Help in choosing a 40" LCD

cjsarora

Hi friends!
I just joined here today and have been reading the previous posts. Just would like you all to help me with finalising a 40incher. Things that I am considering:-

- A budget of 45 to 50K
- I am planning an LCD rather than a LED (Guide me if I am wrong)
- Should I buy a TV that plays more formats or should I leave that job to the DVD player?
- Checked out Samsung D550 (43K) and a SonyBX420(49K). Haven't checked any other brand. Feel free to suggest other brands/models
- Above all, your valuable suggestions/tips are most welcome

Pls guide

Thanks @echo77

I have called up the nearby Vijay Sales outlet and they have the model you suggested in stock with them. Will go and check the same

Kindly enlighten me whether the Toshiba model you suggested is an LCD or a LED one. The sales guy was saying its a LED. IF so, why is so much cheaper than the Sony or Samsung models I listed?

Any ideas guys?

Hi friends!
I just joined here today and have been reading the previous posts. Just would like you all to help me with finalising a 40incher. Things that I am considering:-

- A budget of 45 to 50K
- I am planning an LCD rather than a LED (Guide me if I am wrong)
- Should I buy a TV that plays more formats or should I leave that job to the DVD player?
- Checked out Samsung D550 (43K) and a SonyBX420(49K). Haven't checked any other brand. Feel free to suggest other brands/models
- Above all, your valuable suggestions/tips are most welcome

Pls guide

Well to date all the D550 models that i have seen and the info i hear is that all get a CMO panel.
Not sure of the panel present in the BX420 but i would atleast go with a CX520 lcd which has a SPVA panel guaranteed and has a better image processing then the BX420.

If it the samsung get atleast a D5000 since it has the better AMVA still inferior to the SPVA,but not a deal breaker imo.

Tx @Adder

So going by your recommendation, I would rather focus on a Sony CX520 vis-a-vis a Samsung D5000 and the Toshiba recommended earlier? Any other models to look out for??

Is it ok comparing an LCD with an LED?

Well to date all the D550 models that i have seen and the info i hear is that all get a CMO panel.
Not sure of the panel present in the BX420 but i would atleast go with a CX520 lcd which has a SPVA panel guaranteed and has a better image processing then the BX420.

If it the samsung get atleast a D5000 since it has the better AMVA still inferior to the SPVA,but not a deal breaker imo.

@adder
checked the sony website and found the cx520 is a 46incher at 73k mrp! i think its more than the guys "cjsarora" budget! but there is a 40nx520 for 58k mrp which may fall into @cjsarora price bracket after discount!but does this model come with a spva panel?

hope this helps?

As pointed out by @Andre, the CX520 is indeed a 46inch model. Besides the budget, I dont have the space to install a 46 inch one

@Adder, is the 40CX420 in the same league as the 46CX520? does it have the same panel?

Pls guide

@cjsarora

i too am in the same boat as you.almost same budget and size.i was initially looking at the samsung 43d490 which is a plasma. if by chance my parents reject a plasma then i have to look for either a lcd or a led tv within the price range of 55k!

@hifians
any help to us noobs:lol: will be greatly appreciated!

@adder-- Boss, Can you guide as to how can we check the panel specs?
Couldnt find anything on the SONY WEBSITE

Hey guys... Samsung is showing a new model 40D503 which is newer as compared to D550. Any comments regarding the specs of that model?

Also if I move to LED, how would you rate a 40D5003BR or a UA40D5000PRMXL. Both of these slightly above my budget. If I stretch myself, would it by of any advantage going in for either of these or is it better sticking to the Sony CX series?

To check the panel go ask for the remote from the sales person and during standby mode ,press the following buttons in the remote i(Info) ,5 , vol+ ,Power .You will now get the service menu look for following LTY40 or LTU40 or LTA40,if its a 46" sony or a 32" sony look for LTY/LTU/LTA46 or LTY/LTU/LTA32

For eg in a 32EX520 sony with a X-reality processor you will find the below info in the service menu,look for the one in bold thats the panel info ,if you find LTY/LTU/LTA its a SPVA panel.

DM1.061GAA
WF1.002W00AA
DF1.430W00AA
YM1.002W00AA
M4.000C
(DM1.061GAA)
DD1.013W00AA
PK1.007W00AA
MID:1D95E855
PID:05080000
PNL:LTY320HN0102

Tx @Adder

So going by your recommendation, I would rather focus on a Sony CX520 vis-a-vis a Samsung D5000 and the Toshiba recommended earlier? Any other models to look out for??

Is it ok comparing an LCD with an LED?

Well i see now that Sony has discontiued the CX520 40" version in india which has the superior X-reality processor and instead has given us the CX420 which has the inferior BE3 processor but can play more formats via USB.

Hey guys... Samsung is showing a new model 40D503 which is newer as compared to D550. Any comments regarding the specs of that model?

Also if I move to LED, how would you rate a 40D5003BR or a UA40D5000PRMXL. Both of these slightly above my budget. If I stretch myself, would it by of any advantage going in for either of these or is it better sticking to the Sony CX series?

Well i haven't seen these models 5003 and D503 to check the panel in samsung ,follow this link http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...eed-samsung-spva-sq01-panel-2.html#post248709

@adder
checked the sony website and found the cx520 is a 46incher at 73k mrp! i think its more than the guys "cjsarora" budget! but there is a 40nx520 for 58k mrp which may fall into @cjsarora price bracket after discount!but does this model come with a spva panel?

hope this helps?

No idea about the panel found in NX520 but it should also mostly be a SPVA,but it has the BE3 which is slightly inferior in upscaling and deinterlacing department .Its also prone to more reflections.

Incase one decides to buy a sony its better to buy it in the grey market,sure you don't get that 1 year warranty but its a whole lot cheaper.A 40CX520 costs around 39k and 40EX520 costs around 49k.

Last edited:
@Adder--Any comments on the Samsung D5000PRMXL??? Can it be compared to the Sony models?

I know I am going way off the topic, but can i consider a Panasonic Viera TH-P42U30D? Its a plasma but a 42incher for around 42K...really tempting.

Wat do you suggest?

@Adder--Any comments on the Samsung D5000PRMXL??? Can it be compared to the Sony models?

I know I am going way off the topic, but can i consider a Panasonic Viera TH-P42U30D? Its a plasma but a 42incher for around 42K...really tempting.

Wat do you suggest?

The D5000 is a good tv it has the AMVA panel which isn't bad but neverthless inferior to SPVA panel,but not a deal breaker.

If you are considering the plasma you need to have your lighting conditions sorted out both natural and artificial light,since the low end models like these just wash out if the light is hitting the screen from the front or front sides of the tv.
If your area has lots of power cuts and if you use a inverter/UPS then a plasma again won't be helping since it consumes as much as 3 times more then a LED-lcd like the D5000.

@Adder --tx a ton

I am now going out with a shortlist
- Samsung D5000/D5500 (lets see wat discount i can wrangle)
- Sony EX520/CX520(if still available) or a CX420
- Toshiba 40PS10ZE
- and the Panasonic P42U30D (As per the Panasonic website, only 2 plain plasma non 3D models are being offered of which U30 is the better version and the X30 is the lower end. Lets see how it stacks up against the rest)

Will go out on the Dussehra day and do the complete research. Have noted down the pointers given by you regarding checking the panel.

Any other models that can be added to this shortlist, pls do write

@Adder --tx a ton

I am now going out with a shortlist
- Samsung D5000/D5500 (lets see wat discount i can wrangle)
- Sony EX520/CX520(if still available) or a CX420
- Toshiba 40PS10ZE
- and the Panasonic P42U30D (As per the Panasonic website, only 2 plain plasma non 3D models are being offered of which U30 is the better version and the X30 is the lower end. Lets see how it stacks up against the rest)

There was a sample picture and video posted of the toshiba model, which in my opinion is very good for that price. In stores I am also impressed with it. It is a LED TV hence power consumption will be the lowest. Minus points will be lack of a brand image of sony or samsung and lack of service in some areas. If you can address these weak points, it is really value for money.

IMO, sony TVs are priced higher for the performance. Advantages of sony are brand image and impeccable service.

Samsung has no particular defect to point out but they are the stylish ones.

In the case of plasmas the week points are already listed by adder. The X30 series is HD ready and the U30 is full HD. There is not much other difference between these two. If you are interested in plasma you may consider samsung 43D450 and 43D490 (3D) both are HD ready.

So have demo of these models at different shops to the extent possible and choose a set which found to have good PQ in your opinion. One point to remember is that LED is the brightest of the lot and plasma is the least bright. Keep this in mind while watching in a shop. At home if you prefer to watch in a fairly or highly lighted room plasma will be a big no.

Last edited:
@god2007 --- I second your views on Sony and Samsung.

I have a few Sony products where even after getting them serviced from the Sony Authorised Service centre and paying a bomb, i couldnt get them to stay working for a long time.The premium they charge is not only upfront but in service/spares also.
Most of the devices in my home incl the current TV are Samsung and I am pretty satisfied with the performance as well as service
Toshiba, I haven't seen and am definitely looking forward to check it out. Since I am in Delhi, service should not be an issue.

I read out a lot of threads and just got the feeling that plasma perform better except for the lighting issues. I am going to put the TV in the bedroom where mostly the viewing is going to be in evenings with one tubelight for light. Only on holidays I am going to watch it during the days and one complete wall on the left of the tv is glass window, but i have curtains there. Will plasma work well in this kind of setup?

After spending almost 4 hours visiting 7 shops and comparing all the models in the list, here is the synopsis of my days work

Toshiba 40PS10 - Couldnt see at all. All shops said they will provide the model if I want to buy it but none had it for demo. (Price 44K)

Sony LCD CX520 - Still available at almost all shops including Sony world though off the website - (best price 56K if I give away the Sony Clock Radio)
Has the LT panel. Checked
Has X-reality engine
Has Internet
Doesnt play mkv, and couldnt play some of my mp4 files

Sony C420 - Same as above but with BE3 engine and without internet
(Price 49K)

Samsung LED D5000 - (Best price 54K)
Played each and every single format I had on my portable drive beautifully

So, I guess I need to toss up between the CX520 and the D5000

Guys - Any suggestions/comparisons between these two?
Your views are going to help me finalise. I am 50-50 right now

CX520 is a SONY but doesnt play all the file formats and is really bulky.
D5000 is an LED, so is Superthin and plays all the files I carried without any complaints and as per my wife has better looks.
Picture quality, atleast in the showrooms looked equally gud in both
So pls guide

Last edited:
No response guys????

@adder, @god2007, @echo --- Guys I am depending on you guys to make the final decision. Do guide

Rgds

No response guys????

@adder, @god2007, @echo --- Guys I am depending on you guys to make the final decision. Do guide

Rgds

Sorry, I can't help you for the time being. All the shop people are now in a holiday mood after the super heavy onam sales, and the stocks are depleted. So any visit to shops can be done only after one or two seeks.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back