Help me decide between Videocon DTH & Dish India DTH.

mitware

ok, first of all I am in Mumbai - Kandivali and have recently got a LG Smart TV from US (NTSC/60Hz Signal), I hooked up the TV with my DVD Player and everything is working fine. Now I am planning a get a new Digital cable connection. Land line connection (i.e. without DTH) in our building is only provided by In-Mumbai which whose signal is in 50Hz. So I am now planning to buy a HD STB (with DVR a must) and believe that I have following choices in 60 Hz signal:

- Videocon DTH - Overall heard decent reviews about them but they have stopped selling the DVR STB directly. DVR STB (cap - 500 GB) is available through some Agents. Cost is around Rs 7000.

- Dish India - No Experience - No reviews. Cost is around Rs 4000 but no built-in HDD, I will have to hook up a HDD or Pendrive if I want to record anything.

Airtel, Tata Sky gets ruled out as they don't have 60 hz digital signal from their STB (confirmed with their customer support).

Given above facts, which DTH provider I should go through? Please Help!

Donno bout others but I am unable to reply due to lack of knowledge. what exactly is this 60Hz signal u r talking about?

It's NTSC Signal which Tata Sky does not support. I need opinion as to which is better between Videocon and Dish India (and maybe Airtel).

According to me, you should go with Videocon. Tata Sky HD-PVR box is around 5.5-6K and package extra, monthly plans are also expensive than Videocon. In Videocon, there is no HD access fee and you are all set with their premium package but in TS you have to pay 1200/- annual to access the HD channels WHICH ARE IN YOUR BASE PACK, not others. If we compare the channels; Videocon has more channels (SD and HD both) than other service providers. So better if you find any dealer/broker to buy Videocon.

It's NTSC Signal which Tata Sky does not support. I need opinion as to which is better between Videocon and Dish India (and maybe Airtel).

Thanks for clarifying. I must say am surprised to read that Tsky doesn't support NTSC!! Did anyone else here know about this ?

I had called Tata sky customer service two times and both times they confirmed that they don't support NTSC and that I need to buy special converter which will convert PAL signal to NTSC.

I had called Tata sky customer service two times and both times they confirmed that they don't support NTSC and that I need to buy special converter which will convert PAL signal to NTSC.

I think Videocon supports NTSC. Able to recall some discussion regarding this but don't remember that thread now. Videocon has more number of HD channels and works out cheaper than TS and Airtel. Also audio output can be processed through HDMI for 5.1 sound.

AFAIK, You can use all the service providers as long as you are using HDMI cable.
With HDMI cable, you don't need to worry whether it is NTSC or PAL.

Souce: I can play NTSC/PAL games in my Xbox when connected to TV through HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!

I finally selected Videocon D2H and so far so good. Excellent Picture Quality, Sound Quality and works well with my TV. Best is their 3D channel. Amazing!!!!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back