Help me Choose a Speaker - For a Stereo Setup

idthiru

Hello FMs,

I am in the works to set up a stereo home audio just for music. Most FMs want me to start with speakers. So give me options please.

I know you will ask me for a budget. I am sure i need the best sound experience but not sure how much it is going to cost.

If I can categorize the budget as Low, Medium and High, I could afford a Medium. But please give me options for Medium and Low budget categories.

I also have plans to go for an integrated amplifier + DAC based on the speakers i choose.

I live in the U.S. And I did some search in this forum, not having the patience to find what i wanted - particularly the speakers. :(

Appreciate your replies.
thanks,
Thiru

thiru,

the USA is a fine country to be in as far as audio gear goes. But you need a to put some number to your budget and then go on to audiogon.com or audioasylumtrader.com.. check the options and then come back here ( if you like ) and ask opinions. That way opinions are offered on a narrowed choice else things can go off on a tangent quickly.

good luck !!

mpw

I will summarize what our forum suggests for a stereo speaker setup:

1. Dali Zensor 5 / 7
2. Q Acoustics 2050i
3. Monitor Audio BX5
4. Tannoy MERCURY V4i
5. Tannoy Revolution DC6T
6. Boston Acoustics A 360
7. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3

All are floor standing speakers not in a particular order. If i miss any our forum members anyhow will suggest.

Cheers,

Hello FMs,

I am in the works to set up a stereo home audio just for music. Most FMs want me to start with speakers. So give me options please.

OK Trying to keep the thread focused.
I did research and found a Wharfadale WA S2. WA-S2 | Sound Solutions

But it is classified as a surround speaker, can it be a good fit for a stereo system?

If you can educate me based on what parameters should i choose a speaker, it will help me to narrow down a speaker to do an audition.

To make it easier FMs, I give an example. I researched 3 Floor standers from Boston Acoustics. See the attachment, pls help me understand what does the parameters mean (yes in layman's terms) and which params and what value should i consider to choose a best speaker.

BostonAcoustics.jpg

thanks,
thiru

Last edited:
PARAMETERS ARE SOMETIMES MISLEADING. TRUST YOUR EARS. IN A STEREO SET UP, A SPEAKER MUST BE OPEN SOUNDING, GOOD SOUND STAGE, SHARP FOCUS, DRY BASS(BOOMING SPEAKERS LEAD TO FATIGUE). These qualities can only be evaluated through auditions for at least 2-3 occasions. Preferably ask the dealer to arrange the audition in your home set up. Different set up can create havoc to the sound reproduction. Please value your own taste. Don't take an audiofile's review for granted. After all its you who will be listening to the speakers!!

Thanks, More POVs please!!

OK Trying to keep the thread focused.
I did research and found a Wharfadale WA S2. WA-S2 | Sound Solutions

But it is classified as a surround speaker, can it be a good fit for a stereo system?

If you can educate me based on what parameters should i choose a speaker, it will help me to narrow down a speaker to do an audition.

To make it easier FMs, I give an example. I researched 3 Floor standers from Boston Acoustics. See the attachment, pls help me understand what does the parameters mean (yes in layman's terms) and which params and what value should i consider to choose a best speaker.

View attachment 15273

thanks,
thiru

I'm in the US too. I am selling off two if my systems. I have a pair if Proac Supertowers in the upgraded teak. They have newer mid bass drivers and are in wonderful condition. I also have the matching Studio 1's. They are the teak stand version. I'm selling both sets along with a couple if Onix integrateds and an NAD integrated and a Rotel TT with van den Hul MM1. Just let me know if you want to find out more. Good luck.

I'm in the US too. I am selling off two if my systems. I have a pair if Proac Supertowers in the upgraded teak. They have newer mid bass drivers and are in wonderful condition. I also have the matching Studio 1's. They are the teak stand version. I'm selling both sets along with a couple if Onix integrateds and an NAD integrated and a Rotel TT with van den Hul MM1. Just let me know if you want to find out more. Good luck.

Hi ctsooner, not able to PM you. See if you can PM ur email to me that way I shall stay in touch. BTW which part of US are you in. I am in Ft Worth TX.

thanks,
thiru

Well, it's a tricky question about recommending speakers to others. It's like imposing my own taste on to you. So, I would stick to mostly providing guidance rather than suggesting brands. I prefer speakers that are flat and accurate - not many people like that in speakers. But these will give presentation as the source. Ideally, you would need full range speakers. I would recommend speakers with at least 10" woofers. Smaller mid range drivers may be full range, but they will not give the bass impact as big woofers. Also, big speakers will sound big and spacious, rather than tiny and thin. If you tell us more about your room, how you intend to place them, how far is your listening position then we can suggest some more.

So the best advice is - look for suggestions here, listen to speakers and then buy. Try to listen to speakers in your friends home preferably - if you have option like that.
I live in the U.S. And I did some search in this forum, not having the patience to find what i wanted - particularly the speakers. :(
Here I can give some advice. Have patience. The right speakers will come across to you. If you don't have patience, then get some cheap but good speakers to quench your patience. Get some infinity primus speakers P363 or P163. These go on sale at Frys for $99 and $49 respectively quite often. These will help you listen to music and you won't be in a rush to get the right speaker.

continuing from your PM to me

i cant help if i dont know the following

1. speaker purchase in the US or in INdia ?
2. Budget - we require a finite number and how far you are willing to go
FOr me entry level would start at 40000 INR and that would get you a bookshelf
3.The guy offering you ProAc speakers should be considered . they are quite good

Yes these proacs r crazy good. Only available because I upgraded to Vandersteen Treos and Ayre amps with Basis TT with Heed phono and top Audioquest all around. It's a significant upgrade for me so I'm selling off all my Onix integrateds speakers and MIT top cabke

1. speaker purchase in the US or in INdia ?
2. Budget - we require a finite number and how far you are willing to go
FOr me entry level would start at 40000 INR and that would get you a bookshelf

Purchase in US. Please let me know what i can get for $500 budget (200 for speakers 300 for amp 100 for DAC since my source is going to be a laptp or ipod) (I understand i need to put some numbers to start with). i am open for used components as well. I will take the guidance to do an audition seriously before buying but to ask for audition - what? I need to narrow down to some products. That is what i am seeking this forum for now.

3.The guy offering you ProAc speakers should be considered . they are quite good

thanks. I will get in touch with him.

thanks for offering to guide me.
-thiru

heres my advice

300 $ speaker
NHT classic series or the SB seies
celestian 3

400$
Bohlender-Graebener Z-1
PSB's
a couple other are there too that i like
but do you wanna go there ? this range i mean )

Amp
A marantz 50rms /channel or a NAD 326 at minimum
look in the used market

DAC
i feel the EMU 4040 usb is the best VFM budget dac for laptop computer audio
PERIOD

if not this the V dac is a good choice
im sure you can get them used

Audiogon will give you good deals on used equipment
so will ebay

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back