Help for buying headphones

Raghavan sridhar

Hi guys, can u please help me in selecting a good headphone for watching movies. As i have increased my budget for my HT it will take some more time to purchase it. So in the meanwhile I'm planning to buy a good quality headphone. Main purpose is to watch movies. I have selected senheiser HD 215, 448. I'm not sure about other models. It will be good if anyone can suggest me a good headphone with awesome quality. Budget is $100. Wire should have a good length as i need to watch movies in a comfortable position. Thanks guys.

also consider sennheiser HD 280 Pro, got Cnet editors choice ratings, costs 100 USd in amazon

shure srh440 and senn HD280 should fit your budget and are good headphones..

if you can increase youre budget a bit the sennheiser 518 is a very good one, it retails for around 130USD...

i got my Grado sr80i for 99USD and im in love with them!!

These are open-backed as opposed to ones suggested above and definitely sound diff. While ppl say not everyone appreciates this sound(owing to leakage which disturbs oders in same room and few other reasons) im totally in love with it!

just to put things in perspective for you, 2 days back i was watching BR rip of 'we need to talk about kevin' (movie considered to have made gud use of the BGM than dialogues by few) and in one particular scene i turned around and was looking at the open door which is right behind me where i sit. then i realised it was BGM and replayed the scene and i was convinced that it wasnt any noise from outside where construction work is going on.

Part of the reason for my headset performance could be because of my soundcard but with my sansa they sound very gud for music! So do some research n finalise.

All the best with your endeavours!! :)

@ varunjh

Thanks man. But hd 518 costs $179 which is too high for my budget...:):):)...Have u heard in hd 218pro. Is it advisable to get tat piece. any review in tat..??

hey where are you checking the headphone prices?
Sennheiser HD518 / HeadRoom Audio

also the grados are brilliant headphones but i wouldnt really recommend them for movies, well actually depends on your own taste. i love my grados, but if they're gonna be used for movies and gaming you could do better.

about the HD218...they have been replaced by the HD219s now, also if your primary usage is gonna be at home and that too for movies around the ear headphones[full sized] will definitely be better than on the ear designs like the 218.

These are open-backed as opposed to ones suggested above and definitely sound diff. While ppl say not everyone appreciates this sound(owing to leakage which disturbs oders in same room and few other reasons) im totally in love with it!

Open- or closed-back is even more fundamental than hatchback or sedan when buying a car! People should make this a number-one question when buying headphones.

People tell me that there are essential sonic differences between open and closed, but, for me, it comes down to something even more basic than how they sound: I find the isolating effect of closed-back headphones claustrophobic and unpleasant. It is what has put me off headphones for most of my life, because I'd only heard closed-backs! I want to be able to hear the phone, the doorbell, the wife...

On the other hand, of course, if you want to listen to music while somebody else in the family watches TV, or if you want a portable set for commuting/flying/trains/etc, then isolation is a requirement, and closed-back the natural choice.

I check it in amazon.com.. So u telling me to go ahead wid hd 218 rite..??...

no i meant that you can do better than the HD218s in the price range.
the link in my previous update has the HD518 for around $130...otherwise as i had mentioned previously the shure 440s or take a look at the senn HD448s they'll do a better job than the HD218s..

i was also about suggest ATH M50(solely based on my research, my case was Ath m50 vs sr80i n i settled for 80i, one due to budget and also wanted 2 try open-back)

@Thad E Ginathom

Well Gentleman I find you have some good knowledge in headphones which of course i lack. So I believe you can help me in selecting some good headphones. Budget is $100. Main usage is for movies. I don't know the difference b/w closed or open. Im going to watch movies in my room when no one is around me. Even if someone hears what i listen that's not going to affect me. But the quality should be good. So can you please tell me few headphones which will satisfy my needs. I can understand headphones are subjective but still i seek a help from you. Thanks for your time mate. Cheers.

Aim: watching movies and listening to songs (sometimes).. Not for sports,jogging etc etc.. I don't care about looks size etc etc. Quality quality quality that's my only concern.

The delivered bass,treble should not be more or less. It should be as it is intended to be by the music director or director of the movie, songs.

no i meant that you can do better than the HD218s in the price range.
the link in my previous update has the HD518 for around $130...otherwise as i had mentioned previously the shure 440s or take a look at the senn HD448s they'll do a better job than the HD218s..

Hd 448 is a wonderful piece i suppose. same price as hd 280. So i must compare hd 280 vs hd 448 now. Thanks man. :):)

Raghavan sridhar, If you are in Mumbai, try to visit Pristine Note. You could check out various hps and decide.

If you are looking for an open, spacious sound, nothing better than open backed headphones like Thad E Ginathom said. You can look at Senn Hd 55, Audio technica Ad700, Grado Sr80i.

But if you dont want your sound to leak out, get a closed can.

Shure SRH440. Retailing for 89usd currently. I own these and these offer a very nice vfm. Could fit in your budget well.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back