Help Me select a TV

mudit

Please help me select a TV.

Location of TV: Corner of a Room. About 4 feet from ground on a TV table.
Viewing Distance: 15 feet, when watching from the same room (70% of the time). Approx 30 Feet when wife watches from Kitchen :)
Viewing angle: Viewing angles will not be extremes.
Usage: More than 80%, normal SD content. Possibly Tata Sky (have to take one). Possibly some HD channels. Might buy a blue ray player as well for occasional HD movies. Might hook up tablets once in a while.

Preferences: Would like to go for the biggest possible (but not bigger than 55 Inch TV). 3D not a real need. Smart TV, not a real need. Picture quality should be the best. Sound quality o.k. o.k. would be good enough. Might add a home theatre in near future.

Models on radar: Sony 46 inch W950a. Approx price: 1 Lac Rupees. Based on general analysis, I tried to find Sony 55 Inch W950a (not 950b). I might be able to get the 55 inch 950a model for approximately 1.5 Lacs.

Budget: 1.75 Lacs. ( Sony 55 w950a + extended warranty will fit in in the budget).

Experts please advice.
Is 55 inch too big for my needs?
Sony 55 W950a is a better choice over Sony 55 w950b?
Also if the recommendation is to go with Sony 55 W950a, how do I check and ensure that I am getting a fresh piece (as I know that it is a discontinued model).
Any other model/brand that you would recommend?
Do I need to buy a voltage stabliser?
Any other gyan?

Regards
Mudit

Sony W950A is a very good TV. You should also list Samsung UA55F6400ARLXL. I am not seeing any 55 inch from the Panasonic. Hence, I am not listing Panasonic TV here because for the distances you have mentioned, at least 55 inch is a must :)

Go to the nearest dealer and have a demo of both these televisions.

thanks... Is 1.5L a good price for 55w950a?

One more question...is 55 w 905a and 55 w 950a same models for dfferent regions?

Moderator Note: As a member your posts and comments must contribute and/or add value to the topic under discussion.

thanks... Is 1.5L a good price for 55w950a?

One more question...is 55 w 905a and 55 w 950a same models for dfferent regions?

AFAIK the w950a has been discontinued and instead 950b has replaced the same, i have a sony product catalogue for may 2014 which confirms the fact as w950 isnt listed in it,also w950b is priced at 164900 INR,so some aggressive bargaining may help fit it into your budget.

The W950B has poor contrast due to the IPS panel.The older W950A has a VA panel with noticeably better blacks and its also cheaper.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back