HD ready vs full HD - plasma dilemma

e1t1bet

So I have narrowed down to two plasma models. The panasonic x30 and st30. My requirements are these:
(1) will mostly play 720p br rips and regular dvd rips
(2) some hd tv channels (sports mostly)
(3) some hd movies (1% of time maybe)

I might move out of the city/country in 1-2 years, so i dont want to spend 60k on the st30.
The pq difference beyween the x30 and the st30 is palpable, but not big enough for me to shell 30k extra.
At the same time, I am not sure if the 1024x768 resolution of the x30 will work with stuff played from a computer (my main player) The tv is listed as a 16:9, so I am not sure why the native pixel ratio is a 4:3.
For playing regular 720p rips from a computer using hdmi, is there a disadvantage with the x30 that I am missing?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, Let me make it simple for you. Panasonic make the best Plasma's in the hi end bracket. If you have the budget go for V,S,G series. They are the best plasma your money can buy. However if you do not want to spend so much then go with Samsung plasma's.

Samsung Plasma's would be better than Pan X30. Better still demo as many tv's and then decide.Remember to always demo Plasma tv's in low ambient light. Request the salesman to dim the lights and then witness the magic plasma's have to offer.

All the best!!!

I know the difference between the neo-pdp and the rest. The sammy doesn't come with 3 year warranty, so it's a deal breaker. The X30 looks at least as good (if not better). I would have loved to get the ST30, but only if I was buying a TV for 5 yr plus. I don't want to spend 60k for some 18 months or so.

Anyhow, my worry was really about the X30 resolution (1024 x 768). Will it work fine with my laptop, or will I end up with black boundaries around the image, or image stretches?

Thanks.
:)

IMO the best model for you will be Samsung PS43E470. I own it. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Please understand gentleman's question as I am also, always, thinking same about the resolution mentioned in these specification.

I can see the screen looks wide format visually, but they mention 1024 X 768 which is 4:3 ratio.

Let it be any brand but why do they mention 4:3 screen ratio and not wide screen format ratio 16:9. having 1366 X 768 pixels.

I know the difference between the neo-pdp and the rest. The sammy doesn't come with 3 year warranty, so it's a deal breaker. The X30 looks at least as good (if not better). I would have loved to get the ST30, but only if I was buying a TV for 5 yr plus. I don't want to spend 60k for some 18 months or so.

Anyhow, my worry was really about the X30 resolution (1024 x 768). Will it work fine with my laptop, or will I end up with black boundaries around the image, or image stretches?

Thanks.
:)

I would still rather you go for Samsung than the X30. TV resolution should not be a problem. You just need to match the tv and laptop resolution and it should be fine. Most laptops and tv's have in built overscan features that you can play around with to get a full unstretched picture. You will have many options for resolution on the laptop.............you need to select the one closest to 1024 x 768 which could be 1280 x 800, depending on the display driver. You might not even have to manually set the resolution as the laptop would auto detect the tv's native resolution.

To further confirm, why don't you carry your laptop to any of the stores and have a demo for yourself.

all the content you have mentioned is 720p or 1080i. Why do you want to go with a 1080p tv by paying 30k extra, for a feature you wont use it.

Hi Guys,

Good News, LG launch his new plasma series in india. Yesterday i saw the demo of new LG4500 Series 42inch plasma @37K, better than Samsung 43E470:), rest of the models will be launch soon.

So please wait for more updates.

better to check the new LG series with the Samsung plasmas and then decide. Go for Panasonic if you have the budget for neo pdp panels.

Hi Guys,

As per LG Shoppe the new LG PA6500 (Full HD without 3D) and PM4700 (HD with 3D smart TV) series will be launch in May'12 and all are in budget Price.

Last edited:
So I have narrowed down to two plasma models. The panasonic x30 and st30. My requirements are these:
(1) will mostly play 720p br rips and regular dvd rips
(2) some hd tv channels (sports mostly)
(3) some hd movies (1% of time maybe)

I might move out of the city/country in 1-2 years, so i dont want to spend 60k on the st30.
The pq difference beyween the x30 and the st30 is palpable, but not big enough for me to shell 30k extra.
At the same time, I am not sure if the 1024x768 resolution of the x30 will work with stuff played from a computer (my main player) The tv is listed as a 16:9, so I am not sure why the native pixel ratio is a 4:3.
For playing regular 720p rips from a computer using hdmi, is there a disadvantage with the x30 that I am missing?

Thanks in advance :)

Please understand gentleman's question as I am also, always, thinking same about the resolution mentioned in these specification.

I can see the screen looks wide format visually, but they mention 1024 X 768 which is 4:3 ratio.

Let it be any brand but why do they mention 4:3 screen ratio and not wide screen format ratio 16:9. having 1366 X 768 pixels.

While the pixel "count" ratio is 4:3 for 1024x768, the display is actually 16:9 by having rectangular pixels (i.e. non-square). Resolutions 1366x768 or 1920x1080 have square pixels on a 16:9.

While for videos this may be fine, I did not like computer output on such screen. Better would be to see it for yourself.

HI Guys,

Good News, LG 2012 Plasma (4 Models) and LED (7 Models) now available on LG india site. Please check and call your local dealer for availability.

Forgot to update. I couldnt resist the ST30, so got myself that for 62k :)
P.S. Dont know much about Samsung, but saw an LG plasma that was great. However, that 1year warranty is a deal breaker.

I would rate Panasonic > Samsung > LG. Buy a model 720p model that provides with the longest warranty. You should be good. No point wasting extra money otherwise.

I still have a 720P plasma and viewing habits similar to yours. I may not get the 1080P quality with BDs but 720P is amazing enough atleast for me. Discovery and Sports are well worth it as well. To me, 1080P has still not hit mainstream esp. when we are talking about 720P in TVs only now.

Last edited:
Forgot to update. I couldnt resist the ST30, so got myself that for 62k :)
P.S. Dont know much about Samsung, but saw an LG plasma that was great. However, that 1year warranty is a deal breaker.

rest assured..............you got a really good tv, feel proud of it!!! don't think about the samsungs and lg now!!!

I would rate Panasonic > Samsung > LG. Buy a model 720p model that provides with the longest warranty. You should be good. No point wasting extra money otherwise.

I still have a 720P plasma and viewing habits similar to yours. I may not get the 1080P quality with BDs but 720P is amazing enough atleast for me. Discovery and Sports are well worth it as well. To me, 1080P has still not hit mainstream esp. when we are talking about 720P in TVs only now.

1080p only makes sense if you have the content................if you regularly watch bluray then might make sense. For all others who depend on cable for HD, 720p is more than sufficient.

Hi Guys,

One more great news, panasonic 2012 lineup is launched in india. The new 42XT50D 3D plasma is now available in 47K. :)

Hi Guys,

One more great news, panasonic 2012 lineup is launched in india. The new 42XT50D 3D plasma is now available in 47K. :)

XT50 does not use neo pdp + Infinite Black Pro panel. I would go with any 30 model that do support them. The main reason of buying Panasonic would be for its panel. This is what makes pan score over samsung or lg.

Panasonic new 2012 tv line up:
Panasonic's 2012 TV line-up - full overview - FlatpanelsHD

rest assured..............you got a really good tv, feel proud of it!!! don't think about the samsungs and lg now!!!

Thanks. You've been one of the persuaders who convinced me to buy the ST30 btw :) I saw Avatar and Incredible Hulk in full HD yesterday. The colors were so intense in my room environment - I had never seen anything like that on a TV screen. I have amazing speakers (studio monitors), so the overall experience was absolutely insane.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back