Help guys LED TV From Bangkok confusion

rohveer

Hello everybody.This is my first post on this forum.I am from Mumbai.

After reading a lot on this and other forums I have decided it would be very foolish of me if I did not get a LED TV from Bangkok when i intend to go in May, 2014.

I have decided to get Samsung 3D HD Smart led TV UE40F6400.

I want to know the actual current price of this model in Bangkok.

Also, in some posts it is mentioned
1) that the customs people will take the current indian value of LED, say 80000( Vijay sales price). Then deduct 30 % which is 24000 which comes to 56000, then subtract 35000 from 56000 which comes to 21000, then charge 36.05% on 21000 which comes to 7571. (chalo, theek hai)

OR
2) That the customs people will take the current indian value of LED, say 80000( Vijay sales price). Then deduct Rs.35000 from Rs80000 which comes
to 45000 and charge 36.05% on it which comes to Rs.16223
http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/sad.gif (bilkul theek nahi hai)
OR
3) That the customs people will check bill of Bangkok seller, convert into Indian rupees, lets say 25000THB Multiplied by 1.90 =Rs.47500. Then deduct 35000 from 47500=12500. Then charge 36.05% on 12500=4506. http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/clapping.gif (sub kuchh theek hai)

I am confused. What is the actual system that the customs people are following.

I am aware of the 7% VAT which will reduce my cost further but that has nothing to do with the customs.

Any suggestion/information from somebody who has recently returned from Bangkok would be very helpful.

Thanks, guys.

Hi

Electronics are cheap in Bangkok and I have been there twice....while until last year it was a good idea to purchase LCDs, LEDs, Plasmas from abroad...the rules have changed my friend...customs at 36%...(refer to Mumbai customs website for details) + Airlines are allowed to impose SPECIAL FREIGHT charges on all LCDs, LEDs and Plasmas....next is the risk of bringining it all the way......

The most important fact which is available on the internet is that LEDs, LCDs unlike our OLD CRT TVs have a shelf life of 3-5 years.....WARRANTY plays a very crucial role here....

My advice....decide what size, what inputs, features, design, sound etc you would expect from the TV you are buying...then GO WINDOW shopping and see all possible models with Vijay Sales / Croma / E Zone / Reliance Digital......shortlist the brands or models you like....note the prices...then see the rate on snapdeal or flipkart...note those rates ,,,finally go to your local Electronics Audio / Video shop in your area and ask the price...definitely the rate will be a bit cheaper...bargain and purchase it with the same warranty...

That is what I did when I purchased the Toshiba TV......got 3 years warranty and most important cheaper than Vijay Sales.......Sharp is launching some models soon by April with extended warranty....why don't you check those

Hope this helps

Guys,I am still waiting.
I want information from somebody who has recently bought a LED TV FROM Bangkok.
Thanks, guys.

Hi Tanmay, I read your post and also aware about duty rules. Which is the running model of sony 40" which i can brough from bangkok? I am looking for basic HD tv or smart tv.. not looking for 3d tv. I think 40R452 is selling quite good... please suggest.
I am going to visit bangkok in 2nd week of april.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm not sure man! Kinda stopped following TVs after I bought mine last June!

Folks, please help Ashu here...

Tanmayj,

I don't think rules have changed since you brought your tv from Bangkok.

I take this opportunity to thank you for typing your first post at 3.00 am
on arrival.

Thanks,

There is no point in bringing LED tv from Bangkok as the landed price will be more or less equal to price in Mumbai.:sad:

Thanks again.

But Sony 40R452 still looks ok. Say It cost 12000 Baht in Bangkok.

Cost 12000 Baht
Refund 840 Baht
Duty 4320 Baht
Final Price 15480
Converted to Indian Price: 29412
The same model is selling in Chroma for 55K or in the online stores it is 50k.

Is it good?

Last edited:
OK, Ashu. You are right. BUT what will customs calculate price on? The Thai price or Indian price ? If Indian Price , then Rs.19828 (36.05% OF RS 55000)
will be added to 12000-Vat 840 =THB11160 or Rs.21204 which is equal to 41032/-OK, Rs.9000 Cheaper offline and Rs.14000 cheaper offline.

Which brings me back to my first question. How do the customs people calculate? I wish some customs guy was a member of this forum !

Ashu Bro, I am going in May, 2014. Your feedback will be very important
for me as you are going in April.

Yes, There is no waranty, My friend is custom officer, he said they calculate on Thai price. 100% can be calculate on basis of 7% vat refund or photocopy of bill would help.
I am planning visit in 2 nd week, lets see how it goes..

Yes, There is no waranty, My friend is custom officer, he said they calculate on Thai price. 100% can be calculate on basis of 7% vat refund or photocopy of bill would help.
I am planning visit in 2 nd week, lets see how it goes..

In my case they didn't calculate on Thai price. They just waved my bill aside, took out an Indian catalog and calculated based on that price.

+1 to tanmayj.

They'll calculate based on the Indian price that too MRP. You'll end up paying more or less same cost and w/o warranty.
In my view, not a good idea to bring from abroad. I would suggest you look for somebody who works in SAMSUNG and see if they can get you the 25% employee discount on MRP.

Siva

In my case they didn't calculate on Thai price. They just waved my bill aside, took out an Indian catalog and calculated based on that price.

BTW this is the case with TVs only. Indian customs doesn't have price list of AVRs. With AVRs they will rely on your bill.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back