Help me setup my first ever home theatre system!

gururaj026

Hello guys,

I am Guru. It’s been a childhood dream for me to watch movies in my home with all those sound effects that are in a theatre. I think now I am ready to set up my first ever home theatre. At the beginning, I thought that with a budget of INR 50K, I can build a great sound system. There were a lot of 5.1 home theatre package systems and Dolby atmos sound bars and even many YouTube reviewers claimed to get theatrical sound effects with those. I was not satisfied with those, I will never ever believe that having one single sound bar can give 7 channel effect or a surround effect. So I further researched about sound systems and then I went into the world of AV receivers, pre outs, bookshelf speakers, towers, impedance, watts etc…so after a lot of YouTube, Forums and so on, I have decided to build my theatre set up from a 2.0 set up and add speakers and components as I go on.

I need your help in choosing the right AV receiver and speakers. The space I’m setting this up is my living room – 14*14 ft. It’s going to be only a 5.1/5.2 setup for another 5 or 10 years, my main way of content consumption will be from streaming services such as Netflix, Prime video etc.

Help me find a decent AV receiver – I have shortlisted Yamaha HTR 3072/ Pioneer VSX 534 / Denon AVR X250BT

Regarding speakers, I shortlisted Micca MB42X for now and I planned to move them to the rear once I upgrade my LCR speakers in the near future. The impedence of the Micca speakers are rated 4 – 8 ohms and the power output is 70W, which AV receiver mentioned above is best suited for that?

If you have any other suggestion for AV receivers or speakers or the setup, they are most welcome. Help me out.

Thanks

Guru

Welcome to the forum Guru. What is your maximum budget? The avr’s you have shortlisted are basic and will be good enough for a small room and may fall short of your expectations in a medium to large size rooms.Prices are very high at the moment for AV gears. If majority of your viewing is OTT you can invest in a good sound bar that comes with surrounds. It may be better compared to a basic avr and speaker set up for OTT contents. If you don’t want to compromise and only want a avr set up please look at Denon 1600 or the Yamaha rxv4a.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am new to this whole thing, so I have a lot of questions. My budget is 50K at the moment and I am willing to have a 2.0 setup and grow it from there.
1. The AVR's will not produce good sound quality enough for a 14*14 ft room?
2. You said, if OTT is my major content consumption then I can opt for soundbars, then what way of content consumption is most suited for AVR?

Currently I have a Mi soundbar which is okayish. I wanted the real deal so I opted to go for AVR setup. Can you please suggest what can be done for the above mentioned budget?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am new to this whole thing, so I have a lot of questions. My budget is 50K at the moment and I am willing to have a 2.0 setup and grow it from there.
1. The AVR's will not produce good sound quality enough for a 14*14 ft room?
2. You said, if OTT is my major content consumption then I can opt for soundbars, then what way of content consumption is most suited for AVR?

Currently I have a Mi soundbar which is okayish. I wanted the real deal so I opted to go for AVR setup. Can you please suggest what can be done for the above mentioned budget?

Avr set up will be good even for OTT but I assume you are expecting a good set up which is not possible in a 50k budget. The avr’s I suggested alone will cost you 50k or more for the denon. Since ur new better audition a few set up once lock down is lifted. This will give u an idea about the options available in various budget

Hello guys,

I am Guru. It’s been a childhood dream for me to watch movies in my home with all those sound effects that are in a theatre. I think now I am ready to set up my first ever home theatre. At the beginning, I thought that with a budget of INR 50K, I can build a great sound system. There were a lot of 5.1 home theatre package systems and Dolby atmos sound bars and even many YouTube reviewers claimed to get theatrical sound effects with those. I was not satisfied with those, I will never ever believe that having one single sound bar can give 7 channel effect or a surround effect. So I further researched about sound systems and then I went into the world of AV receivers, pre outs, bookshelf speakers, towers, impedance, watts etc…so after a lot of YouTube, Forums and so on, I have decided to build my theatre set up from a 2.0 set up and add speakers and components as I go on.

I need your help in choosing the right AV receiver and speakers. The space I’m setting this up is my living room – 14*14 ft. It’s going to be only a 5.1/5.2 setup for another 5 or 10 years, my main way of content consumption will be from streaming services such as Netflix, Prime video etc.

Help me find a decent AV receiver – I have shortlisted Yamaha HTR 3072/ Pioneer VSX 534 / Denon AVR X250BT

Regarding speakers, I shortlisted Micca MB42X for now and I planned to move them to the rear once I upgrade my LCR speakers in the near future. The impedence of the Micca speakers are rated 4 – 8 ohms and the power output is 70W, which AV receiver mentioned above is best suited for that?

If you have any other suggestion for AV receivers or speakers or the setup, they are most welcome. Help me out.

Thanks

Guru

The AVR you listed are entry level and do not offer the level of performance the 40-50k AVRs would offer. However they are quiet decent and many forum members have been using these without regrets so I wont dissuade you from going for these. On the AVR side personally I would recommend you to pick one of the following Denon X1600H / Marantz NR1509/1609 or Yamaha V4A/ RX-V585 based on price and availability. If you feel you do not want to cross the 30k barrier than the least I would recommend is Denon X550BT (if you are being quoted 35k for this then please raise your budget and get a Yamaha V4A , these are not worth beyond 28/29k)

On the speaker side you can have a look at Taga Harmony 506/606 packages under 35k. This should help you get a fully fucntioning capable 5.0 system (without a subwoofer) at about 80-85k/65k overall depending on which AVR you choose to go for.

Hello guys,

Thanks

Guru
chk this sale in chennai , may help u bargaining

Avr set up will be good even for OTT but I assume you are expecting a good set up which is not possible in a 50k budget. The avr’s I suggested alone will cost you 50k or more for the denon. Since ur new better audition a few set up once lock down is lifted. This will give u an idea about the options available in various budget
Yes I should go experience it to make a decision.

The AVR you listed are entry level and do not offer the level of performance the 40-50k AVRs would offer. However they are quiet decent and many forum members have been using these without regrets so I wont dissuade you from going for these. On the AVR side personally I would recommend you to pick one of the following Denon X1600H / Marantz NR1509/1609 or Yamaha V4A/ RX-V585 based on price and availability. If you feel you do not want to cross the 30k barrier than the least I would recommend is Denon X550BT (if you are being quoted 35k for this then please raise your budget and get a Yamaha V4A , these are not worth beyond 28/29k)

On the speaker side you can have a look at Taga Harmony 506/606 packages under 35k. This should help you get a fully fucntioning capable 5.0 system (without a subwoofer) at about 80-85k/65k overall depending on which AVR you choose to go for.
Denon 550BT is quoted 40K in some websites. As someone said earlier, seems like all these AVR's and speakers are quoted higher price now. But Denon 550BT and Yamaha HTR 3072 seems to have same features, the Denon has 2 subwoofers outs. My whole budget is 50k now and I am willing to have to 2.0 setup.

Audition is the key, mate.

Some are blown away by the sound produced by a mid level soundbar. Some are dissatisfied even with a decent HT system :confused:

How good is good enough depends on the individual. Unless you audition, you may not know what you really need.

Many here are rocking 3072. Very satisfied with its performance. At the same time, remember you get what you paid for.

I used to love my Creative 2.1 speakers while in college. I still have those, and now I cannot believe these are the same speakers I admired once.

As @fLUX suggested, go for Yamaha v4a, or a discontinued rx4xx/ 5xx series. And a pair of bookshelves. This needs a little push to your budget.

Later you can save up and get a subwoofer making the setup 2.1. Once you feel it is time to invest in a pair of good speakers for fronts, do that and assign the existing fronts for surround duty.

Most of us have gone this route. Yes, it sure takes time. But worth it.

Do consider. Good luck :)

Audition is the key, mate.

Some are blown away by the sound produced by a mid level soundbar. Some are dissatisfied even with a decent HT system :confused:

How good is good enough depends on the individual. Unless you audition, you may not know what you really need.

Many here are rocking 3072. Very satisfied with its performance. At the same time, remember you get what you paid for.

I used to love my Creative 2.1 speakers while in college. I still have those, and now I cannot believe these are the same speakers I admired once.

As @fLUX suggested, go for Yamaha v4a, or a discontinued rx4xx/ 5xx series. And a pair of bookshelves. This needs a little push to your budget.

Later you can save up and get a subwoofer making the setup 2.1. Once you feel it is time to invest in a pair of good speakers for fronts, do that and assign the existing fronts for surround duty.

Most of us have gone this route. Yes, it sure takes time. But worth it.

Do consider. Good luck :)

Thanks mate. Yes I am looking to build up from 2.0 setup.

Hello guys,

Thanks

Guru
Hi Guru, you may consider Pioneer VSX933 or Onkyo TXNR696 or Denon AVRX2500H. All these are 7.2 configuration. Pioneer is low budget, Onkyo middle budget & Denon high budget

Since you are movie oriented I can suggest you Denon bro .. About speakers you can tune any speaker according to your liking with tweaks on AV Receiver side

so go a good decent brand speakers which you can afford

Hello guys,

Thanks

Guru
You can consider Marantz avr

50K budget is tuff for even basic system. Consider Denon X550BT in basics + 2.1 speakers then add later surrounds. i.e. canton movie 135 bt still it will go 65k+. Or you may buy used AV Receiver setup. OR any JBL 5.1 Sound bar around 60K.

I know you have pretty much decided on your speakers but have you considered buying FS? They will help you as you can buy subs as the last thing as these will have enough bass and you can later add the center and surrounds and subs. Lets say your 50K is a hard limit, are you open to something used?If you are you can perhaps buy 'something like this' - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/polk-audio-tsi-500-for-sale.85209/. You might not even have to upgrade your fronts later.

For the AVRs you can perhaps look at something in the used market like these -

PLEASE NOTE -
********* I have no affiliation with the sellers nor am I endorsing the products in the posted links. These are just for reference for an alternate way to go about it - obviously you should audition if possible.
********** I know used goods carry a huge risk as they are almost always out of warranty and it is a lot about luck, but I have personally used many in the past and always got something worth a lot more for a lot less including my first HT setup and my first stereo setup which I used for years. It is one way to go about it and you can always upgrade what you do not like later.
********* The AVR might be worth investing in new, as that will get you all the latest features like eARC or Dolby Vision etc, BUT if you do not need those, consider something used.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Thanks

Guru
"It’s been a childhood dream for me to watch movies in my home with all those sound effects that are in a theatre". This is your opening sentence which most of us had or have including me. I am sharing my experience in this journey.

If you really want theatre like sound effects then do not waste your time and money in AVRs or home/ hifi speakers. You are not going get anywhere near to the theatre like experience.

I found the real magic in the following

1. Preamp and power amp combo in place of AVR
2. Professional speakers like Beyma in place of home/hifi speakers

It's high time we should ask the dealers to keep these stuffs in display or go the DIY way to achieve one's dream

Of course it cannot be achieved with a budget of 50K.

"It’s been a childhood dream for me to watch movies in my home with all those sound effects that are in a theatre". This is your opening sentence which most of us had or have including me. I am sharing my experience in this journey.

If you really want theatre like sound effects then do not waste your time and money in AVRs or home/ hifi speakers. You are not going get anywhere near to the theatre like experience.

I found the real magic in the following

1. Preamp and power amp combo in place of AVR
2. Professional speakers like Beyma in place of home/hifi speakers

It's high time we should ask the dealers to keep these stuffs in display or go the DIY way to achieve one's dream

Of course it cannot be achieved with a budget of 50K.
Sorry - but this isn’t what the OP wanted The OP specifically wanted to have HT experience and having a pre - power - one would never get that. A dedicated AVR will certainly offer immersive theatre like experience if set up correctly. 100%

I am sure there will be many FMs here who would agree with this view.

There are several well rated units from brands like Denon - Onkyo - Marantz - Yamaha and Sony - just to name a few. His budget is limited but we all started somewhere and learned the ropes as we along and upgraded ... that’s the way to do it.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back