Help for DIY Sub(s) in Chennai

Mayank Shah

Dear FM's,

Please help / guide me in a DIY project for 2 x 10" subs - mainly for music and they will be connected to my NAD's Pre-out 1 & 2.

I have read a lot of fascinating posts about DIY subs, but they are too technical for me.

I do not have the luxury of time to hire a carpenter. Need guidance on where to get ready made DIY kits.

Is it wishful thinking to be able to build 2 x 10" down firing subs under 50K?

Maybe a kickass 12" sub instead of 2 x 10".

Many thanks in advance.

There is no such thing as a 'kickass' sub ! Maybe just indicates the inability to describe it properly ?
All subs follow the laws of physics ! Sealed, ducted , in a big room , small room, near the wall, away from the wall , size of driver, driver parameters etc.

If you mean a 'loud' sub that goes deep , then you should say so. Kickass for one is different from the kickass for another. Depends on how big the 'ass' is ! :)

Try to describe it the proper way if possible. It's would be easier to understand what exactly you want !

check out:
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/60378-finally-found-right-subwoofer-killer-price.html

looking at your previous posts - you have the Polk RTI's - why do you want a sub ?

what do you hope to achieve ?

where is the current setup lagging ?

if for music - then look at sealed subs - but they wont give you the slam of a ported sub.

sealed subs are easier to make.

Contact Gunbir Sidhu in Delhi - he can make a subwoofer for you if you dont wish to make one with your own hands. He is the distributor for Seas in Delhi.

You may need to set aside about 50k for 1 good sealed subwoofer - IMO

The idea of the sub - is to provide a foundation for music - and if overdone - can kill the music.

If you are in Chennai - contact sandeep nair from audire for JL Audio subwoofers - they have launched a new budget friendly series. They have a good reputation for subwoofers.

regards

'Kickass" was meant to be a figure of speech. Apparently it gives a different meaning and apologize as I do not know how to speak language from the "Third Rock":sad:

I am quite happy with the RTi A7. Ever since I had an opportunity to have the Dali E12F for a few hours, I have been very impressed and blown away with how it enhances the listening pleasure. Not into movies, but I played a few and my children were very excited and raised a very rare sign of appreciation from the wife.

Many thanks to all for their posts, shall be contacting them for more info.

If you are in Chennai - contact sandeep nair from audire for JL Audio subwoofers - they have launched a new budget friendly series. They have a good reputation for subwoofers.regards

Hello, I did contact Sandeep Nair, but his starting range is 99K:sad:. Will be looking into the other options. Thanks.

hi

please do listen to the JL audios.. and touch and feel it and i think you will have a good idea what a good subwoofer should be like.

else rythmik audio has a dealer in Mumbai who can make the rythmik 12 inch sub for you. I would estimate that it would be in the range of 75k - near abouts.

aha.... there is a system audio sub SA200 on sale in the for sale section - please consider that as well. Its in Mumbai contact FM Bhagwan

regards

Likewise-what lingo is spoken in "Third Rock" anyway ? On topic, contact diyaudiocart for Dayton subwoofer drivers, which are good value for money. Bijin is a useful guy to discuss your needs with, and he can suggest options.

Likewise-what lingo is spoken in "Third Rock" anyway ? On topic, contact diyaudiocart for Dayton subwoofer drivers, which are good value for money. Bijin is a useful guy to discuss your needs with, and he can suggest options.

I do not agree that purchasing Dayton Audio from diyaudiocart is a good value for money as i just yesterday brought Dayton Audio Aluminium Dome Tweeters from Snap Deal almost 17% lesser value after considering taxes and shipment. Also available with Amazon.in at 20% less price than Bijin. Even if diyaudiocart gives tax free or zero shipping charges the rates are still higher than atleast 20% available elsewhere. Checkout yourself.

I am not sure if he updates his website regularly for the rates.

as i just yesterday brought Dayton Audio Aluminium Dome Tweeters from Snap Deal almost 17% lesser value after considering taxes and shipment. Also available with Amazon.in at 20% less price than Bijin. Even if diyaudiocart gives tax free or zero shipping charges the rates are still higher than atleast 20% available elsewhere. Checkout yourself.
Checked snapdeal & amazon.in. Could not find them. Can you please post links to these?

@ Mayank

mpw himself has build a DIY sub recently, check with him if he wishes to build one for you.

Check out the post in this link http://www.hifivision.com/diy/57800-bargain-hunters-subwoofer.html

@Mayank

Hari Iyer - Krypton Audio manufactures speakers for commercial basis and i dont.

Maybe he was trying to get your attention by posting a link to what i built :rolleyes:

I have already suggested earlier what i had to... based on my experience of building my sub.

I believe the Dayton Audio RSS 265 is no longer in stock nor is the Seas L26ROY.

Therefore it will be best to get 1 good sub locally from Audire - JL Audio or maybe REL. Get something with speaker level inputs as well.

The basic problem in India is the non availability of drivers and plate amp and that means its a hard climb for the DiY guy who has to battle the odds.

I got lucky with my Dayton driver ( last piece with diyaudiocart ) and Hypex plate amp which someone hand carried for me from abroad.

If you are short of funds now - then maybe later.

Good luck and happy hunting !

regards

@Mayank

The basic problem in India is the non availability of drivers and plate amp and that means its a hard climb for the DiY guy who has to battle the odds.

Drivers and plate amplifiers are available in India but without variable phase control as aware to me. If you are okay with fixed phase of 0 deg or 180 deg then they are available from 6K onwards.

Cannot find the link myself too as there stock was minimum. May be they have sold out. Anyway i received the tweeters just now.
If it's the RS28A and if a 20% discount was being offered on the diyaudiocart listed price then that's a wonderful deal - the same price as on Parts Express site. :clapping::clapping:

What other drivers were on offer? I never thought to check.

Edit: I saw this: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/day...uminum/666076278159#bcrumbSearch:dayton audio. Almost same price as diyaudiocart.

Last edited:
If it's the RS28A and if a 20% discount was being offered on the diyaudiocart listed price then that's a wonderful deal - the same price as on Parts Express site. :clapping::clapping:

What other drivers were on offer? I never thought to check.

Edit: I saw this: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/day...uminum/666076278159#bcrumbSearch:dayton audio. Almost same price as diyaudiocart.

It was purchased from this link directly by my customer and shipped to my address to be precise,

Dayton Audio Reference Series Aluminum Tweeter RS28A-4: Amazon.in: Electronics

All inclusive price (taxes + shipment) is Rs.4380/-.

Its shipped from a supplier at Bhiwandi, Thane.

It was purchased from this link directly by my customer and shipped to my address to be precise,

Dayton Audio Reference Series Aluminum Tweeter RS28A-4: Amazon.in: Electronics

All inclusive price (taxes + shipment) is Rs.4380/-.

Its shipped from a supplier at Bhiwandi, Thane.

In that case, I don't understand this:
Even if diyaudiocart gives tax free or zero shipping charges the rates are still higher than atleast 20% available elsewhere.
DIYAUDIOCART's price is 4,441. Assuming they [diyaudiocart] don't charge tax and don't charge for shipping like you assume in your statement, this price is 1.4% more than what your customer paid. Where did the 17% and 20% come from? What am I missing here? I'm going to blame this on the heat in Mumbai. :D

Drivers and plate amplifiers are available in India but without variable phase control as aware to me. If you are okay with fixed phase of 0 deg or 180 deg then they are available from 6K onwards.

drivers - are you talking about the ones on Lamingtion road etc.. - the ones you use in your TL speakers ? ;)

Plate amps - i was referring to the ones with phase control. For serious home audio - this is a must.

regards

Back