HDMI from Blu-ray>TV and Optical from TV>AVR OR Optical from Blu-ray>AVR

noblejose

Hi All,
I'm in confusion, Have an old model AVR which only supports Optical and Coaxial. What is the best way to connect it to my blu-ray, TV setup.

I believe its better to connect HDMI to TV and then take TV Optical out to AVR?? :confused:

Should I choose PCM or Bitstream? :confused:

You can connect bluray HDMI to TV and optical/coaxial to AVR. This is the best way.Keep setting as raw/bitstream.

No,raw can pass DD/DTS standard formats.My old Onida DVDp which could pass DD/Dts via coaxial/optical when selected as "Raw" in audio out settings.

Dear, are you absolutely sure that it passed true 5.1 and not stereo which your receiver upgraded using ProLogic? By raw I am assuming you mean Linear PCM or LPCM, and as per the standards both optical and coaxial cannot carry uncompressed LPCM beyond 2 channels.

Dear, are you absolutely sure that it passed true 5.1 and not stereo which your receiver upgraded using ProLogic? By raw I am assuming you mean Linear PCM or LPCM, and as per the standards both optical and coaxial cannot carry uncompressed LPCM beyond 2 channels.
I am not talking about HD audio(DTSMA) as it cannot be Bit streamed via coaxial or Optical.I was suggesting to keep setting in BDp as Bitstream or Raw(which ever option is available in optical/coaxial settings in BDp).Some BDp after keeping "Bitstream" options outputs DD/DTS via coaxial(with HDMI audio off and coax on)like my Toshiba BDp does.
Earlier DVDp used to have "Raw" setting for standard formats.So I was suggesting either of the options.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/18-dv...estion-what-s-difference-between-pcm-raw.html

I am not talking about HD audio(DTSMA) as it cannot be Bit streamed via coaxial or Optical.I was suggesting to keep setting in BDp as Bitstream or Raw(which ever option is available in optical/coaxial settings in BDp).Some BDp after keeping "Bitstream" options outputs DD/DTS via coaxial(with HDMI audio off and coax on)like my Toshiba BDp does.
Earlier DVDp used to have "Raw" setting for standard formats.So I was suggesting either of the options.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/18-dv...estion-what-s-difference-between-pcm-raw.html

probably I mixed up Raw with LPCM which I now understood to be Bitsteam. Yes in that case bitstream is supported for non-HD audio formats limited to 6 channels (5.1) only I believe.

Standard DD/Dts upto 7.1 audio can be sent via coaxial/optical out.

Another learning indeed, thanks, actually now that you said I realized that where the confusion was, Actually I did the below math

Uncompressed 24/192 PCM is only supported upto 2 channels over SPDIF.
So the the bitrate can be calculated as 192,000 (samples per second) x 24 bits (per second) x 2 channels ~ 9216000 bits per second ~ 1.1 MBps so this can be considered as max bandwidth of SPDIF

However the bandwidth requirement of encoded DD Plus (7.1) is around 1.7 Mbps so 1.1 < 1.7 and hence bandwidth shortage. However I missed to check that 1.7 is Mbps and not MBps which probably explain the support.

Another learning indeed, thanks, actually now that you said I realized that where the confusion was, Actually I did the below math

Uncompressed 24/192 PCM is only supported upto 2 channels over SPDIF.
So the the bitrate can be calculated as 192,000 (samples per second) x 24 bits (per second) x 2 channels ~ 9216000 bits per second ~ 1.1 MBps so this can be considered as max bandwidth of SPDIF

However the bandwidth requirement of encoded DD Plus (7.1) is around 1.7 Mbps so 1.1 < 1.7 and hence bandwidth shortage. However I missed to check that 1.7 is Mbps and not MBps which probably explain the support.
Most of old AVRs used to support 96/24 bit input only.The receiver chip in AVR would not accept 192khz/24bit even in stereo(had tried with my old ONKYO AVR).In fact 94/24 Dts was the only format that time which was high resolution format(movies)for home use.
Rest used to be 48khz/16 bit(DD/Dts).So easily 7.1 ch can be sent via coaxial.
e.g. "Lord of the Rings" has 7.1 audio on its DVD.So can be checked.

I think the above limitation was restricted to Optical input's in AVR... I think Co-axial inputs were capable of carrying 192/24 stereo even in older AVR's too...

I think the above limitation was restricted to Optical input's in AVR... I think Co-axial inputs were capable of carrying 192/24 stereo even in older AVR's too...
At least no to my old onkyo.I used to connect soundcard with coaxial and 2 ch 192/24bit was not accepted.If I change it to 96/24bit, sound would come.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back