Hello, Please & Thank You :)

gferns

Hi everyone,

I'm GF from Mumbai......middling of age, but young of heart.......lover of all things tech.

Just beginning my journey into the world of av heaven.......moving up from a Samsung HTIB to a 'proper', albeit fledgling, av system.

Been reading this forum for some months now, but registered only now. Have learnt quite a bit by reading and digging in this wonderful forum, but as you'll probably see below, am still a bit of a noob.

Need and could use a lot of help in setting up my system!

So here goes.

I just came back from the US with a bunch of goodies:
  • Pioneer SP51 Floor Standing Pair
  • Pioneer CP22 Center
  • Monoprice Premium 5.1 Set
  • Acer 6510 3D projector
  • Yamaha V375 receiver

My usage is 60:40 Movies:Music.

The plan is to use the Pioneers as the fronts, the monoprice subwoofer, and 2 monoprice satellites as the rears, through the Yamaha receiver. The rest of the 3 monoprice speakers will probably go into other rooms, running off 1 of the 2 lepai 2020+ amps I also brought back with me.

I know this is a bit of a hodge podge, but since this is my 'starter' system, cost was the major consideration, and I got all the above for under 70k, so quite happy :)

(FYI, the monoprice system is considered the equivalent of the Energy Take Classics by several eminent reviewers)

Now, for the issues I need help with:

1. Voltage:

The Yamaha AVR (250 watts) and Monoprice sub (200 watts) are 120 volt, and need a step down transformer.

I have a 1000 watt (EATA) that I use for my XBox 360, which I plan to get a smaller 200 watt one for (getting a Maxcon one for 600-700 from a guy on olx), but the current transformer has only one power socket. Was told by a local guy I could use a spike guard or multi-pin, but my research suggests the former would need to be 110 volt (don't have one) and the latter would have heating issues.

What to do? Get a third step down - inelegant, but doable........Any other workaround?

Also, not sure about the 50 hz vs 60 hz thing.......

2. Connectors:

What kind of connectors do I need for the speakers?

Have bought a spool of 14 guage wire, but no banana plugs.....do I need those?

3. Projector Screen

I'm thinking of going with one of the simple instalock ones on ebay (~3k). Would that work with my setup? I have a 7 ft by 5 ft max viewable space on my wall, (will go with a 16:9 7 x 4 if I can find one), but a 47" TV dominates it along with a electric board and intercom system.

Am planning to fit the instalock on a standing shelf a couple of feet above the TV, but this would mean, the screen would hang down a foot away from the wall instead of lying flat against the wall (as is how these screens are intended to be used). Worried this will mean the screen will 'wave' (due to fan and ambient breeze) rather than remain in place, spoiling the 'immersion' experience I dearly crave from the movies.

I really do not want to spring 10-20k for a motorized screen at this stage of my 'discovery' phase, and am not sure that solves this problem of having a foot clearance behind the screen.

That, I know, is a heck of a long first post, but I can see that this forum has some amazing contributors and am hoping to find the answers I need.

TIA guys :)

Hi gferns

Welcome to HFV!

Since you are from Mumbai, you can visit Lamington Road (Grant Road East) and check out available voltage converters which I am sure you will get. It is advisable to keep these separate to avoid heating issues.

Since you already have speaker wires, better to get them hooked up to banana plug connectors (also available at Lamington road) MX brand is good and cost effective. Check out the same with Champion Rubber shop.

As far as Projector Screens are concerned, please check the threads related to Projector Screens which may provide some direction in your quest.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to HFV :)

Like @efernand1 said, you'll get everything at Lamington Road. You can also check Snapdeal if you want to buy online but it will be a lot cheaper if you buy from Lamington Road.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back