help me building a home theater room

akash.samrat

Hi,
I want to build a separate room for my home theater where I can play games, watch movies, lesion songs .its my dream and I want all you guys out there help fulfill it.
These are the components or feature I want in it and detail of my room.

MY BUDGET WILL BE SOME WERE AROUND 6 TO 8 LAKHS (excluding room, couch and lights) just for all the components.

DIMENSIONS OF MY ROOM ARE: - 26 FT DEEP, 16 FT WIDE AND 10 FT HEIGHT

1. I want this theater to be sound proof so that I can fill like theater.
2. I want movies to be played by projector which should be 3D &FULL HD.
3. I want a fixed screen of some were around 135" to 150" inch diagonally.
4. Video & audio is what I want so do keep that in mind.
5. I want nice 7.1 setup of speakers (floor standing, center, book self, surround &sub woofer)
6. I want you to you choose A/v receiver, amplifier, cables to meet the requirement.

Ya i have told you whatever I need but you can suggest me anything left or overkill its unto you.
One more thing I need a good installer of the entire component, may be I can hire on a turnkey basis whatever .please help me if you have any idea regarding this.

THANKS
:):):):):):):)

Last edited:
That's a very good sized room. If you plan carefully, you can do a wonderful setup as far as audio is concerned. Video is not that complicated to achieve, comparatively.

Now, you need to tell us few things -
  • What screen size you are targeting?
  • What is seating distance?
  • How many seating rows? I think you can do 2 or 3.
  • Are you open to do Acoustically transparent screen?
  • Is it possible to build a sub-structure, around 1.5 to 2 ft below ceiling and mount sub-woofers there? That will give you unlimited sub-woofer placement possibilities.
  • Do you have any issues with interior being black? Or at least few feet in the front, towards the screen?

Hello akash.Samrat !
It is a perfect size for a HT, mine is also of the same size, I would rather suggest you to get as many as auditions and by visiting to HT stores and by viewing different projectors you can get a idea to decide the projector.
personal preference would be different rather then hearing suggestion from others.

Thank you,
Murali.

5. I want nice 7.1 setup of speakers (floor standing, center, book self, surround &sub woofer)

Make that 7.2.

The room size is good. Is the plan to have one setup play both audio and video or go for separates i.e. a dedicated HT setup and another for the stereo.

You can go higher (in terms of budget) with a single unit but performance will be lacking somewhat for music (if you plan to listen to a lot of music). If its occasional music listening then a combo unit would serve your purpose very nicely.

Also, spend a part of that budget for room acoustics, it will deliver more bang per buck in terms of performance.

That's a very good sized room. If you plan carefully, you can do a wonderful setup as far as audio is concerned. Video is not that complicated to achieve, comparatively.

Now, you need to tell us few things -
  • What screen size you are targeting?
  • What is seating distance?
  • How many seating rows? I think you can do 2 or 3.
  • Are you open to do Acoustically transparent screen?
  • Is it possible to build a sub-structure, around 1.5 to 2 ft below ceiling and mount sub-woofers there? That will give you unlimited sub-woofer placement possibilities.
  • Do you have any issues with interior being black? Or at least few feet in the front, towards the screen?
Hi,
manoj.p
1.screen size of some were around 135" to 150" inch diagonally.
2.seating distance i don't know i haven't build it yet its just a room i can do whatever you recommend as per my room size i have mentioned .
3.1st rows of 3 and second row of 4 seats will be good i guess.
4.ya i am vary much open to Acoustically transparent screen.
5.ya it is possible to build a sub-structure, around 1.5 to 2 ft below ceiling because i haven't done with the false ceiling yet.
6.not at all no issues with interior being black or whatever i just want result.

i am vary thankful to you and all the others for taking interest in my project i am confidant it will be a awesome project .
and thanks manoj.p, i hope i have ans all your que.

Last edited:
Hello akash.Samrat !
It is a perfect size for a HT, mine is also of the same size, I would rather suggest you to get as many as auditions and by visiting to HT stores and by viewing different projectors you can get a idea to decide the projector.
personal preference would be different rather then hearing suggestion from others.

Thank you,
Murali.
thanks mdharan ,
can you tell me some of the good HT stores in india where i can get some nice equipment .

In coimbatore there are 3 or more demo HT stores with projection rooms, they are dealing with all kinds of HT materials, I think forum members will help in this regard for searching a good demo room in and around Patna.

i agree,think forum members will help in this regard for searching a good demo room in and around Patna.
27.gif

Its not like ht store will be there in Patna then only i can audition them i use to travel a lot i have a flat in Delhi and Bangalore also so i have options.tell me in Delhi or Bangalore?

hay guys i came across some people who take those kind of project on turnkey basis .will that be a good idea.any one here who does that kind of stuff ?

I recently did the whole interiors, acoustics and screen for my dedicate HT room myself with the help from my carpenters and electrician. Used the AnuTone materials. The total cost including labor and materials came to around 2.2L. This excludes the cost for electronics and civil work for the room and flooring.

When I asked for turnkey solution for similar acoustics treatment and interiors including screen, I was quoted more than double the cost I actually spent. Turnkey is good if you don't have time to dedicate and have lots of money to spare :).

I finished the entire project in 1 week with 3 carpenters working full time and 1 electrician.

You can check out my build thread here - http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

Thanks,
John.

Hi,
manoj.p
1.screen size of some were around 135" to 150" inch diagonally.
2.seating distance i don't know i haven't build it yet its just a room i can do whatever you recommend as per my room size i have mentioned .
3.1st rows of 3 and second row of 4 seats will be good i guess.
4.ya i am vary much open to Acoustically transparent screen.
5.ya it is possible to build a sub-structure, around 1.5 to 2 ft below ceiling because i haven't done with the false ceiling yet.
6.not at all no issues with interior being black or whatever i just want result.

i am vary thankful to you and all the others for taking interest in my project i am confidant it will be a awesome project .
and thanks manoj.p, i hope i have ans all your que.
Akash,

Good to get that out. Now, first thing you need to do is good planning, with proper treatment, placement and setup, this room will give you tremendous experience.

First thing I would then suggest is going the route of Acoustic transparent screen. It will allow you to use 3 identical speakers as your left, center, right and you can then place those with tweeters at correct ear height. Your front soundstage will be seamless this way. All the area around the speakers on front wall can then be covered with atleast 6 to 8" of acoustic treatment with some air gap. This treatment will absorb all the surround sound reflections off the front wall. You will get crystal clear front sound stage. When you put this treatment, make sure that it lines up with front face of speakers (baffle). If you choose the speakers with ports then choose with ports on the front.

Once you have this front wall done, then comes the part of installing the screen. You need to create a fake wall with wood frames infront of the front wall. Make sure the wall is sturdy enough to hold the screen weight. You can use the weave type acoustic transparent material and the cheapest is Seymoreav. Contact him and see if he is able to ship to India. Put black velvet mask around the screen and then cover rest of the screen wall with black speaker cloth. That will allow the sound to go through.

The acoustic transparent screen has the biggest benefit in the way that nobody sees the speakers. That means no bias about how those will sound, no idea where those speakers are. That allows you to realizing the front sound imaging purely based on what you hear and not what you see. You have made speakers disappear in the room for your viewers. :p Offcourse, the front now looks very clean with nothing but the screen, thats an extra advantage.

Cover all the walls (including ceiling and floor) at least front 5 feet from the screen with black velvet. There will be no reflection of the light back at the screen. The picture will have tremendous contrast this way. Nothing like just the image floating in the air and sound stage behind it. These covering need not have to be permanent. You can staple the velvet to the wood frames and then mount these to wall like a picture frame. These are very light weight.

Now, you may want to do some treatment for reflections of the speakers. Reflections are actually good - if they are same on both sides, meaning symmetrical. So, we want to keep the reflection of left speaker from left wall. But the reflection of left speaker from right wall is not good and we want to absorb it. With you in the listening position, have a friend take a mirror and walk along right wall. when you the reflection of left speaker in the mirror, mark that position on wall. Do the same on left wall, and look for reflection of right speaker, mark the position. You should then put some absorbers, 4 inch + thick, 4 ft wide at these places. No more muddied sound imaging.

to be continued...

Thanks,naturelover i really appreciate your work its vary good ,i have these kind of HT at my friends place.so i can say the kind of work done by you is really good.

I want nice 7.1 setup of speakers (floor standing, center, book self, surround &sub woofer)
Rather than using a mish-mash of horizontal centre, tall floorstanders and small bookshelf speakers, you'd be better off getting 7 of the same speaker for consistent sound all around.

You don't want the sound to change as it moves from speaker to speaker, especially in the crirical front soundstage.

Since you'll be using subs to handle the low frequencies, bookshelf speakers can be used at all 7 locations.

Akash,

Good to get that out. Now, first thing you need to do is good planning, with proper treatment, placement and setup, this room will give you tremendous experience.

First thing I would then suggest is going the route of Acoustic transparent screen. It will allow you to use 3 identical speakers as your left, center, right and you can then place those with tweeters at correct ear height. Your front soundstage will be seamless this way. All the area around the speakers on front wall can then be covered with atleast 6 to 8" of acoustic treatment with some air gap. This treatment will absorb all the surround sound reflections off the front wall. You will get crystal clear front sound stage. When you put this treatment, make sure that it lines up with front face of speakers (baffle). If you choose the speakers with ports then choose with ports on the front.

Once you have this front wall done, then comes the part of installing the screen. You need to create a fake wall with wood frames infront of the front wall. Make sure the wall is sturdy enough to hold the screen weight. You can use the weave type acoustic transparent material and the cheapest is Seymoreav. Contact him and see if he is able to ship to India. Put black velvet mask around the screen and then cover rest of the screen wall with black speaker cloth. That will allow the sound to go through.

The acoustic transparent screen has the biggest benefit in the way that nobody sees the speakers. That means no bias about how those will sound, no idea where those speakers are. That allows you to realizing the front sound imaging purely based on what you hear and not what you see. You have made speakers disappear in the room for your viewers. :p Offcourse, the front now looks very clean with nothing but the screen, thats an extra advantage.

Cover all the walls (including ceiling and floor) at least front 5 feet from the screen with black velvet. There will be no reflection of the light back at the screen. The picture will have tremendous contrast this way. Nothing like just the image floating in the air and sound stage behind it. These covering need not have to be permanent. You can staple the velvet to the wood frames and then mount these to wall like a picture frame. These are very light weight.

Now, you may want to do some treatment for reflections of the speakers. Reflections are actually good - if they are same on both sides, meaning symmetrical. So, we want to keep the reflection of left speaker from left wall. But the reflection of left speaker from right wall is not good and we want to absorb it. With you in the listening position, have a friend take a mirror and walk along right wall. when you the reflection of left speaker in the mirror, mark that position on wall. Do the same on left wall, and look for reflection of right speaker, mark the position. You should then put some absorbers, 4 inch + thick, 4 ft wide at these places. No more muddied sound imaging.

to be continued...
ya i got it vary nice .i have read all your points and i feel it will be relay nice to have the speakers back of the screen.
hay manoj please tell me what all equipment i will need and please if you can recommend me all the equipment like if you have build it what have you purchased :) that will be vary helpful to me i will get the idea of my build.for acoustic treatment of my room where should i contact in delhi ?

Well, I can't really choose the equipment for you or recommend something to you because certain things are ones own choices. :) But since you asked what equipment I would buy if I were to do my room, then here goes.

If I am looking at speakers, I would probably go for JBL LSR 308. I am not sure if these are available in India, but you can try and see if audition is available. I would choose these as front 3 and if budget is not a concern then for surrounds as well. These are active monitors so, will need power plugs where those will be mounted. The LSR 305 will match nicely as surrounds.

Another thing - If I were to do such a room, I would go with 9.1 or 11.1 setup with DTS Neo:x. Receiver wise it will be Denon 4520. Has 11 channels, Neo X, Audyssy XT32 and all 11 channel pre-out for active speakers. Granted, a pre/pro will be better but those are very expensive. A Marrantz 8801 is mostly Denon 4520 without amplifier.

Having said that, I think you should gather more info about how you would like to do the room and start auditioning. You will get more insight during the process. Speaker choosing is quite personal so you need to buy what you like the most.

About acoustic treatment, its nothing but HVAC insulation wrapped with cloth. Most people have used fiberglass, rock wool and even woodwool. You can find threads about these here and other av forums. I do not know much about local vendors in India though.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back