HDMI 2.0 is out

ranjeetrain

Details here: HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

Only just after it leaked out, the folks at HDMI Licensing are announcing HDMI 2.0 officially. Arriving just in time for the wide rollout of a new generation of Ultra HDTVs, it adds a few key capabilities to the connection standard. With a bandwidth capacity of up to 18Gbps, it has enough room to carry 3,840 x 2,160 resolution video at up to 60fps. It also has support for up to 32 audio channels, "dynamic auto lipsync" and additional CEC extensions. The connector itself is unchanged, which is good for backwards compatibility but may disappoint anyone hoping for something sturdier to support all of those suddenly-popular dongles. The cables won't change either, as the group claims current high-speed Category 2 wires can handle the increased bandwidth. Some companies have suggested upgrade paths for their UHDTVs already on the market -- hopefully we'll find out more about those plans this week at IFA 2013.

20130903222147.jpg

Again bad news for the hifi guys. Now manufactures upgrades this in to their equipment with premium charges. And all our recently brought equipment will be of older version.
They should have atleast 5yrs gap between upgrades.
Version 1.0 came in Dec 2002 and within 10 years they have so many versions -
1.2a
1.3a
1.3b
1.4a
1.4b

It's true. Upgrade cycle time is decreasing with increasing competition for market share. No manufacturer wants to remain behind the competition. How will they take your money if they don't offer you something new?

Consumer is also responsible. We always want the gadget with latest and greatest features. Whether or not we are able to utilise the features of the previous one fully.

Manufacturers are only exploiting the consumers' weakness.

I don't see myself using 4K resolution in coming 2-3 years. So I can safely skip this one for now. I am still crawling 720p (>70%) and sometime walking 1080p ... running is far from now :p

I don't see myself using 4K resolution in coming 2-3 years. So I can safely skip this one for now. I am still crawling 720p (>70%) and sometime walking 1080p ... running is far from now :p

I know :D Even I am not going to change my cables just because something new is on the market. I'll use my current cables till I feel I am hitting their performance limits.

I know :D Even I am not going to change my cables just because something new is on the market. I'll use my current cables till I feel I am hitting their performance limits.

Cable change is not required as it appears that current high speed cables are capable for HDMI 2.0. But the devices will have to be upgraded and I am not going to do that as yet. Frankly, 4k does not excite me as much as 1080p did.

Cable change is not required as it appears that current high speed cables are capable for HDMI 2.0. But the devices will have to be upgraded and I am not going to do that as yet. Frankly, 4k does not excite me as much as 1080p did.

Absolutely, same thought over here. I am very happy with 1080p. Anything more would be overkill for me in the present display.

Was at a seminar last year where video guru Joe Kane referred to 4K as a "solution looking for a problem". At typical viewing distances, most viewers wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Had to get within 6-7 feet of a 110-inch screen in order to see pixel break-down of a 1080p image (where 4K would have an advantage). But who sits 6 feet from a 110-inch screen.

I have problems finding stuff in HD quality... The tamil channels are still stuck at standard definition... i dont see them upgrading to 420p or 720p...let alone full HD... 4k will happen if the politicians are made to believe it will help gather votes...in such cases 4k tv will be given for free :D i calll dibs...

Absolutely, same thought over here. I am very happy with 1080p. Anything more would be overkill for me in the present display.

Was at a seminar last year where video guru Joe Kane referred to 4K as a "solution looking for a problem". At typical viewing distances, most viewers wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Had to get within 6-7 feet of a 110-inch screen in order to see pixel break-down of a 1080p image (where 4K would have an advantage). But who sits 6 feet from a 110-inch screen.

I have problems finding stuff in HD quality... The tamil channels are still stuck at standard definition... i dont see them upgrading to 420p or 720p...let alone full HD... 4k will happen if the politicians are made to believe it will help gather votes...in such cases 4k tv will be given for free :D i calll dibs...

IMO, the problem is not that they are advancing the display technology or connectivity technology or communication bandwidth. The problem (and the real challenge) is that the rest of the world is unable to keep pace with them. Like Gautham said, we are still in the SD age (our broadcast content). Even full HD is not reaized. What on earth are we gonna do with 4K?

But, purely on the merit of the technology. Guys, I have to say this: the 4K displays with genuine 4K contents are nothing sort of breathtaking. Take my words for it.

It's a long time in coming, but once we have plenty of 4K content, believe me that would be seeing the world in an entirely new light. 4K will revolutionize the video reproduction yet again the same way Full HD once did. I am betting on 4K. By 2017-18, 4K will be standard (in west) and by 2020-22 in India.

The best part is - we Indians stand to gain from it more. Because due to smaller living spaces, we can appreciate the higher pixel density more than our counterparts in the west.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back