Help me in budget 55 inch or 65 inch purchase

srinath6

Hello hello,

I am looking for a decent budget led tv purchase 55-65 inch size range (inr <60k)

Requirements it should satisfy - A) pure 10 bit tv (no dithering or frc), B) native hdr, C) memc

TVs I researched so far are

1. Tcl C8 - turn down cos it's 8 bit panel
2. vu premium 2020 tv - 8 bit panel and issues related to motion smoothening and jittering

Now I am Considering mi tv 4x 65 inch
As its 10 bit panel, hdr 10, ips panel and memc for Motionflow support

Any Mi 4x owner would support my decision? Do we have any other tv that meet my requirements?

Tia!

Hello hello,

I am looking for a decent budget led tv purchase 55-65 inch size range (inr <60k)

Requirements it should satisfy - A) pure 10 bit tv (no dithering or frc), B) native hdr, C) memc

2. vu premium 2020 tv - 8 bit panel and issues related to motion smoothening and jittering

Any Mi 4x owner would support my decision? Do we have any other tv that meet my requirements?

Tia!
Hi Srinath,

I am also in similar situation like you but strictly need only 55inch TV (not 65). I will try to put my views. Also, please provide your budget so its easy to suggest accordingly.

I personally feel there is nothing wrong with 8 bit panel. If the TV supports WCG with the help of 8bit+FRC you should be fine. There is a very little difference you will feel between 8-bit with WCG and a 10-bit panel.

My thoughts on the TVs you shortlisted. In the same order of preference.

1.) TCL C8 - This TV has VA Panel and supports WCG (8bit+FRC), covers 90% of DCI-P3 colour gamut, MEMC, supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ which is very rare. Supports Dolby Atmos as well. Has 350nits brightness. This TV is the best budget TV right now with most features you require for the years to come. Also, i think TCL provides 3 year warranty free (not sure though) need to check this in TCL store. Though few people complained about service issues, i feel you being in chennai you should not have much issues with it. I suggest you to have a look at the TV in the TCL store nearby.

2.) Vu Premium - I almost decided on this TV as this seems the best TV in this price range (around 30K). Though 8bit panel, it is feature packed with Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Audio, VA Panel, 400 nits brightness. But they did not provide details of the color gamut supported by the TV. Let me know from where did you find issues related to motion smoothening and jittering. Also, let me know where it is possible to have a demo of this TV in chennai as i am also located in Chennai (Ambattur).

3.) MI TV 4x 65inch- This TV does not support dolby vision,dolby atmos. It supports only HDR10. Though this TV has 10-bit panel it is IPS type sourced from LG. If you look in to LG top of the line Nanocell TVs even they have poor contrast ratio and poor blacks. So this being budget TV and with a IPS panel from LG i think it will also have poor contrast and black levels. Though i dont own this TV, I have watched this TV in MI store and in my friends house. It did not impress me. It also supports only 88% of NTSC color gamut. NTSC in itself is a very old color gamut designed only for CRT TVs (not even HDTVs forget 4K). So there is no use of having a 10-bit panel when it supports only less colors. Also, the brightness is also not impressive either compared to the other two TVs. But still i suggest you to have a look at it on a nearby MI store to decide. But MI have better after sales support similar to Vu.

Look in to the below for the details regarding color gamuts if you are not already aware.

As per my opinion VA panel is better than IPS. U need an IPS panel only if your are going to view the TV off angle. Else, VA panel is better.
Also, suggest you to consider TVs with dolby vision or HDR10+ support to be future proof. Many OTT services like Prime video/Netflix support Dolby Vision/HDR10+ titles. The difference between Dolby vision and regular HDR is clearly visible to the naked eye. Other OTT providers will follow soon.

I personally advise to try and have a demo of all these TVs then decide. Don't go by 8-bit or 10-bit panel just by checking the specs alone. Coverage of color gamut is what it matters most.

If you not in a rush on purchasing a new TV immediately, i suggest you to wait a few months since Realme is bringing QLED TV either this month or next month (depending upon COVID-19 sitation). Also, Xiaomi will also bring 5 Pro QLED TVs (with support for HDR10+) in a couple months as its already announced in china. Both these TVs should be cheap compared to the mainstream TV brands like Sony/LG/Samsung.

Last edited:
Hi Kecha,

Noted! Think I mentioned about my budget – its < INR 60,000 and my usage is on OTT platform.

On TCL C8: I was combing all YouTube videos (surprisingly I see lot of videos posted by Pak Youtubers but literally nothing from our fellow tech youtubers), posts and review.

No doubt on paper this is one of the best with farfield, Dolby Vision, Onkyo speakers this is complete package. I personally visited TCL store in mogappair, and shopkeeper allowed to test its various feature. I really dunno whether it’s an issue with their internet speed - I am unable to notch up the TV resolution to 4K some of the 1080P Videos I played on the TV was bit grainy (it was unusual for a new TV) and audio was not in sync with the videos that I played. I am pretty sure testing condition was not favorable to judge the TV - also I was not in a hurry to book it anyway. However, your perspective sounds valid - I will keep this product in my radar. Once this lockdown situation comes to an end planning to visit the store again

On Vu premium: I did book Vu Premium and due to lockdown; my order was put onhold and eventually they cancelled it. Why I need to drop this from my list is based on the below feedback by one of the user and I quote

"... Motion blur and picture jittery is too much and kills all the enjoyment and undermine all other qualities of this tv.. too much irritating ..even small movement in picture jittery is there...VU should have done something on that front.. feeling sad that I choose to buy this TV without actually seeing it physically on any local dealers..."

This is a deal breaker as this issue complements to TV lack in embedded MEMC chip. Personally, I used to watch Formula 1 racing and a comment from this user certainly not reassuring and I need to sacrifice something big

Timeline: I recently moved to a new apartment and my new TV cabinet is now an expensive mobile charge holder. I am gauging myself as bit impulsive to buy a TV right now and once this lockdown situation over at least willing to wait week or two if not months

Hello hello,

Tia!
Answer is in one word...... higher the nits (brightness) it will support HDR+ , HDR 10 & Dolby vision, automatically display panel with 10/12 bits only play this. If you strictly want budget than Mi is best but budget is not problem than better go for Samsung Qled because Qled is Samsung patent technology borrow by others like OnePlus......but Samsung Qled is still best in every respect that you will face after sales.

Answer is in one word...... higher the nits (brightness) it will support HDR+ , HDR 10 & Dolby vision, automatically display panel with 10/12 bits only play this. If you strictly want budget than Mi is best but budget is not problem than better go for Samsung Qled because Qled is Samsung patent technology borrow by others like OnePlus......but Samsung Qled is still best in every respect that you will face after sales.
Given that economic situation looks bleak don't want to invest a fortune. Just looking for bang for the buck

Thanks for your input anyway

QLED is just normal LED LCD panels with quantum dot color filters, and other manufacturers also utilize quantum dots, including Sony with the triluminos, which they brought to market before Samsung. QLED also come with different specs, unlike OLED, where even the lowest tier OLED has the same panel as others, just not being driven as hard in case of LG B series to higher brightness. Lower end QLED ones have lower color gamut, such as Q60.

Hello hello,

Tia!
Why not try TCL iffalcon K3a.
It has 10 bit panel, hdr 10+, wide color gamut
I did some research and K3a looks exactly similar to tcl 5 series s525 sold in US, except the US model supports dolby vision instead of hdr 10+ and comes with roku smart tv.

Why not try TCL iffalcon K3a.
It has 10 bit panel, hdr 10+, wide color gamut
I did some research and K3a looks exactly similar to tcl 5 series s525 sold in US, except the US model supports dolby vision instead of hdr 10+ and comes with roku smart tv.
it has dithered 10 bit (which means its based on 8 bit panel) and it lacks MEMC and Dolby Vision support. Certainly not a future proof

I can vouch for Iffalcon for budget casual viewing. I used the set for 1.5 yrs before having that itch to upgrade. It's quite a nice TV if u don't compare it with another TV side by side.

Hello hello,

Tia!
Guys, wanna close loop with u all - I finally purchased TCL C8. Overall proposition TCL offered with C8 is great - thankio all for ur valuable input

Guys, wanna close loop with u all - I finally purchased TCL C8. Overall proposition TCL offered with C8 is great - thankio all for ur valuable input

That's great.. let me know your feedback on the TV.. As already mentioned, I am also looking to get a TV soon.. currently TCL C8 and OnePlus Q1 TV is in the list (dropped VU from the list)..

That's great.. let me know your feedback on the TV.. As already mentioned, I am also looking to get a TV soon.. currently TCL C8 and OnePlus Q1 TV is in the list (dropped VU from the list)..

Hi Kecha,

I went thru cord cutter route and my consumption is now only thru ott

I can certainly vouch that tv performs brilliantly well and certainly integrated onkyo soundbar is a notch above than the traditional integrated sound system. Here's my pov

Stuff I like about the tv
1. Dolby vision + hdr content video Play immaculately well.
2. Immersive sound I don't think it simulates Dolby Atmos but certainly on sound quality you will not be disappointed
3. Android tv experience is a real deal. No stuttering whatsover
4. Motion judder is handled really well with memc (esp for sports content). See that big difference with tv without memc
5. Netflix's Dolby vision / uhd content is a standout. Esp Our Planet Earth and Night On Earth documentaries
6. Farfield works good sometimes slow in processing compared to our phones
7. I feel 350 nits is just right and colors definitely pops
8. Good upscaling - I see certain news channel with 568P quality upscaled to a decent level
9. 3-side Bezel less offers good immersive experience

Stuff I fret - maybe a deal breaker for u too
1. Even thou blacks handled very well some time black light bleeding when you transition between apps.
2. Lip sync issue with Amazon prime video - this is driving me crazy. With all ott apps I use, I face lip sync issue only with Amazon prime. I tried casting from my mobile - but in vain. I have a raised a complaint with Amazon - let's see if they can fix this with an update
3. Picture setting certain degree of calibration - i prefer watching on Movie or standard so that colors don't look
Oversaturated

Personally for me pros weigh more than cons

Coming to the price: I bought it from Tcl store in mogappair, Chennai for Rs. 52k w/ 3 year warranty.
I was in a bit of a shock when they quoted 55k and later negotiated for 52k.

For 52k it offer a good package but gauge spending 18k more justify the features oneplus offers

Congratulations @srinath6 - TCL is good. Isn't Iffalcon sister brand of TCL? K3A I saw in nearby Reliance store - was fine. Just that in store you have other brighter and colorful options from Sony and Samsung and LGs, the TCL looks subpar. My brother in law has a 55in variant for last 9 months and he is extremely happy with it.

Congratulations @srinath6 - TCL is good. Isn't Iffalcon sister brand of TCL? K3A I saw in nearby Reliance store - was fine. Just that in store you have other brighter and colorful options from Sony and Samsung and LGs, the TCL looks subpar. My brother in law has a 55in variant for last 9 months and he is extremely happy with it.
K3a ticked almost all boxes but 3 thing tcl c8 won over - 1) Dolby vision 2) memc 3) 3 year warranty (at least I can say tcl Facebook pretty responsive). Bonus is onkyo sound is simply superb.
Tcl picture quality is good

TCL TV's are good but quality wise not as good as the ones that are sold in US. They have one of the worst service even in warranty/guarantee period. The problem is these TV's are not serviceable (not only TCL but many other front-line TV's like Sony, Samsung, LG...etc). As for other frontline TV's usually the service is quick as they change the board/panel or the TV itself if it is not serviceable. As for TCL if the TV does not work they will simply say they do not have the parts and will procure them as and when they are available . I was unfortunate to buy it and had a harrowing time replacing the faulty panel. It took them 3 months and advocate notice from my side to have things moving to get the panel replaced. This is my experience but probably it might be different for others.

No doubt the TV is very good but please protect your TV with a good stabilizer.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back