Heading to Singapore, what to purchase.

vktyagi

Going to Singapore and Malaysia on the weekend. Need valued suggestions on what to and what not to purchase. Also recommended destination for shopping may be suggested.
Regards

Whatever you decide to buy, shop with care. Do not assume that Singapore will be cheaper than shipping from USA, Europe, or even buying in India. For some things it will be, but not for all. For some things, also, the range of choice may make the Singapore buying experience better, even if the price is not lower.

Remember possible warranty problems. Remember to get the necessary papers to reclaim tax when leaving Singapore. Remember, especially, your baggage allowance. Excess baggage charges could wipe out your savings!

Going to Singapore and Malaysia on the weekend. Need valued suggestions on what to and what not to purchase. Also recommended destination for shopping may be suggested.
Regards

Due to rise in SGD= 41, all items looks costly for me.:sad:

LEDs are still cheaper by at least 20%. Look for some combo offers. Gold is also bit cheaper with good quality. Mustafa is still the cheapest i feel but look for offers in nearby slim lim square and funan IT mall.

Few members are residing in SG, they may help u in detailed way, so post what u want to buy.

Let me know when ur travelling and obseravtions, I'm going again in December for chrsitmas sale.

Last edited:
i have found that malaysian made avr's and speakers are a good deal in singapore. I got a JVC soundbar at 199 sgd last october from musthafa. this was much lower than the amazon.com rates. The same is case with car stereos. There are many options for it. Not all brands are that cheap. I had planned to buy a harman kardon hkts 5:1 system over there but i found it priced almost as in india. Funan and simlim will be having good number of shops. The only day i could go there was a sunday when most of the shops were closed. I did a window shopping there and came back to musthafa to buy sound bar. Mustafa is open all days and at all time but you may not very many items in the same category over there. Harvey norman shops are good for tvs. Found avr,s over there very pricey. It would be good to know on what you are planning to buy. If it is like whatever available on a good price, then mostly it would be led tvs. As people pointed out, the deals may not be as sweet as before due to low rupee value.

Thanks a lot for valued suggestion by all of you. As rightly said, I do not have any specific plans for purchase and intend to purchase if something looks really cheap. Also skeptical towards LCDs due to warranty and handling issues which do said to carry handsome difference in prices.
And my travel date is 11th and the budget so far is open.
Regards

If you are in interested in photography, you can get a DSLR camera from there or if you already own it, buy some good lenses either wide angle or zoom depending upon your preferences.

Marantz CDPs are much cheaper in Singapore. One of the forum members only has told me about this. I have a friend living in Singapore and he checked the prices for me a few days back and informed me about the below models prices:
CD5004 S$ 320
CD6003 S$ 420
CD6004 S$ 480

Even with the current conversion rate, these prices are much much cheaper than their current price in India and also considerably cheaper than US.
The same is true for AVRs (Onkyo, Denon, Marantz) as well.

So, I guess there are plenty of products which can be purchased in Singapore and may actually come cheaper but obviously price would be a second criterion as you are not going to buy a product just because it is cheaper and your interests are going to play a vital role in the selection. It would be better if you could tell us the product/products you desperately want to see in your home.

I am interested in marantz 6006 or a 7005, and yamaha rx a 3000. Trying to find someone to carry. What would be a good place to direct a friend ready to carry it?

well are you sure about pricing?

cdp 6003 is 320sgd
cdp 6004 is 375sgd

this is today's rate

@ the prices you mentioned it will be cheaper to buy in India in grey market

I am sure about the CD6004 and CD5004 prices - but those were about 2 weeks back when my friend got the quote. I am not sure which Marantz dealer he got these quotes from.
If the prices you mentioned are for real, I am surely going to ask my friend now to buy the CD6003. I had earlier asked him to buy CD5004.
One odd question - can anyone give me a quick input on whether other than ipod charging capability, if there is any other 'real' new feature added in CD6004 over the CD6003?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back