Hello friends!

gk1089

Hello friends,
My name is Gaurav and I am currently in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Time and again, whenever I had a query regarding audio/video, I found it answered in this forum. You guys really rock!!!

I am not much of an audiophile though I love technology and innovations especially. I do love watching movies though and appreciate the effect that sound has on the experience. I have done my masters in electronics and consider myself a kind of jack-of-all-trades (nothing bad about it, is there?) I love doing things in DIY mode if so required.

After I got my job a few years ago, I am slowly building up my home and collecting things for it. I have finally decided to get an audio system. I visited the electronics showrooms and was duly bowled over by the vast range of products available. I thought that a decent 5.1 setup would do well for me. I saw some setups like the one shown at BDV-N9200W : Blu-ray Home Theatre Systems : Home Theatre System : Sony India and liked what I heard.

Then, I came across this post through reddit (link to awesome looking DIY speakers) and that is what set me drooling. I began dredging the internet and learnt that even though DIY is very much a thing for building a setup, it takes quite a bit to get something right.

So here, my friends, is what my first post on this forum is about. If I have ample time and willingness to try & learn, is it feasible to build a nice sounding (as well as the set I linked above), and good looking setup for an amount that is substantially cheaper (say around Rs. 25,000). I am just talking about the speaker + amplifier set since I have access to cheap internet (digital files) that I could play using my computer. I do not care about BluRay and I do not plan to go too loud. Especially, is it feasible in India with the brand of drivers available here? I want to do the box construction on my own using MDF and am actually looking forward to it even though I do not have any experience in it. I saw some DIY posts on other sites that looked detailed enough to try, but I was not sure if I could find the exact drivers around me.

I have been reading the old DIY posts on this forum but help from you guys would be invaluable. Please point me in the right direction so that I can read the right stuff.

I guess this is getting too long for an introductory post. Shall I post the same message in the DIY section too so it can catch more eyeballs?

Thank you for hearing a n00bie out.

Cheers!
Gaurav :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back