Hello everyone. Need help for Selecting components of HT.

dramitpc

Hello everyone,
I am newcomer here. Since last few days I Have been following this forum & I found it so useful that i had decided to become a member.
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon by profession & I am totally unaware of various sound gadgets except 512 Mb iPod which is quiet old model.
Last week I had decided to buy a HT system. after internet search I had sorted for onkyo S990 as HT Package as it is THX certified. After going through this forum I am now inclined towards buying different components for HT. from onkyo site I had sorted TX SR 707.
when I had contacted onkyo dealer from Pune, he suggested me to go for denon 1610 + energy speakers for around 60K.
Now I am confused what to buy?

my room is of size 16ft by 20 ft. viewing distance approx 14ft. with sony bravia 40 inches W series. entry level DVD player LG DSI8556P. with Dish TV set top box.
utilization of HT will be for music & movies 60:40
my initial budget was 50K but i had stretched it to around 75K now
my queries are,
does THX certification plays significant role?
Do I need to go for HDMI 1.4 like TX SR608 to be future ready? or 1.3 is ok?
Video upconversion really useful?
or Onkyo hts 6200 is sufficient for my need?
your opinion on onkyo TX SR707?
Kindly guide me

does THX certification plays significant role?

THX is important in terms of delivering exactly what the director/sound editor wanted you to hear. Unfortunately, THX makes sense only if all the units in the chain follow the standards and/or certified. A lot also depends upon room acoustics.

Do I need to go for HDMI 1.4 like TX SR608 to be future ready? or 1.3 is ok? Video upconversion really useful? or Onkyo hts 6200 is sufficient for my need?

If you can afford it, there is no harm in being future proof. But HDMI 1.3 can deliver FULLHD images as well as HD audio.

your opinion on onkyo TX SR707?

The 607 is a award winning model, and this is it's elder brother. So that is also good.

In terms of speakers, see if you can audition the Q-Acoustics 1010 or 2000
series. They really sound very good for regular rooms.

Cheers

Hi dramitpc,

It seems your location is Dhule.
Did you listen to Onkyo? If not then I would suggest you to first listen then decide. Sometimes ears are more powerful than eyes.

Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
Thank u very much for your kind guidance.
I had purchased Denon 1610 with Def Tech Pro cinema 600 & Pioneer DVD Dv220 from AVxcellence, Pune. Apart from purchased models, I had auditioned 1910 with deftech pro 800 & onkyo577 with energy take 5.1. As I am a newbee, I could only make gross difference in SQ. I could make out that Dialogues r better with deftech speakers. onkyo 608 was not available for audition. Next issue with me was cost. 1610 for 28500, 1910 quoted 45000, Pro cinema 600 45000. Then I had settled for 1610 + deftech pro cinema 600 combination as I had my budget upto 75000 only.
Installed my system with Audessy setup as I dont have CPL meter & Dealer was quoting 4000 for installation charges.
Now Ht is working fine. Everyone in Home appreciated SQ.
Thanks A lot to all of u for kind inputs.

^^ congratts on your purchase.......let have some pics of your set up if that is not asking too much.... :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back