HDTV Price Anomalies across Indian TV market

George T

Would some one explain to me this anomaly:

The Samsung PLASMA PS**F8500 and the Samsung LED UA**F8000 are considered two sides of the same coin Series 8. ie they are considered equal in performance and grade.

Then why is that in the Indian Market the price variation between the two upper sizes so vast?
1) SAMSUNG UA65F8000 : MRP 385500/- and retailing around IRS 327000/-
2) SAMSUNG PS64F8500: MRP 223500/- and retailing at around IRS 212000/- and down

In the US the UN65F8000 is retailing on AMAZON at 77% of the PN64F8500

Last edited:
Would some one explain to me this anomaly:

The Samsung PLASMA PS**F8500 and the Samsung LED UA**F8000 are considered two sides of the same coin Series 8. ie they are considered equal in performance and grade.

Then why is that in the Indian Market the price variation between the two upper sizes so vast?
1) SAMSUNG UA65F8000 : MRP 385500/- and retailing around IRS 327000/-
2) SAMSUNG PS64F8500: MRP 223500/- and retailing at around IRS 212000/- and down

In the US the UN65F8000 is retailing on AMAZON at 77% of the PN64F8500

To start with, your statement is incorrect.I am not sure how you got the idea that both the 8500 plasma and the 8 series LED are equal in performance ?

Btw,Do you mean to say UN65F8000 is retailing at 23% lesser cost that the retailing cost of 64F8500 ? Are you sure ?

Now you might have a different question in mind. If 8500 is far superior to any LEDS, why is it priced cheaper than LED.

That is because people are crazed about LED and many do not understand what true picture quality is. Plasmas are comparatively costlier to produce than an LED Tv and they are sold cheaper than an LED TV in-spite of clearly having superior Picture quality and dynamic contrast ratios.

To start with, your statement is incorrect.I am not sure how you got the idea that both the 8500 plasma and the 8 series LED are equal in performance ?

Btw,Do you mean to say UN65F8000 is retailing at 23% lesser cost that the retailing cost of 64F8500 ? Are you sure ?

Now you might have a different question in mind. If 8500 is far superior to any LEDS, why is it priced cheaper than LED.

That is because people are crazed about LED and many do not understand what true picture quality is. Plasmas are comparatively costlier to produce than an LED Tv and they are sold cheaper than an LED TV in-spite of clearly having superior Picture quality and dynamic contrast ratios.

Ok. for one I made a mistake about the cost of price on AMAZON for the UN65F8000. I tried to edit it but the 1 hour time frame for edits prevented me from correcting it. It is actually 93% of the PN64F8500 cost. Yes, AMAZON US is selling the PLASMA at a slightly higher price. I get what you are saying, that the PLASMA is indeed superior to the LEDs. Point taken, BTW I have a PN51F8500.

Last edited:
Ok. for one I made a mistake about the cost of price on AMAZON for the UN65F8000. I tried to edit it but the 1 hour time frame for edits prevented me from correcting it. It is actually 93% of the PN64F8500 cost. Yes, AMAZON US is selling the PLASMA at a slightly higher price. I get what you are saying, that the PLASMA is indeed superior to the LEDs. Point taken, BTW I have a PN51F8500.

I envy you :mad: 8500 is available only on 64 inches in India. I was looking for a TV with best picture quality in the range of 40-50 inches and if PN51F8500 was available, I would have bought It hands down. Either you should be having the TV abroad or you must have imported the TV.

Amazon price when I says nearly % offer for both the Tvs.

Either ways, the 8000 series takes a loooong back seat in PQ when compared to 8500. So be happy that you have the best non Oled TV as of now.

I had to settle for Sony 950a which is said to have better PQ than the 8000 series Samsung and has Amazingly low Input lag too.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 134
I envy you :mad: 8500 is available only on 64 inches in India. I was looking for a TV with best picture quality in the range of 40-50 inches and if PN51F8500 was available, I would have bought It hands down. Either you should be having the TV abroad or you must have imported the TV.

Amazon price when I says nearly % offer for both the Tvs.

Either ways, the 8000 series takes a loooong back seat in PQ when compared to 8500. So be happy that you have the best non Oled TV as of now.

I had to settle for Sony 950a which is said to have better PQ than the 8000 series Samsung and has Amazingly low Input lag too.

Well Dont envy me :). I imported it into Kochi but it actually cost me an arm and a leg because the the over sized packaging of the TV ( to protect the PLASMA screen) made the volumetric weight go up ( something I had overlooked) and thus the freight costs came to an obscene amount, making the total cost of the TV almost as much as the P64F8500 costs in Kochi :( . But hey I still think it was worth it though. No regrets :)

I purchased 64 inch plasma last year. Its a good TV, as bright as LED. Its better to purchage with extended warranty as exactly after a year it failed to start. I called up call centre they changed the power supply unit but problem persists. Today theu came and now wanted to change the screen panel.
Initially, service centre guys declined to honour warranty, after escalations they changed the board free of cost.

Well Dont envy me :). I imported it into Kochi but it actually cost me an arm and a leg because the the over sized packaging of the TV ( to protect the PLASMA screen) made the volumetric weight go up ( something I had overlooked) and thus the freight costs came to an obscene amount, making the total cost of the TV almost as much as the P64F8500 costs in Kochi :( . But hey I still think it was worth it though. No regrets :)
Read somewhere that they are calling off the heavy duties levied on flat panel tv's brought down from abroad.

I purchased 64 inch plasma last year. Its a good TV, as bright as LED. Its better to purchage with extended warranty as exactly after a year it failed to start. I called up call centre they changed the power supply unit but problem persists. Today theu came and now wanted to change the screen panel.
Initially, service centre guys declined to honour warranty, after escalations they changed the board free of cost.

Ok is this a common problem or were u just unlucky?

Now what protectiion you have if something goes wrong? was it worth the risk?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back