HDMI ARC issues with Firestick 4k ?

grunthos

I've had a perplexing issue with HDMI ARC on my LG TV and my Firestick 4k

My setup is as follows :
Firestick is connected in the HDMI input of my LG 4k LED TV (50UK6560PTC model)
Audio via HDMI ARC connected to Denon X1000 and from there to speakers (Dali Zensor 7 in 2.0 configuration)

In the TV, sound output is set to HDMI ARC, with the further option of "Auto" or "PCM" inside HDMI ARC.

When I first setup the TV, I left HDMI ARC to "Auto" setting and I would get Dolby 5.1 notification on my receiver - meaning I was getting 5.1 audio signal. However, after a sudden power cut, the audio turned into gibberish (sounds like a fast forwarded video). Initially I feared my speakers got fried, but then found that my speakers were fine, and the signal from HDMI ARC was gibberish. Changing the HDMI ARC from "Auto" to "PCM" removed the gibberish, but I was receiveing only stereo and not 5.1 audio signal in my receiver!

I plugged in the Firestick into a different HDMI input on my TV (it has three HDMI inputs) and was able to get 5.1 audio using HDMI ARC "Auto" option again. But my new maid mistakenly switched off the plug powering the TV and my sound changed to gibberish again.

Switching to 3rd HDMI input had same consequences. 5.1 audio worked fine with a while, but then someone improperly switched off the TV/receiver and 5.1 audio turned into gibberish.
Now I am out of HDMI input ports to plug into and I am stuck with 2.0 audio :(
(currently my speakers are also 2.0, so it is okay. But I plan to make a 3.0 setup soon and then I will need 5.1 audio)

I can use the optical out to get full 5.1 audio, but I lose out on the incredible convenience of ARC - namely power and volume controls of TV/receiver all work from the Firestick remote. If I use an optical out cable, I will have to use the Denon remote for power/volume separately and the Firestick remote for playback control.

A little research on the internet suggests that this is a HDMI handshake issue. Any thoughts on how it can be fixed ?

So if I understand correctly, when you plug the firestick to any HDMI input, the ARC Auto feature does not work? Only PCM now on all of them?

Did you try resetting your TV to Factory settings? Also, why not connect the Firestick directly to the receiver?

MaSh

Also, why not connect the Firestick directly to the receiver?
My AVR is from 2014. So no HDCP 2.2
To see 4k content, I've connected Firestick directly to 4k TV.

If I connect Firestick to AVR first, I can only see 1080p content

I've had a perplexing issue with HDMI ARC on my LG TV and my Firestick 4k

My setup is as follows :
Firestick is connected in the HDMI input of my LG 4k LED TV (50UK6560PTC model)
Audio via HDMI ARC connected to Denon X1000 and from there to speakers (Dali Zensor 7 in 2.0 configuration)

In the TV, sound output is set to HDMI ARC, with the further option of "Auto" or "PCM" inside HDMI ARC.

When I first setup the TV, I left HDMI ARC to "Auto" setting and I would get Dolby 5.1 notification on my receiver - meaning I was getting 5.1 audio signal. However, after a sudden power cut, the audio turned into gibberish (sounds like a fast forwarded video). Initially I feared my speakers got fried, but then found that my speakers were fine, and the signal from HDMI ARC was gibberish. Changing the HDMI ARC from "Auto" to "PCM" removed the gibberish, but I was receiveing only stereo and not 5.1 audio signal in my receiver!

I plugged in the Firestick into a different HDMI input on my TV (it has three HDMI inputs) and was able to get 5.1 audio using HDMI ARC "Auto" option again. But my new maid mistakenly switched off the plug powering the TV and my sound changed to gibberish again.

Switching to 3rd HDMI input had same consequences. 5.1 audio worked fine with a while, but then someone improperly switched off the TV/receiver and 5.1 audio turned into gibberish.
Now I am out of HDMI input ports to plug into and I am stuck with 2.0 audio :(
(currently my speakers are also 2.0, so it is okay. But I plan to make a 3.0 setup soon and then I will need 5.1 audio)

I can use the optical out to get full 5.1 audio, but I lose out on the incredible convenience of ARC - namely power and volume controls of TV/receiver all work from the Firestick remote. If I use an optical out cable, I will have to use the Denon remote for power/volume separately and the Firestick remote for playback control.

A little research on the internet suggests that this is a HDMI handshake issue. Any thoughts on how it can be fixed ?
HDMI ARC can be very fussy about the quality of the HDMI cable
While I’m sure you are using a high grade cable but could it be an older low speed cable? I had faced a lot of issues with my older HDMI cables but is all good after I changed all to AmazonBasics

HDMI ARC can be very fussy about the quality of the HDMI cable
While I’m sure you are using a high grade cable but could it be an older low speed cable? I had faced a lot of issues with my older HDMI cables but is all good after I changed all to AmazonBasics
I also had the same fears about old HDMI cables. Hence I got a new HDMI 2.0 cable from Amazon when I bought the new TV. But I will try using a different cable to see if the problem is solved.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back