Help in choosing a 5.1 setup

nubinstanley

Hi All

I am planning to buy a 5.1 system. I'll talk a little about my needs and also about the research I have done so far. :)

Requirements :

1) Budget <= 250000 (I don't plan on putting any more money into the system in the near future. Maybe add 2 height channels after a while)
2) My TV is setup in my living room, which is pretty large (~30 x 14). The only option is to have the TV parallel to the shorter walls and so, the sofa will not have a wall behind it. (planning to setup the surrounds on stands)
3) I do listen to music, but the the primary use would be for movies.
4) I would prefer to keep most of the speakers from the same brand (not an absolute necessity).

After some research, this is finally what I had decided (kinda) :

AVR : Denon AVR-X3600H

Speakers
: All from Q Acoustics

R/L : 3050i
C : 3090Ci
S L/R : 3020i
SW : QB12

Final points:

1) I read very good reviews about the 3050i and they look nice as well. The other options I had considered : Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 (6.2 is a lil more expensive), Fyne Audio F302/303 etc.
2) I also read very good reviews about the Q Acoustics 5.1 Cinema pack as a whole (except for the 3060S SW). The Fyne audio center speaker (at least the one that came in their 5.1 pack) did not have very good reviews and that is where I took Fyne off the list. Keeping in mind requirement 4 :p , I decided on the Q Acoustics pack.
3) I decided to swap out the 3010i (that came in the pack) with 3020i for the surround.
4) Subwoofer - This is where I am most confused. The QB12 looks solid and have good review (very few though). It is sealed (and huge!) and I am wondering if I should get a ported one as my living room is pretty big. I was considering the SVS PB1000 and from what I read, even though it is ported, it is pretty good for music as well. As in, it is pretty tight and accurate ? (Though I am still inclined towards the QB12 for the aesthetics and also since it does have good reviews; and again - requirement 4).
5) The lowest offer I have right now (for the above pack including AVR) is 235000. Decent ?

Due to the covid situation, I am finding it difficult to find a place to try out the speakers. I have a visit lined up for this Saturday. Lets see how it goes.

I have pretty decent ears. :p But I would not describe myself as a full fledged audiophile. So, if the AVR/speaker set I have mentioned above are pretty good in this budget, and if the alternatives would not make a hell lotta difference, I would just like to go ahead make the purchase. :) Please give suggestions. :)

Hi All

I am planning to buy a 5.1 system. I'll talk a little about my needs and also about the research I have done so far. :)

Requirements :

1) Budget <= 250000 (I don't plan on putting any more money into the system in the near future. Maybe add 2 height channels after a while)
2) My TV is setup in my living room, which is pretty large (~30 x 14). The only option is to have the TV parallel to the shorter walls and so, the sofa will not have a wall behind it. (planning to setup the surrounds on stands)
3) I do listen to music, but the the primary use would be for movies.
4) I would prefer to keep most of the speakers from the same brand (not an absolute necessity).

Speakers
: All from Q Acoustics

R/L : 3050i
C : 3090Ci
S L/R : 3020i
SW : QB12

Final points:

1) I read very good reviews about the 3050i and they look nice as well. The other options I had considered : Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 (6.2 is a lil more expensive), Fyne Audio F302/303 etc.
2) I also read very good reviews about the Q Acoustics 5.1 Cinema pack as a whole (except for the 3060S SW). The Fyne audio center speaker (at least the one that came in their 5.1 pack) did not have very good reviews and that is where I took Fyne off the list. Keeping in mind requirement 4 :p , I decided on the Q Acoustics pack.
3) I decided to swap out the 3010i (that came in the pack) with 3020i for the surround.
4) Subwoofer - This is where I am most confused. The QB12 looks solid and have good review (very few though). It is sealed (and huge!) and I am wondering if I should get a ported one as my living room is pretty big. I was considering the SVS PB1000 and from what I read, even though it is ported, it is pretty good for music as well. As in, it is pretty tight and accurate ? (Though I am still inclined towards the QB12 for the aesthetics and also since it does have good reviews; and again - requirement 4).
5) The lowest offer I have right now (for the above pack including AVR) is 235000. Decent ?

Due to the covid situation, I am finding it difficult to find a place to try out the speakers. I have a visit lined up for this Saturday. Lets see how it goes.

I have pretty decent ears. :p But I would not describe myself as a full fledged audiophile. So, if the AVR/speaker set I have mentioned above are pretty good in this budget, and if the alternatives would not make a hell lotta difference, I would just like to go ahead make the purchase. :) Please give suggestions. :)
If you are interested in the pb1000 have a look at xtz 10.17 which I am selling. It’s more powerful then pb1000 and overall a very good performing sub for its price and provides a lot of sound tuning options

I am planning to buy a 5.1 system.

If you are looking for 5.1 set-up, then this AVR 3600 is expensive.. It is a 11.2 AVR, capable of doing 7.2.4 set-up..

Do you intend to purchase the AVR now and slowly add speakers?.. If you are not looking beyond 5.1.2, then a Denon x 2600 or equivalent models should do, there by significantly reducing the cost on AVR.

Upto you choose to choose whichever speakers you like (or) if you are getting a better deal. L-C-R is best if they are from same brand and series. If you can do more identical speakers all around, then even better.

If you have concrete ceiling, then look for speakers that have threaded hole inserts to mount to ceiling..

If you are looking for 5.1 set-up, then this AVR 3600 is expensive.. It is a 11.2 AVR, capable of doing 7.2.4 set-up..

Do you intend to purchase the AVR now and slowly add speakers?.. If you are not looking beyond 5.1.2, then a Denon x 2600 or equivalent models should do, there by significantly reducing the cost on AVR.

Upto you choose to choose whichever speakers you like (or) if you are getting a better deal. L-C-R is best if they are from same brand and series. If you can do more identical speakers all around, then even better.

If you have concrete ceiling, then look for speakers that have threaded hole inserts to mount to ceiling..

Hi

Thank you for the advice. :)

The plan is to future proof a little. And I would love to move to a 5.1.2/4 sometime in the future. And maybe even to a 7.1.2/4 in the long run. This was specifically why I thought I'd invest a little extra on the AVR.

I am trying to listen to these speakers. Finding it difficult to find a place to audition (trying a place tomorrow) . :( I heard very good things about the 3050i, 3090Ci combo. I was hoping someone with experience with these would comment. Of course, I am open to suggestions for other speakers if, for the same budget, I can get a better experience. This is also where the QB12s come in. Did read that it merges well with the 3050i pack and can go as low as 20Hz (even though rated for 28).

This would be my first big investment on audio equipment and, to be frank, no matter what it is in my budget, it would be a humongous upgrade for me from the Sony 2.1s I currently own. :)

As of now, ceiling/wall mounting is not an option for me. Stands are the only option for the surrounds.

The plan is to future proof a little. And I would love to move to a 5.1.2/4 sometime in the future. And maybe even to a 7.1.2/4 in the long run. This was specifically why I thought I'd invest a little extra on the AVR.

Great. Makes a good choice then.

I am trying to listen to these speakers. Finding it difficult to find a place to audition (trying a place tomorrow) . :( I heard very good things about the 3050i, 3090Ci combo. I was hoping someone with experience with these would comment. Of course, I am open to suggestions for other speakers if, for the same budget, I can get a better experience. This is also where the QB12s come in. Did read that it merges well with the 3050i pack and can go as low as 20Hz (even though rated for 28).

Choose a speaker from what you have auditioned so far. Try to take time and give few auditions. I know it is tough during the lockdown days.

This would be my first big investment on audio equipment and, to be frank, no matter what it is in my budget, it would be a humongous upgrade for me from the Sony 2.1s I currently own. :)

True.

As of now, ceiling/wall mounting is not an option for me. Stands are the only option for the surrounds.

Ok. I was referring to the height speakers, which need to be placed above the listening position..

@nubinstanley Oops i had written a reply where did that vanish. I am using a similar setup with Concept 20 as Front LR, 3020i as the Surround LR and 3090i as my Center. I use a woofer from my older HT which is a 8 inch woofer. I use this setup with Denon X2600H and for movies i find it to be very good. The dialogue delivery is clear as compared against my Satellite based 2 other HT system centers , for action movies it more than delivers the punch and if it goes any louder my parents /wife will come in and kill me there itself.

For music i have tried with the receiver and the setup does fairly well, but would suggest to invest in an alternate stereo receiver since the imaging and dynamics change largely for the mids and highs. Hit me up for any questions you have on above setup

@nubinstanley Oops i had written a reply where did that vanish. I am using a similar setup with Concept 20 as Front LR, 3020i as the Surround LR and 3090i as my Center. I use a woofer from my older HT which is a 8 inch woofer. I use this setup with Denon X2600H and for movies i find it to be very good. The dialogue delivery is clear as compared against my Satellite based 2 other HT system centers , for action movies it more than delivers the punch and if it goes any louder my parents /wife will come in and kill me there itself.

For music i have tried with the receiver and the setup does fairly well, but would suggest to invest in an alternate stereo receiver since the imaging and dynamics change largely for the mids and highs. Hit me up for any questions you have on above setup

Hi... Thank you for the response. :) Maybe I'll drop a DM to know some specifics. :)

@nubinstanley

Disagree - A mid range receiver should yield very similar imaging and dynamics vs a separate Integrated - this is true at least for vast majority of speakers / setups that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I find a noticeable difference between the X2600H and Marantz PM6006 for my Concept 20's. The treble is slightly piercing with the Denon vs the PM6006 and the mids are much more thick with the marantz vs the X2600H.

Had two other AVR's which are relatively lower priced and the PM6006 was still better

I find a noticeable difference between the X2600H and Marantz PM6006 for my Concept 20's. The treble is slightly piercing with the Denon vs the PM6006 and the mids are much more thick with the marantz vs the X2600H.

Had two other AVR's which are relatively lower priced and the PM6006 was still better
Oh, that's because most integrated amplifiers don't aim for a flat response
Almost all Integrated amps, especially marantz (I also use a PM17-SA integrated) have a slight roll off starting around 5 khz

Now your AVR too aims for something similar - but rather than having the rolloff on the analog stage like an integrated, it does it on the pre-amp digital processing stage (look up the target curve for your Denon)

However, if you engage the direct mode, the processing is disabled and the result is a flatter response than what your ears expect (and like) i.e. without a roll at the high frequencies which is perceived as shrillness...
There are easy ways to solve for it if one is so inclined

Anyway, Integrateds have their own joy - plus the fact that a good Integrated Amp will easily last you decades
Plus the SnR and crosstalk will typically be better than most AVRs
However the point i was trying to make is that there seems to be a widespread perception in the audio community that AVRs and stereo don't go together - which is not the case

However the point i was trying to make is that there seems to be a widespread perception in the audio community that AVRs and stereo don't go together - which is not the case

Would agree with you. After having a Pioneer SA 740 and a Kenwood KA 5050 integrated amp which is still lying around, the Marantz SR 8200 6.1 receiver which I had sounded sweeter , musical and better than both the integrated amps imho.
The roll off of the highs with the Marantz worked for me.

@superczar

"if you engage the direct mode" -> sorry for being a noob. :) What exactly does this mean ? [EDIT] : Figured out this part. :)

"There are easy ways to solve for it if one is so inclined" -> Any articles where I can read more on this ? :D

@All

Anyone else who has tried the Q Acoustics ? :)

@superczar

"if you engage the direct mode" -> sorry for being a noob. :) What exactly does this mean ? [EDIT] : Figured out this part. :)

"There are easy ways to solve for it if one is so inclined" -> Any articles where I can read more on this ? :D

@All

Anyone else who has tried the Q Acoustics ? :)
A lot of happy and satisfied users for q acoustics. You can very well go for it.

I got to listen to the exact system I had listed. :) It was great. Now its a matter of getting the things in stock.

A few questions :

1) Wires : 14 AWG or 16 AWG? C&E OFC or AmazonBasics OFC?
2) Was planning to add a carpet between the TV and the sofa. Will something like this be OK (fluffy I guess)?
3) Need stands for the surround speakers. How about this?
4) Will single AmazonBasics RCA cable suffice for the woofer?
5) Banana plugs or will directly connecting using wires suffice? Plugs might be better as moving/re arranging (even if done rarely once set up) will be easier?

Last edited:
I got to listen to the exact system I had listed. :) It was great. Now its a matter of getting the things in stock.

A few questions :

1) Wires : 14 AWG or 16 AWG? C&E OFC or AmazonBasics OFC?
2) Was planning to add a carpet between the TV and the sofa. Will something like this be OK (fluffy I guess)?
3) Need stands for the surround speakers. How about this?
4) Will single AmazonBasics RCA cable suffice for the woofer?
5) Banana plugs or will directly connecting using wires suffice? Plugs might be better as moving/re arranging (even if done rarely once set up) will be easier?
I used C&E.Few commented that amazon basics is not pure OFC. Better u go for C&E. Banana plugs wil be very convenient so go for it

I used C&E.Few commented that amazon basics is not pure OFC. Better u go for C&E. Banana plugs wil be very convenient so go for it

OK. 14/16 AWG? (BTW, have heard very good reviews about AmazonBasics OFCs, at least, on non-Indian YouTube channels - Maybe not ao good here?)

Any opinion on the stands?

Also, does the kind of carpet matter? More importantly, if I get those fluffy types, will it end up having a negative effect on the sound - thats all I need to know. :D I just thought that the fluffy kind would prevent reflections better?

OK. 14/16 AWG? (BTW, have heard very good reviews about AmazonBasics OFCs, at least, on non-Indian YouTube channels - Maybe not ao good here?)

Any opinion on the stands?

Also, does the kind of carpet matter? More importantly, if I get those fluffy types, will it end up having a negative effect on the sound - thats all I need to know. :D I just thought that the fluffy kind would prevent reflections better?
Yeah those stands are good enough for surround speakers. Regarding the carpet it’s tough to comment cause every room has its own acoustic character and sounds different. You will have to experiment

Yeah those stands are good enough for surround speakers. Regarding the carpet it’s tough to comment cause every room has its own acoustic character and sounds different. You will have to experiment

I have a hard floor. So adding a carpet would only benefit I suppose? At least to prevent reflections from the LCRs?

If yes, my doubt was if the kind of carpet matters. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back