HDMI for 125 bucks? Is this safe?

Last edited:
are these safe? i got a sony hdmi few yrs back for 2500! how are these different from the branded ones?

These are perfectly safe. HDMI carries digital signals and that transmission itself has error detection via checksums and HDCP.

That should not happen because of buffers on both AVR and TV. They are there to protect against shorts in digital signals.

And this is the reason, digital signals are sent over very low voltage and amperage.

for short length of cable the quality dosent matter much. again agree sheiding of cable , quality of copper matters, but if you are looking at 1 meter cable and using 720p video then that bandwidth is enough.
now if you are expecting mis alignment of signals i feel these cables will not be that crapy. i have cable which i paid 400 bucks and working perfectly fine for full HD
prasanna

I have a few of these Rs.125 (or cheaper) HDMI cables and they are as good as my Euro 25 HDMI cable. I have used them for 1080P Bluray playback with high bandwidth DTS HD-MA and TrueHD audio and I don't see/hear any difference.

Theoretically (and now practically) cheaper HDMI cables behaves as good as an expensive HDMI cable as far as A/V quality is concerned.

Expensive HDMI cables may outlast these cheap ones in terms of longevity but at Rs.125, who cares? I'm sure the cheap ones would easily last for 3-5 years minimum. I haven't dug the internals, but the build quality of the cheap HDMI cable has nothing to complain about.

There are lots of people who strongly contests that expensive HDMI cable has improved their Audio/Video quality. I'd confidently say... it's all in the mind....

Last edited:
There are lots of people who strongly contests that expensive HDMI cable has improved their Audio/Video quality. I'd confidently say... it's all in the mind....

I have never been a believer of snake oil or those expensive cables. Actually I have been continuously comparing expensive cables with one that I think have been made with reasonable care and attention. But I do strongly believe that a cable made with care and attention by a well know company has some value.

I have two examples. In my son's room I have an Akai Flat TV connected to a Pioneer DVD player. For a long time I have been using an ordinary component cable that came with the system. Some time ago, I went out and purchased a Bandridge cable that made a marked improvement in quality, though I continued to get noise and flicker. Recently I picked up a reasonably priced British component cable from another member. I replaced the cable and the difference was palpable. My wife actually asked me if I had changed the DVD Player. The blacks are completely black, and the noise and flicker have completely vanished.

In my HT room I again had ordinary HDMI cables that came with the players such as Oppo or Pioneer. Recently, in an experiment, I changed the cable between my HTPC and the AVR to a HDMI cable from Audioquest. Again the change was palpable. No flicker, no noise, absolute blacks and I can clearly hear every cricket chirping in an movie. The low frequencies sound absolutely delightful with a sharpness and speed that the previous cables could not deliver. I am slowly replacing all my HDMI with AQ. Mind you, these are entry level from AQ.

HDMI cables, in addition to carrying digital data, also have transmission speed to take care of. In addition, the way the connectors are made are very critical for your equipment. If you have a badly made connector it could damage you HDMI port in a player or receiver and that cannot be repaired.

Choose your cables carefully. I would avoid unknown brands and really cheap ones whether you are using it for analogue or digital transmission.

Cheers

Posting from my another post since it is more relevant here.

On the HDMI cable causing variations in picture quality front, I'm forced to think that placebo effect is causing the difference :). For a fixed length, let's say 1-3 meter, a $3 HDMI and $1000 HDMI cable should behave the same as far as Audio and Video quality is concerned as long as the cable works. It either works or doesn't work. This has been repeatedly discussed by many technical experts. See one of the links below.

YouTube - HDMI v1.4 explained

Though the discussion is mainly on HDMI V1.4, it discusses the myth of different quality HDMI cables affecting the video quality. (If you are not patient enough for the whole talk, the specific discussion on cable quality affecting video is from 3.2 minutes).

The only benefit an expensive cable may give is it may last longer (because of supposedly better quality connectors, wires, shields..).

I don't have (and wont buy until proven) any expensive HDMI cable to test it myself, but I do have a Rs.125 HDMI cable (in that Rs.35 was shipping and I'd imagine some 30% would be dealer profit making it a Rs.65 HDMI cable) and a HIFX Evolution ValuePack HDMI cable (it says Euro 29/Rs.1500 worth, bundled with POHD) and I see/hear absolutely NO difference.

No offence meant and I would really liked to be proved wrong so that I also can enjoy better quality video if possible with a higher quality HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back