HDMI Cable

gauravkumra

How do we know the HDMI cable is genuine or not, since there are so many options available in the market...

is there a way to test it ?
i understand looking for a HDMI hologram is a must but how much can we trust that ?

I am looking for 25ft HDMI cable for my soon to come :yahoo: HD projector.
i found the following on ebay...

eBay India: PREMIUM QUALITY GOLD PLATED 1.3b HDMI CABLE 25 FEET (item 160499976031 end time 27-Feb-2011 15:32:26 IST)

whereas another one "Panasaonic" brand at the mall is for Rs.700 only 1.5 ft !

since i live in Delhi/NCR, i was hoping to go and visit Nehru palace for the cable and see the options available... but would that be only possible if i only knew how to differentiate the Good and Bad cables...

Please educate...

You should buy from the official dealer/distributor of the brand. Any 25 feet HDMI cable that sells for 1000, in my opinion, is suspect.

Cheers

I dont think there should be any issues in buying from ebay from that seller in your link; he is a power seller and they are mostly genuine; in any event you can always return it for a full refund if it doesnt work as required by you, as you are protected by ebay's buyer protection program;

dont be fleeced by higher priced products which dont provide any extra value...

since i live in Delhi/NCR, i was hoping to go and visit Nehru palace for the cable and see the options available... but would that be only possible if i only knew how to differentiate the Good and Bad cables...
I personally would be quite wary of buying HDMI cables from Nehru Place. HDMI cables can be quite tricky. Generally, with cables of short lengths, ie. 1.5 metres and less, one need not worry much. For, there is not much difference, if any at all, between cheaper and more expensive cables. By the way, just because a cable is more expensive, also does not guarantee it being of better quality.

The only real way of buying a good cable is to either buy a known and proven brand or to simply test out the cable yourself. Once again do keep in mind, that a particular cable brand may work perfectly fine in shorter lengths and or for lower color depths and or lower resolutions, but it may not work fine in longer lengths. Do make sure before buying, that the option for a full refund is there in case the cable does not work for you.

Makes me wonder how come the cheapo gigabit lan cables which carry digital data without any issues as such, how come similar digital data when comes to hdmi, we enter into this expensive is better debate?

Keeping aside stuff like insulation / shielding quality etc aside, does those run-off-the-mill hdmi cables bundled with devices are good in comparison to branded hdmi cables?

You could buy quality HDMI cable at reasonable prices from Blue Jeans Cable.

They recommend one quality for cables upto 25 feet length and another quality for cables above 25 feet.

There is no such thing as a HDMI-Ethernet cable. There is ofcourse, the HDMI version 1.4 cable which incorporates a data channel to the HDMI connection. This data channel enables high-speed, bi-directional communication. Thus, what Sight & Sound is probably selling is a version 1.4 HDMI cable. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it, the vast majority of consumers have no need for a 1.4 HDMI cable. Do remember, that for the 1.4HDMI to be of any additional use, it must be supoported by components at both ends. Thus, by the time one will have a projector and a blu-ray player both that support HDMI 1.4, HDMI itself will be obsolete and replaced by 'HDBaseT', which is the future replacement for all audio/video/internet cables utilized in Home Audio/Video. 'HDBaseT' uses the regular Cat5e/6 LAN cable and a standard RJ-45 connector.

The features of HDBaseT technology include:
Uncompressed video/audio up to 10.2 Gbps.
Maximum cable length of 100m, including support of multiple hops, up to 8 x 100m
Low cost standard Cat5e/6 LAN cable
Utilizes a standard RJ-45 connector
Supplies up to 100W of power which can be utilized to power a remote TV
Support for 100Mbps Ethernet
Easy installation utilizing existing in-wall Ethernet connectivity
USB support
Supports HDCP
Networking support including extended-range daisy chain and star topologies

For more info on HDBaseT --> HDBaseT

Last edited:
Spiro, I must take back the Thanks I inserted in your post!!:)

Cheers

Well ethernet feature will be useless unless you have HEC-enabled devices(HDMI Ethernet Channel).
eg.If you have AVR/device with ethernet in with HDMI 1.4,it can share data with another HEC-enabled devices including HDTV.This feature is advansed one & we may need this in future.
HDMI 1.4 Includes Ethernet, 2-Way Audio
HDMI 1.4 Brings Ethernet, 3D, 4K Support To A/V - HotHardware
YouTube - HDMI 1.4 - Ethernet Channel Demo

Now choice is yours.:)

There is no such thing as a HDMI-Ethernet cable. There is ofcourse, the HDMI version 1.4 cable which incorporates a data channel to the HDMI connection. This data channel enables high-speed, bi-directional communication.
1.5 will probably include a hose for water. Only supported by TVs that include tea-making machine. This stuff gets more and more absurd!

What's the new Intel data interface? Light something... except the PC manufacturers found that too expensive, implemented it as electric, rather than optical, but still kept the name. Crazy world, eh? :rolleyes:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back