Help - digital input not working

vint

Hi,
I've a philips htib 3569/98 with a coaxial in. After searching a long while, I was finally able to land my hands on a optical-coaxial converter. So now I have a optical cable from my ps3 connected to the optical in of my converter and then a coaxial cable connected to the coaxial out and to the coaxial in of my philips htib. I'm selecting my input mode to DI in philips htib as well , indicating the digital input. For some reason, I'm not getting any audio output from the speakers when I've connected in this fashion.

Do let me know what I'm doing wrong ? I've taken bainridge optical and coaxial RCA cables.

Also, I've tested with 2 of such coverters and there's no output in either of the cases , so I doubt if this is the culprit. Please advice on how to proceed guys !

My this device in nonworking condition.
Pls.check @ friends place.
Check output from PS3, if it is unscaled say 96kz, philips may not read it.

In addition to selecting the digital in on your HTIB, you may also need to set the Digital Out on your PS3. I am not an expert on PS3, but it may be something as simple as that.

Cheers

My this device in nonworking condition.
Pls.check @ friends place.

how do i check if its unscaled or not ?

@venkatcr, i've set the output to dolby 5.1/dts 5.1 / optical in my ps3.

Also, i checked it on my x360 as well....no results :(

Hi,

I'd say more then that the culprit may be a simple issue of format ;) !!

PS3 by default will output the Audio in LPCM or PCM or Bitsream which some of the AVR's and in your case the HTIB will not read or take :) !!

Please go to the Audio menu of the PS3 and change the Digital Audio format to Raw ! Thats should take care of the issue !!

Also please check and see if you have similar selection option in the HTIB of yours where it may have options to select what type input signal that you are sending (Am not sure whether such option would exist but just a hunch ;) ) !!

Even after all this the problem persists then I guess its the converter which is messing something :p !!

Try the above and post the results here .

Regards.

Hi,

I'd say more then that the culprit may be a simple issue of format ;) !!

PS3 by default will output the Audio in LPCM or PCM or Bitsream which some of the AVR's and in your case the HTIB will not read or take :) !!

Please go to the Audio menu of the PS3 and change the Digital Audio format to Raw ! Thats should take care of the issue !!

Also please check and see if you have similar selection option in the HTIB of yours where it may have options to select what type input signal that you are sending (Am not sure whether such option would exist but just a hunch ;) ) !!

Even after all this the problem persists then I guess its the converter which is messing something :p !!

Try the above and post the results here .

Regards.

Hmmm, I did not see any option to change for raw/bitstream in PS3 audio options. Anyway, I will check all the menus again in PS3.

@spirovious, The problem is not with any specific dvd or bluray. Rather I'm not able to hear the sounds in menu traversal or when the ps3 is booting too.

I will check today night and get back....I'm not sure where to check for the bitstream/raw conversion. I see there's only one output option for choosing optical/hdmi/scart -> dolby/dts/linear pcm audio etc in PS3. And there's no such option in my HTS, there i can just choose DI. Funny thing is , when I choose DI in my HTIB, its not even giving me the option of dolby digital, it just gives the option of dolby PL II :(

Hi,

I see there's only one output option for choosing optical/hdmi/scart -> dolby/dts/linear pcm audio etc in PS3.

There you go,that is the Answer ;)!! What I meant is exactly that,when selecting the audio in PS3 don't select the LPCM (Linear PCM),Change it to either DD,DTS or Raw !! Anything but the LPCM.

And there's no such option in my HTS, there i can just choose DI.

Well if there is no such option then its automated and there's nothing that you can do bout it !

Funny thing is , when I choose DI in my HTIB, its not even giving me the option of dolby digital, it just gives the option of dolby PL II

Please do note that in any and every AVR or HTIB the digital signal is processed automatically based on the Input,So you will not get to choose Dolby Digital Manually ! If the Signal has DD or DTS the system will automatically switch to appropriate decoding option !! if there's no Signal or the Signal does not have the DD or DTS signal by default it switches to Prologic Mode ! This is the case with not only your but every and any AVR/HTIB in the entire world !!

Please do check according to what I've said above ! Btw in which part of Bangalore you from ?? If required perhaps I can pay a visit !

Regards.

hi,
i'm unable to deselect the linear pcm option from sound settings. Its always selected by default when digital optical is selected. I tried setting changing the options to bitstream in bd audio settings, but linear pcm option remains selected under digital optical and i'm still getting no sound :(

Last edited:
i'm connected through optical only, hdmi is only to the TV. There's a system update available, not updated it yet. But doubt if that'll solve the problem :(

Do one thing,try removing TV connection after setting audio,see if you get optical out?
Chance is audio is going in HDMI as TV is HDMI 1.3.

^^ Actually I've set multiple audio output to off on my PS3, and selected sound through only optical. It shouldn't be sending sound via hdmi, i checked on my TV, and I'm not getting any sound.

Here is what i would suggest:
insert an audio cd in ps3 or play some mp3.
From audio output options:
uncheck LPCM 176
uncheck LPCM 88.2
check LPCM 44.1.

from Music option
choose output frequency as 44.1/88.2/176.

Hope this helps.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back