Help me choose 5.1 home theater system within 65000

apramdasi

Hi Members,

I'm Ajay from Pune, and i'm looking to invest in my first HT system. My room size is 15 * 10. Can the enlightened ones please help me choose the best system within a budget of 65 k. My usage will be 70% movies and 30% music.

I'm currently looking at the following options:
1. Yamaha YHT-299 HTIB - 38 k
2. Yamaha 377 + BA Soundware S - ~ 65 k
3. Yamaha 377 + Wharfedale Moviestar 100 DCP - 62 k
4. Denon X500 + Polk Audio RM 6750 - 62 k

I have auditioned #2 & #4. But looking at the review for the Wharfedale systems, I am leaning towards finalizing option #3.

Is the Yamaha 299 HTIB any good as compared to seperate AV and Speaker packages ?

It would be great if I can get some help in choosing from the above / analyzing other options within this budget.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Ajay,

I am looking at purchasing a home theatre in the same price range. Please suggest places in Pune where I can audition the same?

Hi Members,

I'm Ajay from Pune, and i'm looking to invest in my first HT system. My room size is 15 * 10. Can the enlightened ones please help me choose the best system within a budget of 65 k. My usage will be 70% movies and 30% music.

I'm currently looking at the following options:
1. Yamaha YHT-299 HTIB - 38 k
2. Yamaha 377 + BA Soundware S - ~ 65 k
3. Yamaha 377 + Wharfedale Moviestar 100 DCP - 62 k
4. Denon X500 + Polk Audio RM 6750 - 62 k

I have auditioned #2 & #4. But looking at the review for the Wharfedale systems, I am leaning towards finalizing option #3.

Is the Yamaha 299 HTIB any good as compared to seperate AV and Speaker packages ?

It would be great if I can get some help in choosing from the above / analyzing other options within this budget.

Thanks in anticipation.
The denon + polk package is very good but i personally find the subwoofer not up to the mark. I was quoted 22k for denon x500 and 28k for rm6750. I was about to buy the denon + polk package and then replace the subwoofer with the polk psw110 subwoofer. But finally settled for tsx110 bookshelf,tsx 150c and subwoofer psw110. total came to 73k with denon x500. I dont like the way the boston soundware s looks. but i have heard them and are very capable. Out of all the packages i would go for ba soundware s as it has a 10inch subwoofer too.

@abhimanyuk : I got a demo at Soundscape in Aundh. What options have you checked out till now, any idea where we can get a demo of Wharfedale Moviestar 100 HCP in Pune? I've heard a lot of great things about those ones'.

@rayvonnee : Thanks for your advice. I'm actually trying to go for a full speaker package instead of choosing seperates. What are your thoughts on the Wharfedale? AV MAX has heaped praises on that one!

I have not heard the wharfedale. However I feel that at your budget you can go even above the wharfedale package. The wharfedale has full range driver, whereas the BA and Polk have 2-way i.e separate tweeter and mid-range. I personally feel that you can look at the other speakers. However If you are auditioning them and you like them more than the others you can buy them as you will be finally using them and its all about whether you are satisfied as a listener. There is no point of buying something you dislike and then regret. Wishing you good luck on your purchase

I have not heard the wharfedale. However I feel that at your budget you can go even above the wharfedale package. The wharfedale has full range driver, whereas the BA and Polk have 2-way i.e separate tweeter and mid-range. I personally feel that you can look at the other speakers. However If you are auditioning them and you like them more than the others you can buy them as you will be finally using them and its all about whether you are satisfied as a listener. There is no point of buying something you dislike and then regret. Wishing you good luck on your purchase

Can you please elaborate on the full range driver vs 2-way, I'm not familiar with this concept.

My problem is that its very hard to find an audition for Warfedale in Pune :sad:, so its hard to compare them with the other speakers. Whats swayed my opinion towards them was the brilliant reviews that it has received within this price range.

What other speakers do you suggest?

If BA is possible to audition please audition A2310HTS which will be a very good one. Full-range speakers have a single driver which handles the higher as well as mid bass but a proper 2-way system has two drivers one for highs(tweeter) and mid-bass(mid-range). I prefer a proper two way system.
To get more details on this google it and you will find much more details.

@ Apramdasi : I will surely check out the Soundscape store at Aundh. I checked out the following stores :
Sound Factor (on east street in camp) : In this budget this only had 2 speakers of JBL
AV Excellence (at Dhole Patil road) : They had a great set of Energy speakers (45,000 )
JBL store at Phoenix mall, Viman nagar : new (updated store but very poor sales staff in terms of explaining and general interaction

I am keen on going for the Yamaha 377 amp.

Hi apramdasi

With the kind of budget in hand, I am sure you will be able to pick a decent system. The main thing is for you to audition as many systems as possible before taking a decision. Everyone is different in terms of taste of loud / soft music...want it bassy or light or want specific features with the AVR etc. etc.

Decide first if you want Satellite or bookshelf or tower speakers in the room...Reliance Digital is selling the Jamo S426 HTS 5.0 speaker set for 27k odd....it works well on Marantz / Yamaha AVRs...check it out.

BA soundware is good VFM...works well in a room size upto 250 sq ft...I have been using the same over a year and have no complaints whatsoever.....music / movies / games never sounded so great and clear....the woofer is very punchy and delivers the required performance....

If possible, come over to Mumbai and audition some systems at the many HT dealers we have around... I am sure then you will be able to decide appropriately...with the festive season around the corner, I am sure there would be some good deals / discounts available...all the best

Had a demo of Energy RC Micro 5.1 today. Really good sound. But a bit over the budget with cost of 48k.

In comparison to Wharfedale MS-100, I was also suggested to consider that it is single driver against 2 way driver for the Energy setup.

I'm confused whether the 2 way setup is really going to make things much better for movie watching, and if it is, is it really worth the extra ~14k - can someone please comment on this?

Hello,
@ Soundscapes in Aundh they have Polk Tl1600 package which I heard and found good (I own TL25 series). Check it out

@ Cinebels in Aundh - they had Jamo package (Sorry I forgot the price) which you can check it out.

With my limited knowledge 2 way will be better than full range (atleast theoretically)

Cheers

for my choice i would suggest
Sony HT-M55 Home

images

Theater sounds awesome...
LG BH7540T Home Theater,
zoom.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused whether the 2 way setup is really going to make things much better for movie watching, and if it is, is it really worth the extra ~14k - can someone please comment on this?

It is very easy to explain why 2 way speakers are better than full range drivers. Compared to satellite speakers, bookshelf speakers will play better music!

Music is mostly 2 channel, which means your front two speakers will be taking up most of the music duties (along with the subwoofer).

(your AVR can simulate a surround sound from 2 channel source using Dolby technologies, but that will be synthetic and you will feel it)

So if you enjoy listening to good music, consider something like a Boston Acoustics A2310 for 40k (http://www.hifimart.com/package-dea...ome-theater-speaker-package-black-finish.html)
It is composed of 4 Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers + centre + woofer

I am not sure you will get to audition it in Pune. But if you are up for it, you can hop to Mumbai in a Sunday and audition it

But if you like the music playback from the Energy Micro, then you shouldn't bother too much about 2 way vs. full range. It is finally your system. You decide according to your ears

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back