HDTV not outputting DTS audio to receiver

ammarmalik

Here is my system:
Sony 46W700A
Yamaha HTR-3064 receiver

I've noticed a weird quirk with the TV. If I put a HD video file with surround sound support in a USB and play it back on my TV with it connected to my home theatre via optical cable, the receiver says PCM and plays back only via 2 channels no matter what. The TV does mention 'DTS surround' when I play the file, but it's PCM stereo on the receiver.
However when I connect the USB to my HTPC connected via the same optical cable and play it back on Windows Media player, it plays back in proper DTS surround. Any clue?

I don"t know of optical cable,for my case I had to plug HDMI into HDMI slot with ARC functionality to make this feature work.

Your TV may not be able to passthrough the dts signal through optical out and it may be downconverting the dts audio to two channel.

seems like connectivity issue

i use toslink right now to convert spdif to analog and it dsn't recognize 5.1 only PCM 2 channel stereo

Here is my system:
Sony 46W700A
Yamaha HTR-3064 receiver

I've noticed a weird quirk with the TV. If I put a HD video file with surround sound support in a USB and play it back on my TV with it connected to my home theatre via optical cable, the receiver says PCM and plays back only via 2 channels no matter what. The TV does mention 'DTS surround' when I play the file, but it's PCM stereo on the receiver.
However when I connect the USB to my HTPC connected via the same optical cable and play it back on Windows Media player, it plays back in proper DTS surround. Any clue?

This is because most of the TV supports Dts 2.0 decoding... Which means they decode the 5.1 & play it on 2.0 mode...

Moreover i guess you need to fiddle with the audio settings in your TV....You should get 5.1 out to AVR....

hd video files which has surround sound support typically have two audio streams, audio stereo and surround sound, i have read that you've mentioned that the TV does say surround sound, but i think its just something to try out, just check which audio stream its playing by default

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back