen could be 720 or even lower - it depends on the model/manufacterer and we dont have standards for it.

So my suggestion would be to wait for the full HD.

Have experienced both plasma/LCD 46 screens, plasma guess does produce better black levels and has some + points. But LCD sure is coming very close. The things in favour of LCD would be the longer life (LED driver back panels) and lower energy costs compared to plasma and is a bit less fragile than plasma.

Yes panasonic is the best with plasmas.

Best wishes.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back