help me to choose between the Marantz 5004 or 6003 CD player

Brajendu

hello Friends/experts here,

I'm deciding to get either the Marantz 5004 or 6003 CD player. I can see the 5004 is available in Marantz website but the 6003 is no more visible. Is it that they discontinued the 6003? what is the difference between these two models, apart from the USB? can anybody enlighten me kindly? Or is there any other better CDP in the similar price of 18-22K?

(I recently got a Marantz PM5004 amp with a pair of Pulz bokshelf speakers. I'll post my few pics of my setup soon here. They sound great in my large hall. I've started appreciating good audio. I'm using my old LG DVD player for music (jazz, soft guitar, sax, Indian classical etc. But I think It's incomplete without a dedicated CD player.)

I got it in 21k from Pune with B/W. PM5004 is a very good amp in this price range, It's musical, I'm satisfied with it very much.

The DAC chip is slightly different. See the comparison here. Go to specifications section you will see the differences.

At one of the Hi-fi shows in UK Marantz including the man behind marantz Ken Ishiwata were promoting CD5004 more than CD6003.

Though there were few differences I don't think you will be able to notice it apart from the USB feature.

BTW what is the price difference between CD5004 and CD6003?

Thanks Ravi, your link is very helpful for the comparison. It seems that the 6003 is more weight, more capable with a better DAC (of course more power consumption. It consume 19w where as 5004 takes 14w), so I'm wondering WHY Ken Ishiwata was promoting CD5004 more than CD6003.

Now the price is almost same for both. Does anybody have any idea why is the 6003 got discontinued?

In my opinion for business reason and to sell more of NA 7004.

Now future will be all in player + DAC without CD Transport. Since at Entry level they already have CD5004 and NA7004 for network + iPOD and tuner.

CD6003 was staying in between ,my guess. In my opinion its time to pick CD6003 as soon its available

Thanks
Venkat

CD6003 probably uses the CS4398 DAC whereas the CD5004 uses the CS4392 and improved circuitry from its predecessor CD5003.

Maybe for marketing reasons, Marantz want to drive sales of the entry level cdp CD5004that would pay off the tooling charges (or else Ken Ish..and his team would be made redundant :)

I contacted Viola and Alliance-4 ... They also informed that the PM and CD ***4 series is goin to be launched within 10-15 days... new stock s gonna arrive... That is the reason they may sale out ***3 series CDP and PM-(amps) at lower price...

Hi,

My two bits- instead of going for a dedicated cdp try out a new DAC whch can take digital inputs frm your existing player- LG. Also it will help you play mp3s, flac files etc from your pc.

Guys thanks everybody for providing me with your advises. I finally picked the CD6003 today from the group buy (started by Denom) and just arrived at home,:) I'm so much excited :yahoo:to fit it into my setup. I'll let you know how it's performing asap.

Guys thanks everybody for providing me with your advises. I finally picked the CD6003 today from the group buy (started by Denom) and just arrived at home,:) I'm so much excited :yahoo:to fit it into my setup. I'll let you know how it's performing asap.

Congrats Brajendu!

Bury the question if a dedicated Cdp is better than your sound card. I'm sure your answer will benefit many on the forum.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3 + PMC TB2/ Vintage highly modified B&W DM4 > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back