• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

HDMI over CAT 5/6 cable......

sam9s

Friends

Has anybody done an HDMI connection over CAT 5/6 cable. I just need to know few details like, which kit was used and where could it be available.....

Regards
Sammy

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

thekinge

Friends

Has anybody done an HDMI connection over CAT 5/6 cable. I just need to know few details like, which kit was used and where could it be available.....

Regards
Sammy
Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage in using CAT 5 / 6 cables for HDMI instead of the standard HDMI cables?

sam9s

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage in using CAT 5 / 6 cables for HDMI instead of the standard HDMI cables?
As reddymail said, cat5 is damm cheap as compared to HDMI for a particular distance, plus HDMI looses signal after 4,5 meters I suppose, thats where CAT5 comes in to play. Extenders are expensive, that is what I want to know if the over cost of running cat5 in my House comes lesser than other alternatives.....

Last edited:

sam9s

BUMP ... No one other than reddymail tried this, the more I read about this online the more logical this approch looks......

santhosh

I had no clue that this was possible. Some links on these products would be appreciated. By extenders, do you mean repeaters?

Also, have a question about Cat5/6 cables? Can these be run outdoors? Do we need to take any precaution - conduit, watertight etc? I have such a requirement, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!!

ashishkesarwani

Our company has a solution for HDMI over Cat 5 solutions and as it has already been discussed in this thread that it helps in reducing the cost of the cable where we have to run it for a long length.

sam9s

Our company has a solution for HDMI over Cat 5 solutions and as it has already been discussed in this thread that it helps in reducing the cost of the cable where we have to run it for a long length.
Yea yea we know now you have a company....:D ..... Anyway where is the site, or any link where I can check the product you are offering for HDMI over CAT5/6

BTW ashish whats the current cost of CAT 6 per foot these days....any idea....??

Last edited:

sam9s

I had no clue that this was possible. Some links on these products would be appreciated. By extenders, do you mean repeaters?

Also, have a question about Cat5/6 cables? Can these be run outdoors? Do we need to take any precaution - conduit, watertight etc? I have such a requirement, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!!
Yes that is fairly possible, I knew this for quite a while but, never ventured in to this in detail.........There are products like Trippl Lite, Atlona that have the provision for the same. By extenders I mean adapters that convert the signals. usually we have a complete small kit that has these extenders/boosters at each end of the path, with an HDMI plug. The ends are connectec with cat5/6 cable. You just need to plug in the source (AVR) and destination (HDTV) and thats it.

There are no special requirments as such, but conducts are always good, like I would be running CAT 6 cables all across my house with conduit as the entire wiring would be in wall.

The following video explains it all

YouTube - Extend HDMI signals over Cat 5 / 6 cables with Tripp Lite

ashishkesarwani

Yea yea we know now you have a company....:D ..... Anyway where is the site, or any link where I can check the product you are offering for HDMI over CAT5/6

BTW ashish whats the current cost of CAT 6 per foot these days....any idea....??
The company website you can check out at Lakozy Electronics & Services
but since this is a customised solution so you won't find it there. The cat 6 cable is avaliable for 5K for a 305Meter roll.

SPONSORED ADS
Bumping up the thread in 2018! Does anyone use HDMI extenders over cat6 Ethernet cables in their setup ? I had a few questions.

I want to connect my PC as an input to my TV/projector. Both are in different rooms. Do the HDMI extenders work reliably ? I'm talking about an effective distance of 40 feet or so ( since the cat6 wiring is in the walls, accommodating for that ). Also what's the best resolution I can expect ( 1080p or 4k ? ). Do I need to get the powered HDMI extenders or the non-powered ones. Also, if there was an unmanaged Ethernet switch in between, would the extender still work ?

I mean PC->hdmi cable->extender ->cat6 cable -> ethernet switch ->cat6 cable ->extender ->TV

Thanks for the help in advance!

EthenHunt

I am in the same dilemma. I have put 50 feet HDMI cable as well as CAT 6 cable across two rooms so that i can split the signal. Wondering whether to go for HDMI or CAT 6. Also any pointers to a good quality HDMI splitter (Not the generic one found on Amazon).?

SPONSORED ADS