Help me in developing Home theater

Jsingh

Dear Friends,
I am a new entrant here and need help from all of you. I am visiting Dubai soon and wants to buy a good receiver (thinking of Onkyo SR 608/808 and projector (Optoma HD) as I feel its cheaper there. Later I will buy speakers/screen from India to complete my theatre. But I will take your advice for that too.
I am non-technical guy o pls advise accordingly. My budget for all these items is around INR 200,000.
Thanks in anticipation...

Dear friends,
I am passing thru Dubai and have around 10 hours in the city. I wish to buy a nice projector and shorlisted few option like Optoma HD 20/87 or Panasonic PT-AE4000 or Infocus IN81 or BenQW6000. Lil confused thou,I will take spontaneouse decision.
May I ask my Dubai members where to go so that I finish my objective with in that time frame.
Not to mention that price should be competetive.
I am also buying either Onkyo 608 or Denon2311 from VV sons.
I am staying at Milinium Hotel at deira.
A quick reply will be highly appreciated.
Jasbir

onkyo / denons are good receivers. take a look at the features that you want - hdmi etc and make sure that theyre there. also what sort of speakers would you want to connect to it. its not such a good idea to buy stuff in a hurry but if price is a big objective then you can revolve your system around the amp. but make sure it has the features that you require in terms of hdmi and also the required output in watts to power speakers that you may buy. you can match the speakers later

thanks afj.... any point you would like to mention over the projectors??? just in caase you have some openion on the model I mentioned....

From the choice of projectors(except optoma HD20) given by you, price is ranging in US$2000. In that price range Check these three models Projector People : Comparison Charts. From the point of reliability, service availability in India and also replacement lamp, my choice will be between Epson and Panasonic.

If the budget is in US$1000 range then look at these options Projector People : Comparison Charts

All the projectors given above are full HD. If you need 3D ready projector in your budget you may have to compromise from full HD to HD (720p) and you will have several options. One good option is Optoma HD66

Last edited:
Web Page

As adviced by some leading members, i too strongly think that among the best ways to buy a projector is to go via rating's from a leading foreign web page.

V.

Dear All, Thanks for the replies you sent, also based on my budget and other info that I got from this forum, I have finally bought Onkyo SR608 (I feel almost everyone in favour of this product specially for beginners) from VV sons @2065DH and OptomaHD20LV (LV has 2300 lumens as compared to HD20 1300) @ 4200DH.
Within 10 hours shopping spree I could not had better bargain so wish me luck that my choices will not let me down.
Now proceeding to India and eventually buy speakers and screen.
Any suggestions for speakers. I am thinking of Polk TSi range.
Jasbir

Another technical question if someone reply....
Basically Onkyo 608 has capacity of 160W@6Oh per channel...so what should be choice of speakers in the same terms....???? Is the relevant???

Another technical question if someone reply....
Basically Onkyo 608 has capacity of 160W@6Oh per channel...so what should be choice of speakers in the same terms....???? Is the relevant???

you normally match the ohms of the speakers to the amp. speakers will have a fixed ohm. generally 8 or 6. the ohms on an amp will generally be variable and will play at the ohms the speaker requires. but wattage will change. so if youre buying a speaker that plays at 8 ohms you must check the wattage of the amp that it will play at 8 ohms. normally as the ohms on the amp increases, the wattage will decrease. you must also match the wattage of the amp to the speakers. numbers dont always matter but definitely provide a reference and a starting line. you'd ideally want an amp who's watts are a little higher than that of the speakers. but a little lower doesnt matter too much. it also depends on the sensitivity of the speakers but from what i understand the range you're looking at will generally have pretty decent sensitivity.

Dear afj,
thanks.
Today I have bought polk's RTi series (yet to receive the stuff at home) RTi A7 par with CSi A6 for the front and A3 pair for back. I tested the speakers at showroom and they sound great and hope that It will do well at my place as well.
Technically Onkyo SR 608 has max 160W.channel and all speakers are above 200W. I met one Mr. Rajeev at Polk audio who had been in the team of R&D of Onida TV in the past and he helped me to explain certain terms in this business. In totality the sound was coming great so I forgot all technical details and enjoyed some music over there.
The set (including sub-PSW 125) cost me around 105K.
I will keep posting the final outcome once I get the stuff.
Jasbir

Dear afj,
thanks.
Today I have bought polk's RTi series (yet to receive the stuff at home) RTi A7 par with CSi A6 for the front and A3 pair for back. I tested the speakers at showroom and they sound great and hope that It will do well at my place as well.
Technically Onkyo SR 608 has max 160W.channel and all speakers are above 200W. I met one Mr. Rajeev at Polk audio who had been in the team of R&D of Onida TV in the past and he helped me to explain certain terms in this business. In totality the sound was coming great so I forgot all technical details and enjoyed some music over there.
The set (including sub-PSW 125) cost me around 105K.
I will keep posting the final outcome once I get the stuff.
Jasbir

Have you bought projector?

Correction : Missed your earlier post on Optoma HD20. Ignore this question

Last edited:
consider Quad , varafdel 9.5 series .

Varafdel? Is this a new brand? Has anyone done a review and are there photos and specs available?

I believe what he meant was Whaferdale 9.5

Whaferdale? Is this another new brand? I need photos and specs!!

laughin.gif

I had some issue in finding certain brands in New Delhi/Gurgaon so I finally configured my entire home theatre like this:
Sony 3D 46 inch, 16:9, matt white screen 8x6
Sony 3D blue ray 370
Onkyo SR608
Speaker: polk RTI series A7, A6 and CS200, SW-PSW125
Optoma HD20.
I am very satisfied with blue ray pic quality of projector but not so happy with RTi range of speakers. The person who sold me the set talks too high about it and assuring me that I will like it once the 'Burn-time' period is over.
Is it true that speakers give their best after sound quality only after burn out time? Honestly with movies they seem to be ok but not so good when it comes to be music.
Any comment please????
JS

I had some issue in finding certain brands in New Delhi/Gurgaon so I finally configured my entire home theatre like this:
Sony 3D blue ray 370
Onkyo SR608
Speaker: polk RTI series A7, A6 and CS200, SW-PSW125
Optoma HD20.
I am very satisfied with blue ray pic quality of projector:)yahoo:) but not so happy with RTi range of speakers:)sad:). The person who sold me the set talks too high about it and assuring me that I will like it once the 'Burn-time' period is over.
Is it true that speakers give their best after sound quality only after burn out time? Honestly with movies they seem to be ok but not so good when it comes to be music.
Any comment please????
JS

Sony 3D blue ray 370
Optoma HD20.
I am very satisfied with blue ray pic quality of projector:)yahoo:) but not so happy with RTi range of speakers:)sad:). The person who sold me the set talks too high about it and assuring me that I will like it once the 'Burn-time' period is over.
Any comment please????
JS

hello jasbir sir,

This is just my personal opinion:building a Good HT is a gradual and slow process, please don't rush with your purchases.

3D Tv is a new tech,please don't buy these Tv's which come with 3D goggles.Just wait for goggle free 3d tech tv's to arrive, Toshiba has already launched this year.

for the meantime purchase a 42 or 50 inch plasma tv which are VFM THESE DAYS, UPGRADE TO A 3D TV when time comes.

and no matter which speakers u have with AV recievers u will not get a satisfying music playback thro' them, for that u need a proper music oriented gear/equipment (search thro' Hifivision threads for the same).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back