Help! brand new Marantz CD5004 - "No disc" & "Error" issues

rraghuram

Hello all,

I have a month old Marantz Cd5004 player that has been causing problems since last 3 days. It does not recognize any disc
(commercial, copied, Mp3/WMA) and shows "No disc" message. All my discs are clean and relatively scratchless. They play absolutely fine on other systems I have. They even played superbly on the Marantz till the last few days. So my discs can't be causing the issue. I feel the disc does not even spin at all now. When the player does recognize the disc after many tries, it stops midway abruptly and shows "Error" message. I searched the forums and came across a couple of threads which suggested a fogged up/ dusty lens, spindle motor issue, tray sensor problem, loose connections etc. I just tried a Philips CD lens cleaner but that is not recognized too! Same "no disc" error! All other solutions would require the player to be opened up. As it is brand new & under warranty I don't want to open it up & i don't think I have the expertise to open the player and diagnose the issue :(! Do you have any other ideas on what may be causing this issue?

I feel the problem goes much deeper than the causes outlined above and the player may have to be returned to the dealer (hifimart/MZ Audio) which throws up a new problem - how to transport this back cheaply & reliably? Any pointers/procedures to try out before I send it back? And could you also advise me on packing & transportation? I plan to use the original carton & DTDC! is this choice of courier ok?

Any help to resolve this quickly would be greatly appreciated with thanks now & lot of beers later if you happen to be in Hyd! :)

Thanks for all the help. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Raz. I bought this player from hifimart.com. I spoke with Mr.Anil and he suggested I try a lens cleaner & also keep the cd player switched on all the time. I tried his suggestions but no luck. As per hifimart.com, I have to get it fixed by the distributor M-Z Audio in Mumbai. I will try once more to revive it else will ship it back to the dist.

Hi rraghuram,

I had the same problem in my PM 5003 player after some 3 months of use, which was purchased from Singapore.

I also tried cleaning the lens but the problem was not solved, then I opened the CDP and sensed that the the ribbon cable connecting the CDP lens to the PCB was not connected properly, it had a play in it. So I tightened the same and the problem was solved.

But some time later after a month, the same problem occurred again, and this time I again found that there was play in the cable , so I removed the cable completely and fixed it by interchanging the ends. Since then the player has not had any problems.

My advise is that if it is under warranty don't open the cover, or inform the dealer before you do it.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali.

(Note : See picture below the cable is the one having a blue band on it)

Last edited:
A quick and heartening update from my side: After several attempts to play CDs with no luck, I managed to play the lens cleaning CD for what its worth! Then managed to play a few commercial & copied CDs and they were all detected properly & played fine all the way. No skipping, no error messages so far.

@Sachin_k5: Thanks a ton for your inputs. Yes, MZ Audio are the dealers and they have asked me ship it back to them for a possible replacement or fix. They also asked me to run the lens cleaner CD & check before shipping it back.

@Murali_N: I am glad your player is working fine now. My player is under warranty and hence I don't wanna open it. Now that you say it, it could be a loose cable inside the unit. But hell, can't open it to check! I hate to say it but its heartening to know there are others who have faced similar issues (I'm not the only one!) and managed to fix them. Will keep this thread updated. Again, thanks a lot for your inputs. Cheers.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, but when I connect to my Marantz CD6004 (via USB), I get a "Cant Connect" error.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
My previous phone was an iPhone 3GS and it worked just fine.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, but when I connect to my Marantz CD6004 (via USB), I get a "Cant Connect" error.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
My previous phone was an iPhone 3GS and it worked just fine.

I guess USB input of CD6004 is designed to work with iPod/iPhone via dock connector and other USB drives directly as a disk drive

Hello all,

It does not recognize any disc (commercial, copied, Mp3/WMA) and shows "No disc" message. All my discs are clean and relatively scratchless.

Update since last post: my player worked fine all, on its own, all these months until today morning. Seems, this problem has reared its ugly head with same "No Disc" msg all over again! Tried the lens cleaner but no luck so far. Player is under warranty so not inclined to open it and check as Murali suggested! Any ideas still?

Thanks.

Marantz CD5003 - "No disc" & "Error" issues

I am reviving this thread as I am having the same problem with my Marantz cd5003 player for the last two days. It worked fine for about three years.
Wanted to know if MZ-Audio did finally solve the problem?

Regards
Roushon

Re: Marantz CD5003 - "No disc" & "Error" issues

Hi Roushon, as you are using this player from last 3 years then may be it needs lens cleaning. If it is out of warranty, you can open it and try few things yourself.

I am reviving this thread as I am having the same problem with my Marantz cd5003 player for the last two days. It worked fine for about three years.
Wanted to know if MZ-Audio did finally solve the problem?

Regards
Roushon

Thanks Prepress! It is indeed a good suggestion. I already opened it checked and cleaned the lens. But the problem persists. I believe the
laser mechanism sliding shafts need to be greased. I made an online search and found out I need Molylube or silicon grease. Do you know where can I find them in Mumbai?

Regards
Roushon.

You can get the silicon grease from any electronics spare parts shop. May be your mechanism is not loading CD completely (CD should not revolving if it is) because there is a switch inside the mechanism which works after the CD loading successfully and then CD starts revolving. If CD loading is fine, then you should check the lens or other locations.

If CD is not revolving, you can try : open the top two screws from the loader, you will see a motor. Pull up that motor on top, put the CD from the top, then place the PVC plate again. Power ON CD player, see if it works.

Thanks Prepress! It is indeed a good suggestion. I already opened it checked and cleaned the lens. But the problem persists. I believe the
laser mechanism sliding shafts need to be greased. I made an online search and found out I need Molylube or silicon grease. Do you know where can I find them in Mumbai?

Regards
Roushon.

I put some lubricant (silicon grease) on the places where the lens mechanism slides and the player came alive and worked for 5 to 6 hours and then the same problem. Noticed one thing that while the tray goes in it makes a little jump before going in completely. Will open again and see.
By the way, I tried to find out the lens mechanism part number. Not sure where to look for. Found a number on the PCB attached to the side of the lens. Also I have the service manual there a number is attached to the
`Mecha loader and Traverse'. Is this the right number?

Thanks and Regards
Roushon

Thanks for the tip and picture below! It worked! :yahoo:
Getting the cover back on is hard to do!

Thanks again!

Rich

Hi rraghuram,

I had the same problem in my PM 5003 player after some 3 months of use, which was purchased from Singapore.

I also tried cleaning the lens but the problem was not solved, then I opened the CDP and sensed that the the ribbon cable connecting the CDP lens to the PCB was not connected properly, it had a play in it. So I tightened the same and the problem was solved.

But some time later after a month, the same problem occurred again, and this time I again found that there was play in the cable , so I removed the cable completely and fixed it by interchanging the ends. Since then the player has not had any problems.

My advise is that if it is under warranty don't open the cover, or inform the dealer before you do it.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali.

(Note : See picture below the cable is the one having a blue band on it)

I have Marantz CD5004 around 15 months old and suddenly started showing No disc and ERROR, Tried lense cleaning manually as well as with lense cleaner but no help. Then consulted my friend who is running a service shop near my house who examined the set and found that the problem is with the lense unit mechanism, he replaced it in front of me and the set is working fine now.If you are staying in suburbs then can contact @ hi tec service centre 022-26332568

I had similar problem with my Marantz CD5400. I tried cleaning the lens and tightening cables but did not work. Then I tried adjusting a small variable pot near lens which adjusts laser strength. I did not know which way to turn. I just tried turning little bit and tested. Now it works most of the times. Once a while it still gives me error for some CDs.

hi murali, i have the same no disc problem that my friend raghu had and i've already opened the player and cleaned the lens with a fine and gentle natural hair art brush. now am keen to see that picture of the cable that you had posted and attempt your solution before i go to the technician. but the pic is not available here. do you think you can post it?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back